MS surface vs. tablets | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MS surface vs. tablets

Would that be the case for everyone? Nope. Some people need advanced features of Photoshop and the GIMP just won't do. Others need some obscure software packages, such as Geosoft Oasis Montaj and ArcGIS, that aren't written for Linux desktops (or weren't last time I had to use them). Others may need highly specialized office suite plugins that aren't written for Libre Office. Others may be heavily into gaming on their PC (my wife and I do console instead) and Steam's Linux offerings just won't do. There are a few people who NEED m$ products and I understand them.

what has Jian Ghomeshi got to do with computers?

And since BSD and linux are different things, OSX has nothing to do with linux :)

Not completely true me thinks ... BSD and Linux OS are both based on Unix ( I am sure nerds will correct me with plethora of semantics involved ... LOL). Simply speaking, if there was no Unix, neither one would exist in its current form.

Not completely true me thinks ... BSD and Linux OS are both based on Unix ( I am sure nerds will correct me with plethora of semantics involved ... LOL). Simply speaking, if there was no Unix, neither one would exist in its current form.

Correct Strictly speaking BSD is unix. But of course neither would be around without the first operating systems. To be honest the terms linux and unix are pretty interchangeable unless you are getting into some seriously technical speak!

System_3_punch_card.jpg

That's what I kind of thought, without really knowing the inner details of either one.

bump...

I could really use a tablet with real windows. I want to run google earth with a bunch of overlays and the garmin software to upload/download/create tracks for my handheld. Other than that it would be good for surfing the web while on the go. $200 is my budget MAX, otherwise I can live without one.

I recently saw a Dell Venue 8 and it seemed pretty cool. Any idea how it would do with the above software?
What about the $99 Hp stream 7? Too little ram I guess.

Any other options?

Why renewed every 2 years? Most corporate machines are so locked down you can't load them with bloatware. I could probably still be using the same machine I got when I started here 7 years ago. Not like the system requirements for Autocad, Outlook, and Word go up much. That said, we do get new machines every 2-3 years and then get to buy the old one for $30. I've now got a few friends that scored cheap laptops that work fine.

Can you hook up a non friend? $30 to set the kid up with a laptop sounds awesome.

Just bought the surface pro 3. I got the i5 128gb version. I was wondering if I should trade it in for the 256gb version? Also should I get screen protection? The guy at the store he says they get a lot of returns because of the screen.

Can you hook up a non friend? $30 to set the kid up with a laptop sounds awesome.

What does your kid want to do with the laptop? I have a pretty old laptop that I set up with linux that worked pretty well in my com tech days.

What does your kid want to do with the laptop? I have a pretty old laptop that I set up with linux that worked pretty well in my com tech days.

Disclaimer: I am as knowledgeable with computers as I am with motorcycle maintenance.
He's 11. Needs it to access Google drive for schoolwork and he needs to download Minecraft that was given to him for his birthday.
He eventually wants to do some YouTube videos of video games and would need to upload from it.
We have another laptop (mine) but it runs Vista which is hit and miss, but works for me. But we seem to be fighting for time on it now.

bump...

I could really use a tablet with real windows. I want to run google earth with a bunch of overlays and the garmin software to upload/download/create tracks for my handheld. Other than that it would be good for surfing the web while on the go. $200 is my budget MAX, otherwise I can live without one.

I recently saw a Dell Venue 8 and it seemed pretty cool. Any idea how it would do with the above software?
What about the $99 Hp stream 7? Too little ram I guess.

Any other options?

I tried a Dell Venue 7 for a few hours. Worst POS I have ever had the displeasure of touching. Literally to turn it on, set it up, then reset to factory settings to return it took me over 6 hours. Clicks showed up in the wrong spot, necessary locations in windows 8 were unreachable (ie not formatted properly for screen so close button is off the screen), settings continually reset (it get reading text out loud, I would disable it and 5 minutes later, it would be on again). I paid ~$100 and after the experience I had with it, if someone offered to pay me $10,000 to use it as my primary device for a month, I would turn down the offer. No idea how related the venue 7 and 8 are.

Disclaimer: I am as knowledgeable with computers as I am with motorcycle maintenance.
He's 11. Needs it to access Google drive for schoolwork and he needs to download Minecraft that was given to him for his birthday.
He eventually wants to do some YouTube videos of video games and would need to upload from it.
We have another laptop (mine) but it runs Vista which is hit and miss, but works for me. But we seem to be fighting for time on it now.

Google Chromebook?

Bought one for my dad. Uses it for social media, etc.
But it originally started with the $30 used laptops. That's more my budget, for an additional machine. Otherwise, I will just keep sharing mine with him.

If I had a spare one I would but the last one I got I just shipped to my broke sister in Vancouver. The guy I gave the one before that to dumped half a beer into it the night I gave it to him so he's probably in line for the next one. Although it still works but doesn't charge, DVD doesn't work, had to take one RAM stick out to get it to boot, and the hard drive is failed now. I can boot a live Linux distro, though! lol

Generally I try to give them out to broke/jobless people "in need". Other than the one I gave my parents recently I've helped out 5 other people since I started here. Usually I suck up the $30 fee unless the person is prone to destroying them and I have to give them more than one.

Only thing I have right now is an old Athlon64 tower my neighbor threw out. 512 mb RAM. Just needed the southbridge heatsink repaired (one of the little clips pulled out of the board, I just used a tiny piece of wire to make a new one) to make it "like new" again. Probably can't run Minecraft (I don't know the system requirements). Found it sitting by our trash bins in the rain. If anyone knows someone "in need" that just needs something capable of surfing, email, low quality YouTube, word processing, etc, let me know and you can have it. Runs a full legit version of XP.

Well I am not broke, nor in need. I have a house and car and a bike. Just sometimes it does get a little tight making ends meet.
I think it's awesome that you help people out like that. Thank you anyway for replying. But if you ever do end up with an extra one, I will give you the $30, plus make a $20 donation in your name to the charity of your choice.

Thread hijack: Got some weird warning on Google chrome last night when my kid went to access google drive. One of those "coputer is virus. Click to repair" (exact spelling). Froze the pc.
Linked to techiebros.com. Anyone seen this or have some advice to get rid of it?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I was at the new Microsoft store at the Eaton Centre.

I spent some pretty interesting 5 minutes in there...

Joe I looked at that laptop and it's way too old. It's been a few years since I stopped using it.

Joe I looked at that laptop and it's way too old. It's been a few years since I stopped using it.

Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

Thread hijack: Got some weird warning on Google chrome last night when my kid went to access google drive. One of those "coputer is virus. Click to repair" (exact spelling). Froze the pc.
Linked to techiebros.com. Anyone seen this or have some advice to get rid of it?

housecall.antivirus.com and malwarebytes.org are good tools to use. I see a lot of people that have malicious adware on their systems, particularly if they downloaded some crap from c-net

Thanks CruisnGrrl, will check those out this weekend

Back
Top Bottom