Would this work on motorcycle tires? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would this work on motorcycle tires?

https://patchnride.com

Seems like it's be great for those of us with spoke rims....

If it works reliably, as long as you can penetrate the tire into the tube it shouldn't make any difference.
Keep in mind that some cuts are very small, and if you need to make a big *** hole in your tire to patch a small cut I'm not sure if it's worth it.

This has been discussed to death on bicycle forums. It really only works on small punctures, not cuts, and only on bikes, but even bike users complain of the wheel out of balance.
I would not trust it other than hobbling home. It also assumes you can find the puncture hole.
I ride my bike a lot, but have had three punctures in 6 years, all fixed at the side of the road with patches, but just to get home, then a new tube goes in. I don't worry about my carbon footprint BECAUSE BICYCLE.

This has been discussed to death on bicycle forums. It really only works on small punctures, not cuts, and only on bikes, but even bike users complain of the wheel out of balance.
I would not trust it other than hobbling home. It also assumes you can find the puncture hole.
I ride my bike a lot, but have had three punctures in 6 years, all fixed at the side of the road with patches, but just to get home, then a new tube goes in. I don't worry about my carbon footprint BECAUSE BICYCLE.

Thanks.

I'm more interesting about the getting home part than this being a substitute for replacing the tube.

Assuming you are asking about motorcycle tires as mentioned in your title...I wouldn't even think about it. The forces and temperatures are so much different than bicycles. Just my $.02 ;)

Not familiar with this product but I have seen those $20 patch kits from Crappy Tire work just this past weekend. Guy in our group got a nail in his rear tire (fairly new 899 Panigale) and he was able to patch it up and ride back home from hwy 89/400 back downtown TO without a problem.

Not familiar with this product but I have seen those $20 patch kits from Crappy Tire work just this past weekend. Guy in our group got a nail in his rear tire (fairly new 899 Panigale) and he was able to patch it up and ride back home from hwy 89/400 back downtown TO without a problem.

I've used those kits, the patch will last the life of the tread, as long as the wall is not punctured.

Aren't sport bike tires tubeless? I would question the ability to hold up to the vibrations, degradation, and torque from motorcycles and road use.

That's not how you fix a puncture. A proper patch from the inside and plug through the hole or a plug and patch combo is the only proper way. The area of injury must be drilled, the inside cleaned and buffed. There are many steps. You never fix a tire without taking it off the wheel to begin with. There could be unseen damage or stress marks on the sidewall that can only be seen from the inside.

I use a standard patching kit on my car. I don't take the tire off and I've never had a problem. If you don't have an inner tube you can use the same tire kit as cars do on a motorcycle, but I would be leery about it without taking the tire off, especially with the front tire. I don't know much about the patch&ride kit, but if it can get you home I'd say it's a good deal. Remember to carry a tire pump with you though.

Last edited:
That's not how you fix a puncture. A proper patch from the inside and plug through the hole or a plug and patch combo is the only proper way. The area of injury must be drilled, the inside cleaned and buffed. There are many steps. You never fix a tire without taking it off the wheel to begin with. There could be unseen damage or stress marks on the sidewall that can only be seen from the inside.
Why do you need to drill & plug? Why not just patch from inside?

That's just what you need to do to get a proper seal.
I just patch mines. It leaks for a day but seals itself. Just like any other patch

SPOKED RIMS HAVE INNER TUBES!!

Those quick fix plugs don't work. This product might let you limp home. Motorcycle tires actually run at lower pressures than a lot of bike tires, so really the only concern might be balance.

Back
Top Bottom