Old Sportbikes Cheaper? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Sportbikes Cheaper?

spray____

Site Supporter
I've heard rumours that once sportbikes reach a certain age (15 or 20 years) some companies classify them as regular motorcycles and not stupidly expensive sportbikes. I'm considering switching it up this winter. We moved recently and my insurance went up about 20% just because of that. With a new born on the way, I'm finding it hard to justify paying that much money just for the privilege of riding.

Before I give in and get a sport touring bike, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a company that is reasonable and what age the bike has to be. I'm open to anything right now.

30 years old
Full M last June
Full G for 10+ years
Clean record

Last edited:
Give an Allstate agent a call. Full M and 30 years old meets their criteria.
They have some pretty competitive rates. For me the difference between an R6 and an R1 was only a couple hundred per YEAR. Guess which one I chose ;) ?

I've got a '98 Honda VTR1000 that Intact insurance classified as no-longer a sportbike... lol.

$750 a year. I'm 34.

Have a cbr929 that turns 15 next year. Probably going to switch it up and put her back on the road.

Awesome. I've got car insurance with Intact so maybe they'll do an even better deal.

I spent the better part of my lunch hour getting quotes on a 99 R1 and 97 ZX7. Statefarm was $2400, TD was $3400. If I could get any sportbike under $1000, I'd consider that a win.

Thanks guys.

I was told on the phone today state farm only cares about CCs. The age and type of bike are irrelevant.

Hmm I do have my car with them , probably that and probably area helps

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Called AllState on my lunch today, they said they don't insure motorcycles by themselves, and that was about the end of the conversation.

Called my broker who I have Intact car insurance through and he said "16 or 17 years, something like that." He also suggested I might get a good rate if I've had my M2 for more than 2 years, otherwise it will be hard. He's going to call me back, but I don't have a lot of faith that he knows what he's talking about.

It's bad enough we get raped in this province, but the difficulty of getting a quote is just pouring salt in the wound. I spent 30 ****ing minutes on the phone with TD yesterday giving them all my personal information, agreeing that I'm being recorded, and that I'll get sent all their marketing material, and only after all that **** do they tell me $3400/yr.

It seems like getting a sport touring bike would be a hell of a lot easier, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

Called AllState on my lunch today, they said they don't insure motorcycles by themselves, and that was about the end of the conversation.

Called my broker who I have Intact car insurance through and he said "16 or 17 years, something like that." He also suggested I might get a good rate if I've had my M2 for more than 2 years, otherwise it will be hard. He's going to call me back, but I don't have a lot of faith that he knows what he's talking about.

It's bad enough we get raped in this province, but the difficulty of getting a quote is just pouring salt in the wound. I spent 30 ****ing minutes on the phone with TD yesterday giving them all my personal information, agreeing that I'm being recorded, and that I'll get sent all their marketing material, and only after all that **** do they tell me $3400/yr.

It seems like getting a sport touring bike would be a hell of a lot easier, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

AllState Agent is Bull$hitting you. Call another agent.. Went through the same myself.

Sportbikes over 15 years old are considered regular bikes, premiums will be based on CC's, rider age and how many years the rider has been licensed

Last edited:
Still not having much luck with this.

Everyone at AllState keeps telling me they don't do standalone policies for sport bikes. I even got a reference for a motorcycle friendly insurance agent and he said the same thing. Doesn't matter if the bike is 15+ years old either.

I take it back about my insurance broker, he's the best price I've found so far. It's with Intact, and rates start to get good when the bike is 16 years old or more. I got quoted $1158 for every single bike I tried 98 or older, 600cc and up. Seems ridiculous to me. 1998 R1 is $1158, 1999 R6 is blacklisted. I imagine that will shift on new years day.

Back
Top Bottom