I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations?

Don't let the service intervals scare you. Valve adjustments have proven to be easy and not nearly as frequent as suggested. Many people have checked their valve clearances at 150 hours and found that they have not moved a single millimeter. As for the oil changes, most guys change the engine side twice as frequently as the gearbox. The engine side holds 600ml (yes, just over half of a litre), oil filters are commonly changed every other oil change and they're only $7.00. The entire oil change takes literally ten minutes. If you're that concerned, get an HT Racing oil cooler and it adds 80% more oil capacity while cooling your oil very well - this is a well proven solution for many guys who have "adventurized" their small KTMs.

My next bike will likely be a 350 EXC-F mainly for use at places like Ganny and some dirt road exploration. Also will terrorise the streets from time-to-time. I've also wondered about the strict service intervals. I believe KTM's documentation is all based on the bikes being used for racing. Constantly being redlined and subjected to low speed, high load, high temperature enduro racing. For normal leisure riding, no way you would need to replace the piston and valve train every 135 hours.

I've got two friends with KTM 530s with 165 and 240 hours all on original engine internals - no smoke and/or oil loss of any sort and they're dual sport bikes that get their share of hard use.

Theres an 08 450 EXC in dirt trim on kijiji in a 613 area code for $3500. I dont know if that bike works for you, but thought Id make sure you saw it.

I dont don't know this bike that's for sale but (and this goes for all 2008 450s and 530s) be aware that there are some updates that are required for 2008 bikes - keep this in mind when shopping for a 450/530:

2010 updated oil pump housing
2010 updated oil pump gears
2010 updated oil pump shaft
2010 updated camshaft rockers
2009 updated main right side crankshaft oil jet
2009 updated decompression camshaft
2009 updated piston rings
2010 updated crankshaft end seal

Some of these are more critical than others. I say that because if a particular bike does not appear to display certain symptoms, some of these updates can be overlooked. Don't be too scared either - most of the parts mentioned above are not even remotely expensive...

Theres an 08 450 EXC in dirt trim on kijiji in a 613 area code for $3500. I dont know if that bike works for you, but thought Id make sure you saw it.

Not the bike you're looking for there's a 2011 KTM 990 SMR for sale in Edmonton. Rare bike!

So yummy and so rare...

Not the bike you're looking for there's a 2011 KTM 990 SMR for sale in Edmonton. Rare bike!

Now that is a smokin bike! Those 350's are a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But IF it does show up, it wont be most likely till end of summer/fall as a 2016 model (or so says the husky dealers I've talked to)

On a side note, are you also on SMJ with the same name?

That article I quoted mentions finding out this summer and it will be available this fall.

This article:http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-husqvarna-701-supermoto and this http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/11/0...st-look-photos-at-eicma-2014-motorcycle-show/ all say the same thing.. But I guess we'll find out !

And ya, same person as on SMJ.

Back
Top Bottom