Best on/off economy class motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best on/off economy class motorcycle?

Just stick some tkc80 tires on the VFR, heh.

I don't think any tires would help the 800lbs of me and VFR combined in an off-road situation. ;)
This guy looks like he does alright, lol.

http://www.redtigerracing.ca/dirt_street_bike.htm

dirt_catwalk.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but I still get very confused with bike classification. I know the klr, and I searched the drz400. Those are dual sport, right? Then someone mentioned the cb500x. I would think that is more of a sport touring, right? Reason is that the CB500x, or the NC750x look appealing to me. My cruiser is awesome, but for what I want (all weather, some gravel,etc) I was thinking these types of bikes. Also, being short (26" inseam), limits my choices.
Oh, and that drz400 is nice, too.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Depends on who you ask, but to me a dual sport should combine a large spoked front wheel (21 inch), low weight, good suspension travel and little plastic to break in a tipover.

'Adventure touring' bikes are kind of like most SUVs these days - they're styled somewhat like an offroad vehicle, but are mostly suited to gravel roads. My WeeStrom is a great bike, but don't believe Suzuki's lies about it being a dual sport :)

CB500x and NC750x should give a bit of an advantage over the pure street versions when adventure riding. Mild off road looking for hobo camp/fishing spots and the like. The NC 750, while not a light weight, has a lower than typical centre of gravity due to engine configuration.

Thanks. That makes sense. Looks like adventure tourer is in my future. Now to find a way to get that and still keep the Shadow...

There are so many KLRs around that you can often get a very good deal - ride it for a couple of years and get close to what you paid for it if kept in reasonable nick.

It will do light off road - not tricky single track if you keep the weight off it.
It's fine on the pavement at your indicated speeds tho closer to 100 is a bit more comfortable on 50/50 dual sports.

I run 606s on mine in Australia and it is very noisy.

There are tons of farkles about as well. If you get pre - 2008 make sure the "doohickey" is done.
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Doohickey-KLR650-All-Years.aspx

They are truly bulletproof...mine is abused severely - even left on it's side for weeks ( the girls could not pick it up and finally riding buddy went over and helped. )

Chugged and snorted a bit but started fine and ran the entire 3 months without a hiccup.

Reliable is what I need in Aus. and the KLR delivers.

For what you are doing it would be fine and you could even do a PA run as well with it where you would get some good off pavement about 5 hours away.

All you want right there in the new model

$_20.JPG

he might take $4k

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...or/1019610930?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Not to hijack the thread, but I still get very confused with bike classification. I know the klr, and I searched the drz400. Those are dual sport, right? Then someone mentioned the cb500x. I would think that is more of a sport touring, right? Reason is that the CB500x, or the NC750x look appealing to me. My cruiser is awesome, but for what I want (all weather, some gravel,etc) I was thinking these types of bikes. Also, being short (26" inseam), limits my choices.
Oh, and that drz400 is nice, too.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

The CB500X is not a dual sport, it is an "adventure styled" motorcycle. It does have the capabilities of doing some offroad when properly equipped but will not be as good as a real dual sport. Fuel economy it's pretty damn good. It'll be very hard for you to find a bike better than this for what it costs. Dual Sport/Adventure bikes do not typically have a low seat height and this one does, take it for a ride next year and you'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom