ZX7R track bodywork | GTAMotorcycle.com

ZX7R track bodywork

smudger

Just wantingsome advice about track bodywork suppliers.
There’s not a ton of companies doing this bodywork for a 1991 ZX7R but the three I’ve found are:

Squidskins
Sharkskinz
Airtech

Out of these 3 companies what are everyone’s experience with using them as regards fitting & painting.

I do likethe idea of using Squidskins as there won’t be any shipping, I can just go & pick the bodywork up but I’m unsure of the quality.
I would rather hear other peoples experiences.

Thanks everyone, Smudger

How much is the bodywork from Squidskins?

I need a set for a 89, maybe two sets can get a better price?

I have a set of Sharkskinz on my track bike, bought the complete kit new directly from them. Shipping wasn't cheap (~$140) but the fit and finish is excellent. They can also pre-drill them for you and install 1/4 turn fasteners for a small fee. Perfect fit IMO and based on the many reviews I've searched and read, they hold up great in the event of a crash.

I've read some positive reviews on Squidskins (mostly on this forum) but if the price difference is minimal, I would consider the Sharkskinz.

Hey Jay,
Only companies doing bodywork for the 89-90 is Airtech (BTW thats me they use in their page from back in the day :)) and the Squidly one. His stuff is made from a set of plugs I did last summer. I took a set of OEM skins filled in the street bits and grafted on a oil retaining lower. Used OEM rear pieces and then frenched in a solo cover and filled in the taillight He snapped a mould off all of it. Mine was the first set out of the moulds fit is spot on, few blemishes to deal with it for nice paint. If your rattling it likely good to go. I was sponsored by Airtech back in the day (hense them using my pic) their stuff is a bit heavier but fit isnt bad. Big issue is no oil containment.

Hey Jay,
Squidskins quoted me $575 for upper & lower fairing & tail unit - that's the sale price until Dec 1st.
Sharksinz were closer to $800 + shipping.

Smudger

I run Sharkskinz on my 97 ZX7R. Painted up great, fit was perfect no modification to anything, 1/4 turn fasteners remove belly pan quick and easy, lots of flex in the panels with no sounds of stressing or cracking. Haven't crashed them so no idea how they hold up for that abuse.

Attachments

• DSC04419.jpg
    DSC04419.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hey Jay,
Squidskins quoted me $575 for upper & lower fairing & tail unit - that's the sale price until Dec 1st.
Sharksinz were closer to $800 + shipping.

Smudger

Sharkskinz dont have 89-90 last time I asked the 91 on is different He wants to race VRRA and they demand period correct bodywork.

Yea, you are correct Kneedragger, the pricing I quoted is only for the '91 model that I have.
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
Smudger

its track body work. its gonna hit the ground. Squids can repair it by popping it back in the mould. and he's a local longtime racer, support local. and his stuff is light and flexible. been on it since 2000
and he can make you a ton of cool carbon bits for the zx ask him. he has a monster 91 zx

I've painted James's bodywork before , finish is plenty fine fix a few pinholes and primer and go. No different then most, I've also seen at soar the bikes with his stuff. It fits just fine. You will be more then happy with your purchase from him. And he takes car of you when you crash and need it fixed.
To spend 800 plus shipping for a product that might be a 9/10 vs 8/10 isn't going to change the price to get it painted either.

Sharkskinz dont have 89-90 last time I asked the 91 on is different He wants to race VRRA and they demand period correct bodywork.

They let Hoffartth win season after season on his 89 ZX7 running 93/94 fairings.

We have 2+ seasons of 3 hr races, and a handful of sprint races (probably well over 3000 laps and once small crash) on Squidskins on our endurance bike. No problems to speak of. Fit great out of the box. TJ painted it and had no complaints to mention. A 100 kmh lowside resulted in only a one inch crack, probably due to good flexibility in the fairings.
Squidskins is local, supports local racing. SPend your $ with him. And he does fast and affordable repairs to his own brand.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I always try to buy local if I can & I was hoping to hear positive comments on Squids products as that was my 1st choice to be honest & people who use Squids seem happy with it which is good enough for me.
This will be my 1st time fitting track bodywork so that'll be an experience ;)

Smudger

Ha ha, no problem, I'll be back in touch with James before the Dec 1st deadline.
Smudger

My hubby use to make custom fiberlass parts & produced high quality products. Unfortunately, the shop he worked in closed so.... He ordered some fairings for a ZX7R from SquidSkins. Not only did they jerk him around with a timeframe but the quality was horrible! I picked up the pieces at night and could tell they were no good - and that was viewing by carlight ... and I'm not an expert at this stuff either.
The first experience wasn't a good one. My husband would've made his own but did not have the necessary matetials, time or space to build moulds, etc. I wish he would get back into custom parts, etc. He'd make a bunch of people really happy like use to.
Fiberglass parts, bike parts (dogbones, etc), etc. Sorry....he's just that good that I can't help but brag. LOL

MY THERAPY: my tunes, my bike and myself.

Last edited:
My hubby use to make custom fiberlass parts & produced high quality products. Unfortunately, the shop he worked in closed so.... He ordered some fairings for a ZX7R from SquidSkins. Not only did they jerk him around with a timeframe but the quality was horrible! I picked up the pieces at night and could tell they were no good - and that was viewing by carlight ... and I'm not an expert at this stuff either.
The first experience wasn't a good one. My husband would've made his own but did not have the necessary matetials, time or space to build moulds, etc. I wish he would get back into custom parts, etc. He'd make a bunch of people really happy like use to.
Fiberglass parts, bike parts (dogbones, etc), etc. Sorry....he's just that good that I can't help but brag. LOL

Your're husband bodywork couldn't have been that great if his company's went out of business. Squidskins has been around for like 20 years. Just saying.

It's nit that his company went out of business. The shop he was working out of closed and he didn't have means to open up somewhere else. He was a one man show. If you were familiar with his products and put it against theirs you'd see the difference. Just saying. :)

Well i Google hurricane fibers. I did not find much other then rc cars but nothing on motorcycle bodywork. I've been into motorcycles for over 40 years and the only Canadian bodywork company's that have come and gone are. body double (which ironically squidskins has most of his molds now) Mantis,Hyper-tech,Dura bodies,Daytona bodies,and for the criminals of the industry Triple x,Taurus and Mimic all of which have been proven to have ripped of their clientele. But have never heard of hurricane fibers. squidskins has outlasted all others company's.Yes he is an odd duck but i'm sure if you had called him with any complaints. I'm sure he would try to make it right.
Or maybe your're just one of those customers that just can't be pleased.
I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom