So confused about what to get next...... | GTAMotorcycle.com

So confused about what to get next......

Brant Bandit

I love the big sport tourers like FJR1300 and Concours 1400. I thought I had my mind made up that I would look for a 2010+ used Concours late next year (when I'll be in a position to buy), but damn.....Kawasaki just threw me a curve ball. Have you seen the new Versys? The 2015 650 LT looks pretty sweet with the hard bags and top box. I don't really need a litre plus....my 600 Bandit has all the guts I need.....the bike is still faster than I am. I'm not planning any mega tours with my wife.....my bike is basically a commuter with the odd 3-4 hour trip thrown in.

So confused. I'd love the wind protection of a bigger fairing, but the versys can go pretty much anywhere....there are some groomed trails up by my family cottage that I could take the versys on that I would never take a Concours on.

The versys 1000 lt looks cool too and either versys would get better mileage than an FJR or Concours, and perhaps be more fun and nimble when I'm just putting about by myself.....

Sigh......I love motorcycles.......

Make a list of potential bikes, and test ride in the spring. You'll have your conclusion afterwards.

Versys 650 has that buzzy engine from the Ninja and ER6N, not sure how much fun that would be on long rides.

You need to demo a V-Strom 650, the motor is much better.

DL650AEXPL3_2.jpeg

The v-strom looks great, but those bags are, umm.....not my taste. I love the sporty integrated look of the new Versys bags.

I think I'm just happy to see some middleweight options with factory bags. I carry stuff (work laptop, rain gear, etc) and need lockable storage.

Versys 650 has that buzzy engine from the Ninja and ER6N, not sure how much fun that would be on long rides.

The 650 Versys was a fun bike to ride, the buzzy engine is the reason I did not go with it. The 1000 felt big and bulky to me, but I'm only 5'8". If you're not dead set on these bikes you should take a look at the CB500X, I've never read about anyone who regrets buying that bike or even many negatives thing said and it's much cheaper. Power is a little lower though.

I think I'm just happy to see some middleweight options with factory bags. I carry stuff (work laptop, rain gear, etc) and need lockable storage.

Why settle for a second-best bike just because of luggage you can get 3rd party, usually better?

Burgman 650 doesn't have chain and is a wonderfully capable machine.

Bandit 600 has 80 HP, versys 650 64 HP, vstrom 650 67 HP. That's a big hit.

dyno is only 65hp on the Bandito, but the V-strom has 5ftlbs more torque, and peak torque is at 6000, as opposed to 9250 on the Bandit. More torque lower revs more fun.

146_0805_18_z+SR_comparison_test+horsepower_and_torque_chart.jpg

bndt_1999b6_s1so.gif

Bandit 600 has 80 HP, versys 650 64 HP, vstrom 650 67 HP. That's a big hit.

Points taken there. If it was noticeably less powerful than my Bandit I wouldn't be happy.....a 16 hp difference might be too much. Have to look at the weight too...the bandit is a big old pig, but surprisingly nimble for it's size. I really do love my Bandit....it's a great bike.

I`m in the same boat atm. Trying to decide between the v-strom 650 or the cb500x. My brother-in-law has the v-strom and loves the bike.
I will be riding to newfoundland next summer. Can`t wait. :)

Let me help: V Strom 650.

Or wait until next year and go for this:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-yamaha-fj-09-leakpocalypse/

Assuming that they've improved the fueling problems and suspension from the current FZ, it could be an amazing option in the mid-size soft adventure/tall touring category.

2015 FZ MSRP is $9,000, wet weight 414 lbs, 107 hp and 62 foot-pounds of torque on a dyno

2015 V-Strom 650 is $9,100, wet weight 472 lbs, 64 hp and 42 foot pounds of torque on a dyno

Given the stats on the FZ, I suspect the FJ will weigh less than the V-Strom, hopefully keep similar power & torque to the FZ and only be a few 100 $$$ more than the Strom. Hopefully we'll find out more from the EICMA show in a few days.

I know it's a personal thing but, I would never buy anything less than a 1000 for any kind of serious touring. I was out west earlier in the fall and the speed limits in many of the western states start at 70mph and in Utah it is 80mph. Sometimes you can't avoid the four lanes and you will risk being run over by the semis if you can't maintain those kinds of speeds. I 650 will be trying to shake it self out the frame at those speeds, not to mention being blown around by the strong desert winds or by the buffeting caused by the trucks passing you at 85mph. Now a FJR is a relatively heavy bike but is quite nimble at speed, at no time have I felt it was too big and heavy for twisty mountain roads, which we rode most of the time. We rode all over California, including the Pacific Coast Highway and the Sonara Pass and the FJR was perfectly suited throughout. Even rode some dirt roads, after making a wrong turn, no problem. Had a bit of an issue staying fender to tail with a Ducati in Northern AZ. but I had a full load and he was riding a testasratta monster, so not fair. 400 kms. on a tankful and runs on anything oily. But obviously I have made my choice, just make sure you are sure of what kind of riding you want to do. It really sucks to be 200kms from home, in the rain, 12 degrees and no adjustable fairing or heated grips, just 2 hours of wind buffeted torture. Just my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom