Best on/off economy class motorcycle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best on/off economy class motorcycle?

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Read "cheap."

I was thinking about getting into dirt biking, however, don't have a trailer or a truck.
Nevertheless, there are lots of neat gravel roads that I pass by on my VFR800, some of them I even venture on. VFR, however, is not the best gravel machine, at least not with street tires.
So I started looking at lower end on/off bikes, something that I could ride comfortably on pavement but not hesitate taking a gravel road, maybe even an occasional trail. Something that I could also take on a 2-3 day trip, that could cruise 100-120km on a highway without too much of a trouble, while carrying my 215lbs frame but still nimble enough, not to get stuck if I choose to take a short cut through a forest.
I can't afford KTMs and BMWs, was searching at under $3,000.
So far I found 2 motorycles that somewhat do the trick:

1. Kawasaki KLR650 (heavier, better for streets and tall people with larger fuel tank and more wind protection)
2. Suzuki DR650 (lighter, stronger frame, slightly more power, better for offroad and shorter people).

Anything else you guys can think off? Any pros and cons with the ones listed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Either one will do the trick, the klr is a great bike, a fun bike on the street with huge fuel range. The suzuki will shine a little brighter on the trail, but gives it up to the klr on the road. I had a 98 klr, rode it on many long trips, took it off-road through all the same places I rode my ktm 200 2t, you can't kill a klr.
I'm actually considering another klr for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been through the same situation. What I can say is that for the requirements you have listed, you're certainly looking at the right bikes. However, if you really want to learn off-road riding, and will do lots of double tracks, even single tracks, anything more than gravel or packed dirt roads, I suggest you perhaps let go of the notion of going long distance in the very beginning, and learn to ride off-road comfortably on a light dual-sport such as a yamaha wr250r, a honda crf250l, or the suzuki drz-400.

For me, I started off with a 2014 KLR650 new edition with the new (stiffer) suspension for my 200lb frame, having wanted to do the same things you've listed. I found out that riding to the trail (mostly Ganaraska Forest) was a blast, comfortable, and the bike handles just fine in the curves. But I had a hard time learning while in the trail as the bike was heavy for a dirt noob, and I was quickly exhausted while riding it.

In search of something lighter, I then got a wr250r, and my off-road skills and confidence grew at a much more rapid pace. And the interesting thing was that when I hopped back on the KLR, I found that I was much much more comfortable and confident on it now.

The smaller bikes also hold their value quite well, so if you don't want to keep it after the "learning" season, you should be able to sell it for a good price. Just a thought.

I agree with locwan here. I picked up a DRZ400 because it was a good price, and I have been riding a lot of trails on it with various rides organized by the ODSC.

While I am not new to riding dirt, I am out of practice. Now I am quickly remembering old skills and the dirt riding has already increased my capability and confidence on the V-strom. I had the V-strom out on some deep sandy trails with Supernam the other day, and now I can do that on the V-strom without issue. In the spring the same kind of riding nearly had me crash a couple times -- was out with Iceman for that ride.

Anyway, if you are going to limit yourself to one bike, you need to narrow down exactly how much offroading you plan to do. Experienced riders can take a DR650 or KLR650 the same places the lighter bikes go, but typically with a lot more effort. So my suggestion: get two bikes for the dirt (so in your case, three bikes). One light one for short distance trail riding and join the OFTR and ODSC, and one for longer distance gravel bombing like a KLR or V-strom. For me, I am still under $1k/year insuring both bikes, and I love having the option of which one I want to take out.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the input guys. I don't see myself doing any hardcore single track trails at this moment and can't afford 3 bikes so I'll probably get the KLR and maybe rent a bike for Ganaraska for one time experience. I think it was around $260?
Once I get a bigger place, I'll probably get a trailer and a true off roading bike. Can't fit a trailer in my townhouse.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I don't see myself doing any hardcore single track trails at this moment and can't afford 3 bikes so I'll probably get the KLR and maybe rent a bike for Ganaraska for one time experience. I think it was around $260?
Once I get a bigger place, I'll probably get a trailer and a true off roading bike. Can't fit a trailer in my townhouse.
You are right about the price for Trail Tours. Great experience you'll love it! (at least i know i did)

And excuse my ignorance but do you guys prefer your street gear for gravel roads or more like offroading?

No right answer here. I ride in street gear on trips where it mostly involves paved roads with light gravel sections. Mostly because I'm usually with other street bikers during those rides and will probably be heading to a spot for a leisurely lunch and want to be comfortable.

If the riding will involve any trails at all, or even exploring where I don't know what I'll be going into, I will always have my full gear on including dirt boots and knee/shin guards etc.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I don't see myself doing any hardcore single track trails at this moment and can't afford 3 bikes so I'll probably get the KLR.

I hope you're tall enough to ride that KLR as a top heavy bike for a short rider will be tough off road, I would go with the DR650 if you think you are going to do any actual dirt biking otherwise you'll just be riding the KLR through occasional dirt trails/mud/sand like me. The KLR will be one the one to use for 2-3 day trips. Also consider the fact that you will need to get accessories/tires for a better ride offroad. There really isn't one do it all bike as I have looked for pretty much the same thing you are. I ended up deciding on the CB500X, my bike is stock and I had a tough time keeping up with Diesel that day. I do not have much offroad experience and will get protection and tires before I go again.

The problem is that everything good is so far away ... That's why I was leaning more towards KLR.
Because in reality, I'll probably do less than 50% off pavement.

Seat height, I should be okay with. I'm 6ft, average torso/legs ratio.
I'm gonna go to a dealer soon, sit on one.

imo
DR650
you can add stuff to make it as good as the klr for longer trips: top box, side racks for panniers, parabellum windshield
you cant take stuff off the klr to make it as good off pavement

air cooled simplicity, adjust valves in a half hour, no expensive parts to break if/when you drop it
throw a bit of money into it to set it up how you want. i am old, out of shape and slow, but i single track mine, can power wheely in second, and have done multi day trips with no problem.
and yes, i have owned both :)

KLR is top heavy,the best is these bikes are bullet proof,hard for me to vote for the other bike as i have a KLR.

Yes, I've seen that you can swap up out the fuel tank too on DR650, for a larger one, some already come with that mod.

I am not too worried about breaking all the plastic on KLR though as I won't be doing any hardcore trails on it. And even if it breaks, I won't cry. I may end up buying the 1st gen one anyhow, and it didn't have those massive fairings.

From what I 've read both are about equally reliable. 2008 KLRs had some issues but not expensive and probably all taken care off by now.

another thing you could do is head out when you see a dual sport ride being posted somewhere be it here, ODSC forum, facebook IBAR Ontario page etc. ask if you can test ride either of the bikes.
i usually go to tims leslie and lakeshore thursday nights, a grey dr650 thats never been washed parked on the grass. hand me your keys and ownership and you can take mine for a rip-it HAS been slightly modded tho

Versys?
DRZ400SM?

another thing you could do is head out when you see a dual sport ride being posted somewhere be it here, ODSC forum, facebook IBAR Ontario page etc. ask if you can test ride either of the bikes.
i usually go to tims leslie and lakeshore thursday nights, a grey dr650 thats never been washed parked on the grass. hand me your keys and ownership and you can take mine for a rip-it HAS been slightly modded tho

May just take you up on that. I don't feel comfortable asking strangers but if someone offers, different story.

The KLR is a great choice, the only reason I said the DR650 would be better for you is because you started this thread with "I was thinking about getting into dirt biking".

Really have to know what type of riding you will be doing, and what you think you will be doing. I made the mistake of buying a new vstrom and proceeding to try and single track it. In the past five years I have had dr650(4),drz400s,drz400sm,dl650(2),crf250l,wr250r,cbr500xa,sv650,fzr600,g650gs,klr650,xt350. yes, i have taken all of them off road, with varying degrees of success :)
come on down to tims and i will probably give you more info than you want

The thinking vs knowing is always a problem. ;) What I'm "thinking" is that I already got the VFR for long range touring on asphalt and twisties (a bit of a piggy for that but it'll do). So there's no need for something like a V-strom because it overlaps too much. The problem is that you generally still have to ride out an hour or 2 away from GTA to hit nicer roads. I want to be decent comfortable doing that. Aside from it I won't require the new bike to do any crazy amount of highway consistently. Dirt - until I have a truck or a trailer and a bigger garage, I will just rent one time and hit Ganaraska just to check it out.

So what I THINK I need is a bike that will do 50% pavement and 45% gravel with an occasional short cut through a trail. What will actually happen, I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom