Recommend some dual-sport riding pants? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend some dual-sport riding pants?

Motorcycle Mike

I've tried AGV, and Bilt, and neither really do it for me.

I'm looking for a solid pair of pants with protection, venting, and at least water resistant and easy to clean. They will be used on the street as well as on the DRZ in the mud, so knee and hip protection is a must.

I see most of the dual sport guys use Klim, but I see Klim ranges from $200 to over $1000 for a pair of pants.

Anyone here have the Klim Dakar pants? How are they?

If not Klim, what would you recommend?

The Klim Dakar are nice but are really vented in the crotch, which could be a little chilly. I really like the Joe Rocket Goose pants that I have. They can vent well, water/wind resistant zip-in insert. I got them on sale at GP bikes for 230ish.

The Klim Dakar are nice but are really vented in the crotch, which could be a little chilly. I really like the Joe Rocket Goose pants that I have. They can vent well, water/wind resistant zip-in insert. I got them on sale at GP bikes for 230ish.

I'll have to stop at GP Bikes and try on a pair.

I'm also considering just getting two pairs of pants... keep the ones I have for the street and get a set of motocross pants or similar for offroad. I slightly damaged my riding pants today... not sure how, maybe in that mud pit -- now I just have to convince the wife to do some sewing for me.

If you're considering two sets of pants, I've been happy using a $17 pair of carpenter pants from Walmart offroad. They're durable, breathe better than solid textile pants and are large enough to fit over my knee armour and motocross boots. Plus, if they get trashed they're only $17.

I have 2 pair Klim, one with liberal mesh other for colder weather. Even the colder one has crotchal ventilation which can get unpleasant. I forget model names. These are my first proper riding pants so can't really compare to others but they seem well built and heavy but lacking in design. My glitch with the pants is that they don't have belt loops and for the life of me can't figure out how people keep them up. I had belt loops installed so everything in that department is now good. Has pockets to accept hip protection and the knee protection isn't anywhere my knee is when riding. I would hope the protection migrate to cover the knee when crashing but I doubt it. Would not buy again. Also they were expensive.

I have 2 pair Klim, one with liberal mesh other for colder weather. Even the colder one has crotchal ventilation which can get unpleasant. I forget model names. These are my first proper riding pants so can't really compare to others but they seem well built and heavy but lacking in design. My glitch with the pants is that they don't have belt loops and for the life of me can't figure out how people keep them up. I had belt loops installed so everything in that department is now good. Has pockets to accept hip protection and the knee protection isn't anywhere my knee is when riding. I would hope the protection migrate to cover the knee when crashing but I doubt it. Would not buy again. Also they were expensive.
Yeah, neither of my riding pants have the knee protection placed well and it moves too easily. I also suspect it'd do bugger all in a crash.

I never use my bilt pants because they have no pockets. Neither of them have belt loops, but I bought a pair of suspenders to solve that problem.

I was considering just using any old baggy pants with knee and hip protection strapped on underneath. I'd have to get nylon pants that are easy to wipe clean with a cloth. The wife would never let me throw muddy pants in her fancy washing machine.

Yeah, neither of my riding pants have the knee protection placed well and it moves too easily. I also suspect it'd do bugger all in a crash.

I never use my bilt pants because they have no pockets. Neither of them have belt loops, but I bought a pair of suspenders to solve that problem.

I was considering just using any old baggy pants with knee and hip protection strapped on underneath. I'd have to get nylon pants that are easy to wipe clean with a cloth. The wife would never let me throw muddy pants in her fancy washing machine.

The Joe Rocket Goose have adjustable knee protection, hip armour, adjustable sides, zipper to attach your jacket to, and water-resistant pockets. My wallet was in my pants when we did the water crossing, and despite water all over the pants my wallet was completely dry. I was originally going to buy the Rev'IT Sand2 pants, but the Goose fit me better. Don't mind the dog hair... Freaking husky loves leaving her mark on my clothes ;)

cP4A00Q.jpg

Du6GRmL.jpg

QgXW9Sa.jpg

yeah - buy some proper knee guards that stay in place.
I swiped my kids Forcefield for this ride as the new boots are higher

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-zeus-knee-protectors

I prefer fit to joint armor.

I wear a pair or $100 mesh pants off road and on and just pull the knee armour.

That said - regular riding pants plus the Fox knee armor was fine in Australia - not as heavy and while the pant's did nada and wore through instantly the armor worked perfectly saved a knee injury.

I don't ride off road fast at all compared to buddies but even 20-30 kph get off hurts.

SUmmer time the armored shirts are great with a Motocross shirt over it. $100 or so for Thor.

If you want cheap - the Thor knee guards served me well but they are really not designed for serious protection - but they are very light so I tend to wear them all the time which I might not do with heavier gear.
Easy on and off.

Levis, they don't rip, they don't tear, least yer bit by a grizzly bear!
i know, too much time on my hands!

i just ordered a set of first gear kathmandu pants from Canadas motorcycle yesterday to replace my aging joe rocket. i offroad a lot and ride four seasons. i will NEVER buy gear again that has a waterproof zip in liner. my old rocket jacket weighed 37lbs once after riding in a heavy downpour.
do yourself a favour and get a decent suit that is ventable with a waterproof outer shell.

Back
Top Bottom