Suzuki gs500 revs not matching speed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki gs500 revs not matching speed

K4D4

I got on my bike today and it's all messed up... When I pull on throttle the revs are flying up but the speed isn't going up... What happened to be bike?? It's almost like the bike is holding in the clutch (even tho I'm not) and just the rpm are going up not the speed

clutch is slipping, check adjustment (or replace, you could have burned it up from all the wheelies). Did you change the oil recently? Some oils don't play nicely with wet clutches.

Make sure your clutch cable is not adjusted too tight. There should be some "slop" (free play in the cable) when you are not pulling the clutch lever in. If there is not, the cable will be trying to pull a bit all the time, partly disengaging the clutch.

There is a possibility that your clutch plates are smoked ... possibly from riding around with ^that problem for too long, possibly from mis-use (too much slipping the clutch on takeoff or while riding), possibly from using inappropriate engine oil or additives. Only fix then is to replace them. It is not hard to replace clutch plates on that bike, if you have common sense when using tools, it is an easy do-it-yourself job.

Training wheel hung up on sidewalk?

IV been using the cheap gas and ok thanks for the answers Im going to bring it in to a shop because I have yet to learn to work on my bike and can def use some tlc..previous owner didn't take care of it

IV been using the cheap gas and ok thanks for the answers Im going to bring it in to a shop because I have yet to learn to work on my bike and can def use some tlc..previous owner didn't take care of it

He was just joking about the gas, don't waste your money.

Before you spend the money on a shop... 99% of the time it's the clutch cable. Check that it's adjusted properly, the procedure is described in the owner's manual if you have it. You probably don't even need tools to do it.

Before you spend the money on a shop... 99% of the time it's the clutch cable. Check that it's adjusted properly, the procedure is described in the owner's manual if you have it. You probably don't even need tools to do it.

Don't have owners Manuel but I will check on YouTube what to look for thanks bro

There is no need to look up this procedure.

With the bike sitting there turned off, push the clutch lever out from the handlebar as far as it will go. Don't use great force, a pinkie finger will do.

Using same pinkie finger, lightly pull the clutch lever towards the handlebar. Use no great force. Perhaps use about the force it takes to push down a key on your computer keyboard. You are not trying to pull it in ... only trying to see if the clutch lever is capable of wiggling in and out a little bit.

If you feel a little bit of looseness, perhaps 5 - 10 mm of sloppy movement at the outer end of the clutch lever before it starts actually pulling on the cable, it's good.

If it is tight as a drum with no looseness and the cable starts pulling the moment the clutch lever moves, it's too tight.

Adjusting it is almost as easy. Find where the cable attaches to the lever. It's clearly visible. Note that where the cable is attached, there is a threaded adjuster. Adjust it. (You may have to loosen a small knurled locking nut first.) No tools needed unless someone has reefed on the locknut - in which case, any set of pliers can be used to get it loose.

Back
Top Bottom