lane splitting study | GTAMotorcycle.com

lane splitting study

ppl are unskilled as is to stay in their own gd lanes, think they'd do well between cars?

I dont' mind if they legalize it but here's to more variables for insurance claims.

55763594.jpg

It will never happen in Ontario period. Unless there is a total overhaul of the graduate licensing system with proper in class training.
Plus you would have to convince every Ontario cager with a "me first" attitude, that this is benifiting them.
Also convince the government that motorcycle transit can be beneficial. Not going to happen. They are only concerned about how your muffler sounds. The only way it would be legal is if the government can deepen their pockets somehow with its legalization.

I'd wish for it, but let's face it, you can't change centuries of doing things the wrong way.
I

It will never happen in Ontario period. Unless there is a total overhaul of the graduate licensing system with proper in class training.
Plus you would have to convince every Ontario cager with a "me first" attitude, that this is benifiting them.
Also convince the government that motorcycle transit can be beneficial. Not going to happen. They are only concerned about how your muffler sounds. The only way it would be legal is if the government can deepen their pockets somehow with its legalization.

I'd wish for it, but let's face it, you can't change centuries of doing things the wrong way.
I

Simply put, the Seasons don't allow for this. The cold and winter can't sustain enough 2-wheeled traffic to warrant any change. Yes there are people that can ride year-round, but vast majority of people ride from May to August at best. Even then, there aren't enough riders that would warrant a systemic change. Licensing is only a part of it. We're simply out numbered.

I

Lets not forget all the idiots on 2 wheels with the "Me First" mentality. Over all there is a lack of knowledge, skill and respect on our roads which would not help the situation.

Simply put, the Seasons don't allow for this. The cold and winter can't sustain enough 2-wheeled traffic to warrant any change. Yes there are people that can ride year-round, but vast majority of people ride from May to August at best. Even then, there aren't enough riders that would warrant a systemic change. Licensing is only a part of it. We're simply out numbered.

whereas in places like Barcelona it's far more evenly split cars to two wheelers and yes splitting is legal.
DSCN0709.jpg
and every stop light is a drag race as they all move to the front of the intersection.

I could see Toronto moving closer to a Copenhagen model ( also wintery ) with the emphasis on bicycle travel and cars positively discouraged in the city centre. ( 180 % sales tax on ICE cars helps sway the mix ).
Thousands of bicycles are parked in teh downtown stations - there are no parking spaces for cars.

To a degree...we have lane splitting for bicycles and eBikes and I'll do if it gets stupid frustrating...what's a cop gonna do in heavy traffic....chase you on foot :D

Last edited:
Toronto will not reach a Copenhagen transit model ... I know the politicians and environmentalists dream of it, but it will not happen.

The main reason is that the winters are not comparable at all. Copenhagen seldom gets significant snowfall and seldom gets temperatures much below freezing; what snow does come down melts shortly. Copenhagen (and actually Denmark as a whole) is surrounded by the ocean and the ocean temperature is further moderated by the Gulf stream which is coming from points south. It is conceivable to ride a bicycle all year there (and the same is true of most cities in western Europe).

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2007/09/28/winter-cycling-in-toronto-vs-copenhagen/

The other thing is that the "S-train" in Copenhagen goes just about everywhere, and you can take your bicycle on the train to use it at both ends of your trip.

(You've seen my hair ... I'm from there!)

Lane splitting really does make sense. I've written to the Minister of Transportation about it, but one person's opinion will probably not make a dent. With enough pressure though, maybe we've got something.

Lane splitting really does make sense. I've written to the Minister of Transportation about it, but one person's opinion will probably not make a dent. With enough pressure though, maybe we've got something.

in a city that almost elected a hash dealer? I'm amazed Toronto hasn't banned bikes by now.
Wrong city, you cannot expect to take lessons from successful cities around the world and apply them to the most American city in Canada.

You and everyone here would be better off writing to your local MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly) about it. They are the ones with the real power to legalize lane splitting. Send a copy of the California study with your letter.

in a city that almost elected a hash dealer? I'm amazed Toronto hasn't banned bikes by now.
Wrong city, you cannot expect to take lessons from successful cities around the world and apply them to the most American city in Canada.

It's a shame that cancer prevented us from voting for a legend. Robbie might have been crazy enough to legalize splitting and spliffing. A few photo ops and some "loud crack pipes save lives" shirts and we'd be rolling. Tory couldn't run a political party or even a radio show--good luck on actually leading a city that re-elected the same seat-warmer council as last time. He'll be too busy trying to shore up the crumbling infrastructure and pander to the developers. Oh well, at least the communists were kept at bay. No telling what junk science they were going to attack us with.

Who did you write to? I can do this as well....

Did you hear back? I've been meaning to write them a long letter on our motorcycle training system and can factor this in as part of a series of recommendations

It's a shame that cancer prevented us from voting for a legend. Robbie might have been crazy enough to legalize splitting and spliffing. A few photo ops and some "loud crack pipes save lives" shirts and we'd be rolling. Tory couldn't run a political party or even a radio show--good luck on actually leading a city that re-elected the same seat-warmer council as last time. He'll be too busy trying to shore up the crumbling infrastructure and pander to the developers. Oh well, at least the communists were kept at bay. No telling what junk science they were going to attack us with.

We will all miss Rob Ford, who was not the biggest loser on city council. Toronto will continue to vote for potted plants who will do nothing, as long as they are under pressure to not raise taxes on a large group of people who won their shack in a bidding war, or who are about to see big condo repair bills on units built of some kind of cheese.

You and everyone here would be better off writing to your local MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly) about it. They are the ones with the real power to legalize lane splitting. Send a copy of the California study with your letter.

Yeah, write letters. Like that works. Maybe if some motorcycle company handed out envelopes of cash we could see this change.

Even if it were made legal, they don't teach drivers to be aware of lane splitters in drivers ed which means lots of cagers would hit them and not be at fault or have a good argument to contest charges in court.

Even if it were made legal, they don't teach drivers to be aware of lane splitters in drivers ed which means lots of cagers would hit them and not be at fault or have a good argument to contest charges in court.

I've been splitting non-stop in Ontario...your opinion is cute and perhaps a reasoned argument, but it's not true.

for lane splitting to work drivers just need to drive normally...signal lane changes and obey other laws.

Car drivers who say its unsafe even after the study proves otherwise...are ignorant...RIDERS who still try to say it isn't safe after the study has come out, and after numerous splitters like me inform them otherwise, are just morons, no other way around it.

Back
Top Bottom