Ministry list of "Street? legal bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ministry list of "Street? legal bikes?

komodo

Do any of you guys know if such a list exists?
I ask because I'm interested in buying a dual sport bike, more dirt than road (ex. KTM EXC).
How does the MOT know whether the bikes are off road only or dual sport?
I want to get something that I can trailer across the border and ride mainly off road.
Looking at some used bikes and some are "blue" plated some like the KTM EXC can be licenced for the road. Is there a list I can look up and save me the hassle of fighting with the MOT?

TIA

It is stated on the paperwork that comes with the bike and which gets submitted to the government when the bike is first registered.

It is also cross checked through the VIN to filter out people who might otherwise play shenanigans.

Simple way to check: look at the bike's VIN plate. If it has a symbol of a maple leaf inside a circle with the letters "CMVSS" (Canadian motor vehicle safety standards) along with some wording to the effect that "this vehicle conforms to applicable Canadian motor vehicle safety standards as of the date of manufacture" then it is a road legal vehicle and it was originally manufactured as such, and there should be no problem.

I have a bike that specifically states on it that it is for offroad competition only. It is blue plated and totally road legal. This is a gray area that is getting smaller because you can't just throw lights and signals on a dirt bike anymore.

It also depends on the person at Service Ontario that you deal with. I've known people that have had 100% MX bikes become "dual sports".

So is guess TL:DR would be, No, there is no list.

My dirt bike says off road use only as well and is blue plated as well. Once they are plated all is good but you can't convert a green to blue plate anymore. If it is used and has a road plate all is good.

sent from a device using a program

This is where the confusion comes in for me. Blue plate means what? Green is off road only. What's the difference between blue and a regular white plate?
What happens if I buy a used KTM exc that was green plated. But I want to get a regular white plate?
I was hoping that there was some kind on VIN convention to sort it all out? Would be nice to know before buying.

^ Blue plate = street legal (what you think of as white plate).

If ownership says MCL - FIT, PLATED , BRAND - NONE, you are good to go!
If ownership says OFF (Off-road Only), BRAND - IRREPARABLE, BRAND - SALVAGE, you will not be able to make it street legal. If it say MCL - UNF it will require a safety first.

Last edited:
Yes, they both have white backgrounds - it's the colour of the letters/numbers that people refer to as blue/green.

Lol yeah I got that. Kind of opposite of how I thought it was working. Never had an off road plated bike before.
Had a dirt bike once upon an time but it was never plated.

Note there is an actual ALL blue motorcycle license plate with white lettering which is a "Dealer Plate" so dont get confused by "Blue" plate. He means a standard white plate with blue letters

Off road ownerships are a pinkish, brown color, like that of a snowmobile. On road bikes will be the same color as your car/truck which I think is green to confuse you some more.

the days of street plating off road bikes is over, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom