Wet Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wet Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base

Hey Mac
Ya i liked 220 up to Petersburg.
I didnt get to do north of it though.
Did you happen to check out http://www.smokehole.com/
From the road it looked really nice

Rode all around the Smokehole area - did not do any touristing but will be back now I now it's a 7-8 hr run with a mix of slab and 220.

I was such a vegetable yesterday afternoon !!!!!....lack of sleep caught up with me....too risky on a new to me ride .....was getting the bikes mixed up and grabbing the clutch for the rear brake.

Out cold for 3 hours when I got in tho had a nice break at the Seneca Rocks and stuck the Scott jacket in the top box - enough of that !!!!

Had excellent ravioli in town once I woke and another Wee rider from Cleveland dropped by the motel and said hi. Saw the ride report on the Strom site.

Got a decent nights sleep despite an errant pizza delivery pounding on the door ( wasn't horrid late )

Mellow today - enjoying the weather.

ETA for home says 6 pm - not 100% sure I'll do the run but it's nice to be warm the whole way :D

Just enjoying a Sheetz latte and snack wrap....better than McDs and about the same price. Coffee is way better.
Like the chain.

just got in …..only got to 27 not 30
still 13 hours ago was sunny and chiily 7 …then up to 27 then down 15 now - got a little wet but wind was insane in some areas….
Made a navigation error and cost myself an extra hour or more grrrr - gotta learn to trust the GPS - got way to far east on 99 and missed the turn on 80 to stay S of Buffalo....

What's a little ride in the dark in the rain in deer country...:rolleyes:

Gear all worked okay....bike still feels top heavy - think I will try the exact same load in the panniers and try riding with it distributed between the two and see if that helps a bit...

Boots were great
Jacket is okay zero to 25 - iffy after that.
Not 100% on the Adventure seat but that was 13 hours of which 11 riding so a long day.

Bike just rock solid all the time....rider marginal at times ;)
I got enough sleep this time....yesterday was brutal - not enough sleep and blistering hot - went home and crashed at 4 for a few hours.

Sure is pretty country.

Last edited:
Marietta is a great place for a base to ride out of. I did 4 days last week and then down again for another 4 days this past weekend and got home on Tues. Just to many roads to ride. West Virginia is right there. You only have to cross the bridge and you are in WV. Just look at google maps and you can find many twisty roads. It goes on forever. It is only half the distance to the Dragon - Approx 6 hours to get there. The last couple of days was in the 70's. When I left for home was 69 F at 6am. Just to much fun not to go.

Last edited:
Nice report Mac.
I loved the Pertersburg area.
you could easily spend a couple days there riding.
And I agree with NS...Marietta is a great base area.
6 hours isn't that far away and the riding in that area is terrific.

Yes if I had not made a nav error would have been an easy ride back.
Glad I came back yesterday - This is current barrier

These are some of the roads worth checking out

Leadmine Mountain Road
Stemple Ridge Road
Holly Meadows Road
Limestone Road
Sevens Iss CO HWY 72/1

THIS however Mike our navigator claims to be one of the best in the state and it sure was "interesting"....gives me some insight into the mild mannered piano man that he apparently takes it at speed.....
CR 3/3 Greenland Gap Road.

Re: West Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base

Sounds like a great ride. Wish I had more vacation days to go south as often as you guys.

Speaking of that, don't you have to work MacDoc? Or retired?

Re: West Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base

Neither - own the company MacDoc.com - good staff and can work wherever there is internet.
Every McDs or coffee shop has good wifi.
It's what lets me travel and still earn a decent living. Lot of travel is from CC points from Mac purchases and touring in the US is cheap - you can generally do for $100 a day including fuel and cheap motel - sometimes more sometimes less.

Back
Top Bottom