2014 Honda VFR800 OR Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS (not the 'R' Ninja). | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 Honda VFR800 OR Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS (not the 'R' Ninja).

BondJamesBond

I've always been a fan of the VFR but I recently started to look into the Kasawaki Ninja 1000 ABS and it's a really nice offering!

Some things I know off the top of my head:

VFR800 => 780cc, V4, Heated Grips, Traction Control, center stand, VTEC, about 30lbs heavier than the Kawi, Hard Integrated Luggage, MSRP is more expensive than the Kawi. With rebates -- price is similar.

Kawi 1000ABS => 1000cc, In-line 4, 3 levels of traction control, not sure about VTEC, no center stand, 30lbs lighter than VFR, hard Integrated luggage available, with rebates similar in price to VFR.

I'm looking for an all round fun bike to ride with potential to long distance travels to places such as Sturgis & the Black Mountains. I bet insurance is higher on the Ninja -- just the name will do it.

So what do you guys think? Kawi or VFR ? Why?

I found the table below on another forum.... ya ya I know..... plagurism

2014 Ninja 1000 2014 Honda VFR 800
Weight 509lbs 536lbs
Horsepower 125bhp at rear wheel 95bhp at rear wheel
Brakes high end monoblock high end floating
Suspension High end adjustable with hand knob High end adjustable with tools
Final drive chain chain
Traction Control 4 stage with rain mode 1 mode always on
ABS standard standard
Swingarm conventional single sided
Centerstand not available standard
Heated grips Kawasaki option standard
Gear position indicator not available standard
seat height 32.3" 31" or 31.8"
Quarter mile 10.6 sec 11.3 sec
0-60 3.0 sec 3.4 sec
Top speed 150mph GPS 146 mph
Variable value timing no yes (this is a negative)
Luggage Perfectly integrated Givi factory option Yes
Build quality 8 of 10 9 of 10 (subjective)
Alternator output 336w, 136w reserve max, unconfirmed 470w, 110w reserve max, many reported isues
Engine maps 2 maps, full power and 70% power rain mode 1 map full power
MPG 39 mpg 40 mpg
Valve Adjustments 15K 16K plus VVT complexity cost
Lights Halogen LED
Common issues need to bleed oil at oil change to prevent cavitation electrical system/rectifier failure
Seating position Stock all day comfortable sport touring much weight on wrists due to low clip ons (see options)
Available accessories heated grips 15mm bar riser
Adjustable Wind Screen Yes No

Sorry about the formatting. Can we do tables in GTA Motorcycle?

Last edited:
The luggage/mounts and center stand will make up most of that 30 lb difference. My vote is VFR just because I prefer V4 (or Vtwin) engines. Ride them both, then decide.

I am highly skeptical that the VFR800 makes 95hp at the wheel. I would choose the Ninja 1000 over the VFR800 mostly because I feel that the VFR800 is criminally overpriced considering how old the design is. I owned a Ninja 1000 and liked it, have never ridden a VFR800 though.

If you can afford a 2014 VFR, I would look at a one or 2 year old Hayabusa or ZX-14 too. The Busa is so smooth and effortless to ride, even with higher insurance, its lower initial price pays off. VFR800 is so slowwww.

FYI...

With the current rebates, the 2 bikes are within $500 of each other.
Insurance on the Ninja is about $250 higher per year.
I prefer the sound of the Honda V4 engine over that of the inline 4 but that is subjective.

I think the 2 bikes are made for different people. The older gentleman who rides less aggressively will go for the VFR. The more aggressive edgy rider will want the look and extra power of the Ninja.

FWIW the VFR's riding position is quite a bit more forward. It's not night and day but the difference can be significant depending on your height.

If for what ever reason the VFR800 doesn't have the power delivery to tour or twist, isn't there a 1200 version available?

I'm a team green supporter but, I would go to the zx1400. So my opinion counts for zilch!

What about the Z1000, isn't it just a Ninja 1000 without fairings? Insurance should be much cheaper.

there is, and they didn't sell well, so you can pick them up at a good price. A bit heavy, but the extra power is nice and you can't really go wrong with a V4 on either the 800 or 1200. Its not a "sport" bike by any stretch, but for around town riding the 1200 does about everything you want, just wished they used a few lighter parts.

If for what ever reason the VFR800 doesn't have the power delivery to tour or twist, isn't there a 1200 version available?

I'm a team green supporter but, I would go to the zx1400. So my opinion counts for zilch!

no replacement for displacement?

I've ridden both bikes and I much prefer the Ninja. The VFR feels pretty slow and the Vtech is annoying...the Ninja is a beast.

The only thing I like better about the Honda is the looks.

VTEC is a Honda thing, there's no such thing on a Kawasaki. From what I understand, for 2014, it has been even further smoothed out, that the transition is barely noticeable any more. How true that is, I don't know. For sporty touring, VFR800 is one of the best bikes out there. It is super comfortable, great range. The centre stand with single sided swing arm, allows me to change the tire in 10 minutes, also helps in my tight garage and I don't have to screw around with stands.

Kawasaki offers more power, better performance but with more upright sitting position, VFR ergos are a bit closer to super sport feel. Sit on both to see what suits you better. The name shouldn't matter for insurance. I believe most of them will still classify Ninja 1000 as sport touring. What matters though is the displacement, so it will be one category up from VFR.

I don't think anyone would ever take VFR1200 over VFR800 for twisties. Too heavy and wheelbase is too long. For touring - much less range. I personally consider VFR1200 a major flop. Not the kind of upgrade VFR800 aficionados have been asking for. The 2014 VFR800 is a step in the right direction but needs to shed even more weight and go back to gear driven cams.

I had a look at the Ninja & I really loved it. I love the styling & quality. Sorry but the vfr looks a bit too ugly for me

The vfr is overpriced for what it is.
There are other factors to consider other than price and horsepower when purchasing a motorcycle.Build quality,refinement and resale value immediately come to mind.Really how much horsepower can you really use on public highways in this day and age.I had a 99 and 2001 VCR800 and the fit and finnish on it was definitely superior to any of the Japanese manufacturers at that time.When I went to sell them my phone rang off the hook and both we're bought by the first guy that came to look at them. It's kind of like the guy that buys a Vette over the Porsche because it's cheaper and has more horsepower.I'd take a Porsche (or maybe an Acura NSX would be a better example) Any day of the week over a Vette.

I don't think anyone would ever take VFR1200 over VFR800 for twisties.

I remember a certain forum member blasting the Dragon (knee down all over the place) and Cherohala on his VFR1200. Put on an exhaust, fuel controller, bypass the throttle limiter (in first and second gear) and you've got a beast that pulls incredibly hard.

The VFR1200 is super comfy as it is. Could ride it all day long without issue.

Too bad the valve check is supposed to be crazy expensive due to lots of billable labour and VTEC parts.

Back
Top Bottom