Break-in oil change | GTAMotorcycle.com

Break-in oil change

Matty8

The oil was changed at just under 100 km on my ninja 250. I'm now at 3000 km, and wondering if its necessary to do it again or can I hold out until the very end of the season right before I winterize it (probably by 4000 km)?

I feel like the large majority of metal shavings from the break-in would have been flushed out after the first change, but its my first bike and I'm not certain. Any advice is appreciated.

3000km? What's the oil change interval on your bike? Seems like your oil should still be good

wait till ur last ride this year as some one already said above...I chaged my oil last year and have not put 4k kms this year.Will change in about 3 weeks time and that'll be end of 2014 season!

Why change at 100km?
First one should be 1000km.

Just change before storage

Why change at 100km?
First one should be 1000km.

Just change before storage

Because it was a 2012 that had only been ridden for 100km over 2 years. Also it was changed during a service right before i bought it.

I brought up the question because I've read some people change it frequently over the first few thousand KM's due to metal shavings building up during break-in periods. Seems very wasteful but figured i'd ask anyway. Besides, isn't that what the filter is for?

Seems very wasteful but figured i'd ask anyway. Besides, isn't that what the filter is for?

Primary concern is when the filter becomes clogged the by-pass valves open up let all the contaminants into the engine

Just follow your manual and you are safe. 3000 kms is safe enough to change your oil and filter before storing it.

Break-in? What break-in? Modern engines are built to meet exact specifications that allow...

Oh, it's a Kawasaki! Then change the oil again asap

Just change it before you store it. It'll be fresh and ready to go in spring.

I brought up the question because I've read some people change it frequently over the first few thousand KM's due to metal shavings building up during break-in periods.

This is an outdated myth. Even the manual numbers are very conservative.

With new engine I heard that before they leave the plant, manufactures would do the break in stuff so no need to do any break in period, its a simple marketing scheme. But with newly build motors that is a different story.

I bought a new Yamaha and when I changed the oil and filter at 100km it came out like silver paint. When I changed it again at 750km it was less silvery but still visible. When I changed it again at 3000km the engine oil looked clean and clear. I don't care what anyone says to me about this topic. I've seen the metal in the oil with my own eyes and I'll be doing the same break in on my next bike. BTW I got that Yamaha to 25000km with zero issues before I sold it. For what its worth I used regular oil till the 3000km mark - then synthetics.

I see no reason at all to have metal shavings floating around contaminating bearings and rod ends etc etc. Oil is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom