MS surface vs. tablets | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MS surface vs. tablets

Yeah, I'm about to completely wipe out my HP laptop and install an untainted version of windows.... hopefully that helps. What's a signature series laptop? I get great discounts from HP so I'm more inclined to buy hardware from there and install windows on my own.

This is 100% software based. Laptops come with too much bloatware. Backup your data, format and do a clean Windows install; right back to 100% performance.

And next time consider buying a Signature series laptop from Microsoft- they come with totally clean installs of Windows. It's the only way to go if you're not buying Apple, IMO.

Signature Edition laptops are sold online by Microsoft...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/signature

Main selling feature is that they're 100% bloatware-free. They basically pick whatever they think are the best-selling (or best performing) laptops from different manufacturers and then set them up clean from scratch..

I love my tablet... as a toy. And a good book reader. Can't imagine trying to do work on it. Ugh.

I love my tablet... as a toy. And a good book reader. Can't imagine trying to do work on it. Ugh.

I move around a lot and need to be able to do things as I move. Need something that can run all the programs my laptop can. Everything to be connected via network.

I move around a lot and need to be able to do things as I move. Need something that can run all the programs my laptop can. Everything to be connected via network.

That's why I have a Thinkpad.

This is 100% software based. Laptops come with too much bloatware. Backup your data, format and do a clean Windows install; right back to 100% performance.

And next time consider buying a Signature series laptop from Microsoft- they come with totally clean installs of Windows. It's the only way to go if you're not buying Apple, IMO.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about

quitting-smoking-today-mfw-self-congratulation-meets-withdrawal-at-the-intersection-of-dammit-and-goddammit.gif

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about

I said basically the same thing in post #3 (ok not really but that was the point I was trying to ask about/make). Any computer I get the first thing I do is reformat and start with a fresh installation of Windows.

That's why I kept trying to ask what the benefit of Surface over a laptop is since they are basically the same thing (if they're both running Win8 ) except one is smaller.

Last edited:
I said basically the same thing in post #3 (ok not really but that was the point I was trying to ask about/make). Any computer I get the first thing I do is reformat and start with a fresh installation of Windows.

That's why I kept trying to ask what the benefit of Surface over a laptop is since they are basically the same thing (if they're both running Win8 ) except one is smaller.

I didn't say you weren't making the same point but he made it more eloquently :D Laptops slowing down after a while are usually a case of PEBKAC :cool:

I didn't say you weren't making the same point but he made it more eloquently :D Laptops slowing down after a while are usually a case of PEBKAC :cool:
What's PEBKAC stand for?

What's PEBKAC stand for?

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair - in plain English: User error or user-caused issue (like tacking on a lot of bloat or catching a lot of malware) :cool:

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair - in plain English: User error or user-caused issue (like tacking on a lot of bloat or catching a lot of malware) :cool:

This..my sister in law goes through a laptop a year. Last year she said i'm sick of having to replace my laptop every year. Everytime the same thing happens she gets a bad malware/bloatware issue it slows down or it dies. The slowness well thats cause you are bad at using the computer and not matter how much i try and explain good browsing habits it never works. Now her current laptop is 6 months old an the on board wireless died. Not because she bought a lower end PC its because she keeps it always powered up...on the couch...not on a flat surface so it can cool. I told her if you keep it on a flat surface and turn it off when you arn't using it you will probably get 2-4 years out of the hardware. Go back last week...same thing.

Truth is people often don't know how to look after their hardware and software. Laptops are probably more susceptible to hardware slowdowns because of cooling difficulties.

The best decisions I've ever made for computer-illiterate relatives and friends was to tell them all to buy Macs, and print them directions to an Apple Store in case they ever need warranty work.

Say goodbye to support calls.

The best decisions I've ever made for computer-illiterate relatives and friends was to tell them all to buy Macs, and print them directions to an Apple Store in case they ever need warranty work.

Say goodbye to support calls.

I've done the same thing. My life is so much better now.

Then they all ask me how to do things in iOS or on their Mac. Seeing as I've never owned one I can't help much. Although I do usually solve their problems just by Googling. It's amazing so many people think IT people know everything about anything when 99% of the time I just Google their problem just like they could.

Then they all ask me how to do things in iOS or on their Mac. Seeing as I've never owned one I can't help much. Although I do usually solve their problems just by Googling. It's amazing so many people think IT people know everything about anything when 99% of the time I just Google their problem just like they could.

I take the computer home and do this so they think im some kind of wizard

Signature Edition laptops are sold online by Microsoft...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/signature

Main selling feature is that they're 100% bloatware-free. They basically pick whatever they think are the best-selling (or best performing) laptops from different manufacturers and then set them up clean from scratch..

Amazing ... pay MS extra for a laptop without bloatware. Seriously, I had no clue ... now I have seen it all.

Amazing ... pay MS extra for a laptop without bloatware. Seriously, I had no clue ... now I have seen it all.

:withstupid:

Almost unbelievable. I say almost because clearly there is a market for them.

You're not paying more for a clean laptop. You're paying less for a laptop with bloatware. That's the entire point of bloatware.

I suppose if your time is worth $10/hr you don't mind reinstalling Windows on a brand new computer. Some folks have more important **** to do.

Back
Top Bottom