lane splitting study | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lane splitting study

I don't agree with what you are saying. I think most people most of the time drive well. Time after time I hear reports from the MOT saying Ontario roads are the safest in North America.

http://www.trucknews.com/health-saf...s-truck-related-fatalities-down-24/1000442827

The problem we have is that the Police, Politicians, and the Media are in a partnership to create Machiavellian laws with vindictive and financially crippling fines for an ever increasing number of offenses. Sure fines for distracted driving I agree with. BUT they must apply to every driver! Just tonite I was beside a transit security officer diddling with his computer while stopped at a red light. Cops in Toronto are staked out at intersections dressed as construction workers handing out $300+ tickets to John or Jane Q. public for checking their texts at a stoplight. Why the double standard? Street racing? WTF. It was based on an incident where a guy named Manchester was killed along with his wife by so called street racers. Turns out the idiot was 3x over the BAC legal limit and the "street racers" weren't really street racing.

http://www.wheels.ca/a-hard-look-at-the-street-racing-law/

Are ex Ontario Alcoholic Attorney General was grandstanding at one time with street racers cars being crushed in a photo op.

http://www.thestar.com/news/2007/06/21/province_will_crush_your_car_and_the_parts_racers_told.html

Well, guess what he ends up doing? Getting into a minor mix up with a cyclist, and because of his status thinks he can drag the guy around Bloor street risking other drivers and pedestrians up until the point the he peels the guy off the side of his car by hitting a mail box. Good old MB doesn't even need to go through the inconvenience of a trial. Mike just hires a PR firm (navigator) that holds a trial in the press.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/michael-bryants-spin-class/article4286381/

Lets relax a whole slew of laws in Canada so that the average guy is not fined and or jailed for doing the same things as cops and politicians that don't seem to have the same level of enforcement focused on them .

I agree. Wish I would still be alive when the people wake up and rage against the machine.

The pro splitter crowd seems to be only focused on the fact they're amazing skilled riders.

I'm fully of the opinion that the majority of riders are not capable of hitting cars. Hell, how many bad gta driver/rider vids have been posted on this site alone to help that arguement along?

Frankly i'm not prepared to have my insurance go up for those that hit (and run) while splitting?

The pro splitter crowd seems to be only focused on the fact they're amazing skilled riders.

nah, we're just trying to tell you that if you don't think splitting can be done safely you probably don't belong on a motorcycle to begin with.

I see people skateboard stopping, wobbling, etc... when I ride up here a lot more than in CA. I don't think knowing how to properly use the rear brake to make slow speed maneuvering makes me an "amazing skilled rider" but to each their own.

as for your hilariously erroneous insurance comment: you really think insurance is going to go up for a few knocked off mirrors?

I've only ever rubbed a car once, and I stopped and made sure that a) there was no real damage and b) she didn't want to call it in or make a claim against my insurance...I'm pretty anti-cager, if someone like me can be responsible when they make a mistake I think you're assuming the worst of your fellow ONT riders to say there would be so many mirror claims from splitting that your insurance rates would rise.

In many European cities, there are two stop lines at intersections, one for the cars, and one further ahead for bikes that are allowed to filter through stopped traffic. Never seen a problem with this.
But, in Europe, it is also common to turn left on a light in car and have scooters on either side of you turning with you. Seems nuts to us.

The point is, there are many solutions, but it all comes down to how well drivers are trained, on bikes and cars, this is where we have a huge problem in North America: they hold a mirror up to your face, if it steams up, you get a license, and you never, ever get tested again.

driver training isn't really relevant for lane splitting - they don't even see you until you're already past.

as the splitter it's your responsibility to watch for cars who will want to change lanes into empty space, signaling or not.

some of this stuff you won't understand until you start splitting regularly, unfortunately

I lane split every day on my bicycle. It's hella dangerous because drivers don't look, or care.
BTW...there is no actual law against lane splitting in Ontario. I once had a very irate woman get out of her car and yell at me and a cop in a cruiser that what I was doing was illegal. Wrong.

This is discussed in this video of epic lane splitting in Ontario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP08wJrXnE0

If this is ever allowed, be prepared for backlash from angry drivers, who somehow think it is a law that if they are stuck in traffic, all vehicles should be stuck in traffic.

Last edited:
driver training isn't really relevant for lane splitting - they don't even see you until you're already past.

as the splitter it's your responsibility to watch for cars who will want to change lanes into empty space, signaling or not.

some of this stuff you won't understand until you start splitting regularly, unfortunately

Wow. You're posts get better and better. Please school us oh wise one. Most of us are just posers who don't belong on a motorcycle. I see you must be the best rider ever with the most experience. We await your teachings :rolleyes:

I see however your command of the English language sucks. Drivers here are a huge problem and while you might expertly think otherwise after your astounding few visits and I'm sure tons of miles and splits, statistics say you're very wrong.

Wow. You're posts get better and better. Please school us oh wise one. Most of us are just posers who don't belong on a motorcycle. I see you must be the best rider ever with the most experience. We await your teachings :rolleyes:

I see however your command of the English language sucks. Drivers here are a huge problem and while you might expertly think otherwise after your astounding few visits and I'm sure tons of miles and splits, statistics say you're very wrong.

If you read my other posts you would realize that I grew up here and drove here for just over 10 years before I moved away...I'm very familiar with Ontario drivers, and they are among the most polite in North America.

If they seem like such a 'big problem' to you, it might be that you are the common negative factor in all your interactions with these seemingly horrible drivers.

Could it be that maybe you know this on some level, and that's why you get offended by the tone of my posts and take it as some sort of personal insult?

I can't be bothered to search you out on here. This thread contains enough dribble for reference. I'm not offended I just think you're wrong. The drivers here are among the worst in the country and I've lived in more than just this province. As for me being the negative factor... If by negative factor you mean riding across a highway like a normal person and having these mid life crisis twats in their cars try to race me, cut me off etc because they're entitled then I guess yes I'm the negative factor. Could be there's just a ton of ******* drivers here. Crazy concept I know.

I can't be bothered to search you out on here. This thread contains enough dribble for reference. I'm not offended I just think you're wrong. The drivers here are among the worst in the country and I've lived in more than just this province. As for me being the negative factor... If by negative factor you mean riding across a highway like a normal person and having these mid life crisis twats in their cars try to race me, cut me off etc because they're entitled then I guess yes I'm the negative factor. Could be there's just a ton of ******* drivers here. Crazy concept I know.

Sounds like you're riding too slow and/or riding in people's blind spots.

I've driven and ridden in many different areas - just finished a 3800km ride across the entire US to get up here - Ontario drivers are better than OK, IA, IL, and MI - by far, and in the many miles I've covered since I got here, not a single close call....again, the only thing in your control is your riding, and it sounds like it needs changing.

I've driven and ridden in many different areas - just finished a 3800km ride across the entire US to get up here - Ontario drivers are better than OK, IA, IL, and MI - by far, and in the many miles I've covered since I got here, not a single close call....again, the only thing in your control is your riding, and it sounds like it needs changing.

Dude just stop. You're so wrong it's not funny. I'm amazed I didn't get a ticket this season so slow isn't it and I avoid blind spots like the plague. This isn't my first year. I'd take that crystal ball in for warranty, it's broken. It's not just me either fortune teller. I know many who have had close calls or worse. I'm sure if you read the news you'd see a few headlines this year but hey I'm sure they were all bad riders too eh? :rolleyes:

Dude just stop. You're so wrong it's not funny. I'm amazed I didn't get a ticket this season so slow isn't it and I avoid blind spots like the plague. This isn't my first year. I'd take that crystal ball in for warranty, it's broken. It's not just me either fortune teller. I know many who have had close calls or worse. I'm sure if you read the news you'd see a few headlines this year but hey I'm sure they were all bad riders too eh? :rolleyes:

Not all of them, no, but some of them probably did die due to lack of skill. It's a sad thing.

I have very few close calls even riding in LA on the daily - you telling me that Ontario drivers are a "big problem" and that you almost get merged into and have close calls tells me you're doing it wrong.

"Just stop" yourself...stop trying to tone police me, you're not even adding anything to the discussion, just bitching.

Not all of them, no, but some of them probably did die due to lack of skill. It's a sad thing.

I would likely go with "most" of them, not 'some'. And to probably add another element to the mix, it's likely a lack of judgement/experience too.

3800kms is more than enough to reasonably come to a solid conclusion.....:rolleyes:

I lane split every day on my bicycle. It's hella dangerous because drivers don't look, or care.
BTW...there is no actual law against lane splitting in Ontario. I once had a very irate woman get out of her car and yell at me and a cop in a cruiser that what I was doing was illegal. Wrong.

A few years ago a gtam member got charged with stunt riding and had his bike impounded. Yes there is an actual law against it, 172.

A few years ago a gtam member got charged with stunt riding and had his bike impounded. Yes there is an actual law against it, 172.

G4Getmoney. #never4Get

Why do you live here? Move to the US. You get all the guns you want, and 100x the violent gun deaths. I don't understand why right wing gun nuts bother to live with us intellectual leftards when they can move to Florida.
As I understand it, many people with long guns tried to get in the face of politicians last week in Ottawa.

I was born in Ontario. Up until 1968 you could own a fully automatic firearm. Why did the people that wanted full auto banned not leave? I'd rather stay and get in the faces of politicians than run away like you would. Besides that, your response was ridiculous, I can't just go to the USA to live. You know the Citizenship thing.

I was born in Ontario. Up until 1968 you could own a fully automatic firearm. Why did the people that wanted full auto banned not leave? I'd rather stay and get in the faces of politicians than run away like you would. Besides that, your response was ridiculous, I can't just go to the USA to live. You know the Citizenship thing.

Anti-gun people are some of the dumbest most indoctrinated people in this world - your truths will be falling on deaf ears most likely.

Anti-gun people are some of the dumbest most indoctrinated people in this world - your truths will be falling on deaf ears most likely.

Unfortunately you are right. What I feel sorry for, is that too many people do not realize that with freedom there are risks. The people that want a nanny state want safety at any cost. We are seeing that cost financially and socially. Skyrocketing police budgets and the militarization of the police. At the hospital I worked at a DRPS vehicle parked by the ER department had an AR15 proudly displayed in a rack in the front seat. The Oshawa court house has a high security entrance way with metal detectors and xray equipment. This court house is mostly family and small claims court. Like what are these guys so scared of? The DRPS has a tactical rescue vehicle and a helicopter. I myself didn't think Durham region was that dangerous.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=DRPS...w-tactical-rescue-vehicle-1310804%2F;1020;574

http://www.helicoptersmagazine.com/content/view/2054/38/

We have police officers acting as Judge Jury and executioner in the death of Clayton Rivet. Politicians are on a mission to make it so safe in this country even if it kills us doing so.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nour_pefferlaw_man_killed_in_york_region.html

Back
Top Bottom