I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations?

Looking online, it doesn't seem that the 690 SMC (R) was sold in Canada. WTF is up with that? Didn't see anything on KTM Canada's website either. Only Enduro's.

I believe it was sold for a year'ish in Canada? Can easily convert the Enduro to Supermoto.... but the rims/tires are not that cheap.

http://www.warp9racing.com/sm_wheels_KTM.html

On the plus side... You could easily go off-roading and swap to SM tires and rip up the streets :p

There's an SMC on Kijiji right now that I may have bought if I could have found one last spring. I found a few endures, and some even had SM wheel set ups.

Why does nobody suggest the Hypermotard?? But 848 Streetfighter??

Not sarcastic, seriously questioning why.... or, why not that is to say.

I brought up the hyper - seems that the OP wants more of a "true" motard - ie an EXC with SM set up. Hyper is, like my 2010 Duke 690, a street bike that LOOKS like a motard.

But the OP doesnt want the service intervals of the crazy bikes.

This is where the 690 SMC shines - its the best compromise Im aware of between a "true" motard and a practical street bike. DRZ400SMs and WR250Xs also fit the bill but OP wants a bigger engine.

I have a DRZ and a duke 690 ktm .. Lc4 engine .. DRZ hands down 100x more reliable .. KTM other than tons of mechanical issues is a better all around bike

There's an SMC on Kijiji right now that I may have bought if I could have found one last spring. I found a few endures, and some even had SM wheel set ups.
Saw that one a couple of days ago, not as clean as I'd like.

I have a DRZ and a duke 690 ktm .. Lc4 engine .. DRZ hands down 100x more reliable .. KTM other than tons of mechanical issues is a better all around bike

Ive only owned by 2010 Duke since the spring but mine has had zero issues for me, ~ 3500km.

From a supermoto site ->

26c406e43c02ba8f44016dbd4e2a9e9f.jpg

lol....

This was me too. My choice was down to.a.DRZ 400, KTM 690, and a.Husqvarna.TE 511. I chose the last one because I felt I was getting the most bike for my money with Husky. They are made by BMW, and now KTM. KTM's are.pricey. I réally.don't.get what all the fuss is about KTM, my RM will walk circles around their MX bikes. I kept my super sport though, I don't think I could live without it.

Last edited:
This was me too. My choice was down to.a.DRZ 400, KTM 690, and a.Husqvarna.TE 511. I chose the last one because I felt I was getting the most bike for my money with Husky. They are made by BMW, and now KTM. KTM's are.pricey. I réally.don't.get what all the fuss is about KTM, my RM will walk circles around their MX bikes. I kept my super sport though, I don't think I could live without it.
A Husky SMR 511 came up in my search. What's the dealer network like? How easy is it to get parts?

A Husky SMR 511 came up in my search. What's the dealer network like? How easy is it to get parts?

Yes, the SMR is the one you would want being in the city. The TE is an MX bike with mirrors and signals. It doesnt even come with an ignition key, just a steering column lock.

To be honest I haven't tested out the dealer network as of yet. The bike seems relatively trouble free. I had some head shake at over 60 km/h, threw some balance beads in the tires and that fixed that. Knobbies aren't balanced from the factory.

Go over to Cafe husky and read more about them. You get a lot of bike for the money!

Last edited:
Well, after some soul searching and compromises, I've narrowed it down to the KTM 500 EXC. I'll be keeping my 750 for everything else and the 500 will be for the short city blasts/hooligan runs.

If you come across one or know anyone selling, please PM me, thanks!

The 505 belongs to my friend and it's mint, mint, mint but not street legal even in the remote sense of the term. I do however have another friend who has recently listed his Husaberg 650 for sale on kijiji (just search for it - it's the only husaberg 650 currently for sale). That bike is an absolute beast - more power than a ktm 690 and weighs no more than my ktm 530. The early years of these bikes had questionable reliability but were redesigned for the later years and proved to be very reliable. As for the styling, you either like it or you don't - I don't mind the whole Swedish IKEA motorcycle theme on the early Husabergs :)

Saw that one a couple of days ago, nice bike but it's not street legal and a little older than I'd like.

Oh, and if you decide to go with something newer you really can't go wrong with a 500exc - they're fantastic machines...

So I checked out the 500exc SM thread on SMJunkie. NOW I WANT ONE TOO! But as a city commuter? Probably not the best choice given that you measure the service intervals in hours. Seems like a fun but bad idea!

Back
Top Bottom