MS surface vs. tablets | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MS surface vs. tablets

What do you guys recommend? I need something and I can't stand laptops anymore. They die out in 2 years or slow down so much that it's unusable.

I need for heavy business use. I use quickbooks, dropbox, e-mail and MS office primarily.

Any advice is appreciated!

Really? T40 with winxp. I love mine.

You're not paying more for a clean laptop. You're paying less for a laptop with bloatware. That's the entire point of bloatware.

I suppose if your time is worth $10/hr you don't mind reinstalling Windows on a brand new computer. Some folks have more important **** to do.

Correct.. Bloatware is like junk mail. Whoever packages it gets money from the companies that pay them to dump it into your operating system. Every day I wake up and thank God I don't need a computer running m$-anything :cool:

Correct.. Bloatware is like junk mail. Whoever packages it gets money from the companies that pay them to dump it into your operating system. Every day I wake up and thank God I don't need a computer running m$-anything :cool:
What does the bloatware have to do with MS when it's not MS putting it there?

What does the bloatware have to do with MS when it's not MS putting it there?

MS stepped in and offered an alternative themselves because bloat ware is crippling the Windows experience.

MS stepped in and offered an alternative themselves because bloat ware is crippling the Windows experience.
So isn't that a positive rather than a reason to hate their products?

So isn't that a positive rather than a reason to hate their products?

Bloatware free is a good thing. But the perception is, it will cost you more for the Laptop without the bloatware, than with the bloatware. It's perception and people being cheap.

Yes its a positive. Thats why I recommended it in the first place.

Keep up ;)
I was more aiming at Firestart since he said he's glad he doesn't need to use any MS products after we were discussing the benefits of buying a clean machine from them.

With all due respect, I wouldn't be able to operate if I didn't have windows in my home computers. For mobile a different platform might be okay, but to operate at efficiency and speed I need windows.

With all due respect, I wouldn't be able to operate if I didn't have windows in my home computers. For mobile a different platform might be okay, but to operate at efficiency and speed I need windows.

Hence my statement that I (personally and individually) do not have a need to run m$-anything for my (and no one else's) work/day-to-day activities. There was a time when I did because of ASAP Utilities and Bonavista Microcharts as they weren't written for office suites other than m$ office. Nowadays, my spreadsheet needs are simpler and a Linux box is great for my needs, such as browsing, e-mail, chatting, multimedia playback, light image editing, word processing, light spreadsheet work, running virtual machines to VPN into work and light video editing.

Would that be the case for everyone? Nope. Some people need advanced features of Photoshop and the GIMP just won't do. Others need some obscure software packages, such as Geosoft Oasis Montaj and ArcGIS, that aren't written for Linux desktops (or weren't last time I had to use them). Others may need highly specialized office suite plugins that aren't written for Libre Office. Others may be heavily into gaming on their PC (my wife and I do console instead) and Steam's Linux offerings just won't do. There are a few people who NEED m$ products and I understand them.

I was fortunate to have bought a high-end laptop that only came with Windows Vista and no "downgrade" to XP option back in 08. The instability was terrible, so I decided to try dual-booting Linux. It met my needs at the time, and I never looked back. If I wanted to run Windows, I could. I blow more on ammo in a typical week than I would on a clean 7 license. Here are some reasons why I don't:
1) It would feel sluggish
2) It would slow down my workflow
3) I'd need to worry about malware all the time
4) I'd lose the comfort of knowing that my operating system is built with performance and security in mind and the code is constantly reviewed by a large community of both private and corporate contributors. If any bad code goes into my operating system, somebody WILL raise a stink over it. I could review it myself if I were that much of a nerd. Try to get your hands on the windows or osx source code lol
5) I'd go through all that hassle over something that wouldn't just fail to make my computing experience better - it's guaranteed to make it worse

To each his own. I found what works for me :cool:

You're not paying more for a clean laptop. You're paying less for a laptop with bloatware. That's the entire point of bloatware.

I suppose if your time is worth $10/hr you don't mind reinstalling Windows on a brand new computer. Some folks have more important **** to do.

I wouldn't touch MS based machine, unless I work for someone who makes me do so (and renews laptops every 2 years whether I want it or not) .... I understand what you are saying, it just screams weird that's all. I guess indeed it is a choice for certain folks.

I wouldn't touch MS based machine, unless I work for someone who makes me do so (and renews laptops every 2 years whether I want it or not) .... I understand what you are saying, it just screams weird that's all. I guess indeed it is a choice for certain folks.
Why renewed every 2 years? Most corporate machines are so locked down you can't load them with bloatware. I could probably still be using the same machine I got when I started here 7 years ago. Not like the system requirements for Autocad, Outlook, and Word go up much. That said, we do get new machines every 2-3 years and then get to buy the old one for $30. I've now got a few friends that scored cheap laptops that work fine.

So you use Linux or OSX?

(... and OsX IS Linux. It uses a BSD kernel)

3b3d5668-4982-440a-9306-70c1342dd45a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom