Wet Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wet Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base

MacDoc

Site Supporter
West Virginia weekend Oct 25th - suggestions for base

Way too good to turn down

Suggestions as a base for scenic riding...just getting comfortable on the Wee and the tires are not for pushing in the twists but would not mind some off pavement scenery. ( not off road ).
I'll be motelling

Last edited:
Microtel Inn & Suites in Marietta, Ohio. Great roads on both sides of Ohio River and in Wayne National Forest.

Just roll her in some flour, you'll find it.

Lovely day - just warming up a bit at Tim's outside Ellicotville..new boots new bike new jacket - doing okay. Swiped my kids CE knee pads instead of mine - seem okay tho not quite as warm - better fit with the boots tho.

Did not need heated gloves but heated grips were excellent.
Still have a couple of layers left if it gets chilly but looking forward to upper teens and low 20s :D

Too nice

Fighting the sun the last hour was no fun....tired and cranky and getting strobed....no leaves

Last 20 min into Petersburg was sweet tho - smooth twists and away from the sun - nice way to finish and motel is nice - may base here

I'm seriously considering basing here....Poor Daves has decent food - good wifi open late and not expensive.

Any thoughts on Petersburg as an explore base for a couple of days???.

I'll do Smoke Hole in the morning - maybe for breakfast as it's not far. I'm more interesting in scenic, interesting places etc. Bike has the wrong tires for twists and I'm in mellow mood with this last lovely bit of weather..
It was pretty dreary in PA .....missed all the colour this year :(

Last edited:
What are the odds. Petersburg WV not a big town, in fact barely a town.

to give some insight .....Petersburg is a realllly small town ....2500 people....

The odds that a Canadian rider ends up in Petersburg WV in late Oct - of all the hundreds of possible destinations I could have picked.... and THEN hooks up with local Burgman riders who happen to also want a late season jaunt.....purely by coincidence.........gonna buy me a lottery ticket.

This popped up tonight

Petersburg WV - Ride Monday Oct 27
LAST MINUTE PLAN - My schedule opened up and the weather is looking great. A group of 4 of us (3 on Burgman 650s and 1 poor guy on a BMW GTR1600 ) are having breakfast at McDonalds in Petersburg WV this Monday, Oct 27th at about 8:30 or 9am. We are going to make a loop - first south to Mozer/Kline and up Smoke Hole Road, then Spruce Knob and Horse Ridge Road at Riverton, then ??? Maybe south thru Franklin to Monterey and west to Bartow - then north to Canaan Valley Rt 72 or maybe over to Greenland Gap. We are then heading back north to Kingwood and Morgantown on various paved backroads.

If you want to join us, be at the Petersburg WV McDonalds Monday morning at around 8:30 or 9am. Sorry I don't have a smart phone and I'll be in an area with poor reception Sunday, so if our plans change, hope you are flexible. If we're not there by 9:30, head out and enjoy your day. It's supposed to be sunny and 70*. YEAH!

Brilliant - local guides......horse shoes or what!!!!

Last edited:
Yup that's it
Great little place
And ya Petersburg is small but hey there's a Subway and a Sheetz just up the road so you've got coffee and gas in the morning and diner for tonight.

Have you tried Sheetz Single source latte.....as good as any high end shop - they have serious machines for it and the girls know what they are doing

I'm not much of a Latte guy
I more or less just get a coffee and hit it with a couple shots of french cap.
I have had a pizza from there and it is surprisingly good

I figure they've got everything from junk to decent and a fast system. Will get a small latte in the morning and maybe some stuff to keep at the motel since it has microwave and fridge.

Gonna head over to Tip Top, a cafe in Thomas for coffee and something - then set TomTom to Winding Roads towards Hot Springs :D

http://goo.gl/maps/QAaKd

It's blowing like crazy out there now - woke me up. Hope that settles.

For anyone heading down - this route is a mix of slab and secondary highways....100 km less than doing 79 so takes about the same time.

http://goo.gl/maps/SKcjk

Sunday chilly windy and sunny.

Brilliant road Greenland Gap - the Winding Roads picked it off for me.
glad there was no traffic....just gorgeous
Hardly looks like much to start.....gets WAAAAY better.

From the locals - this is a winding, very narrow paved road that could be dangerous at speed....nothing is marked, no guard rails and there are some surprises.....take it easy first go.

Rt 5 north out of Petersburg, don't get on Corrider H (Rt 48 It's 4-lane - boring. Stay on Rt 5 another mile and turn left on CR 3/3 Greenland Gap Road. You will cross another highway, just cross it and continue on 3/3 to the end. When you get to the end of 3/3 under the TALL 4-lane bridge, bear to the left and you will end up at a small white church at the intersection with Rt 42 and Rt 93, at Scherr. Rt 42 goes up the mountain and is so much fun you may want to go back and ride it 2x or 3x. One of the best mountain curves sections in the state. HINT - wait at the bottom of the mountain for a large break in traffic. I sometimes wait 5 minutes or more and take off when I see a car approaching. This way, you don't have to slow down for slowpokes. At the top of the mountain, turn left at the Marathon gas and you're on your way to Thomas on Rt 93. Enjoy

Advisor considers it one of the best in the area. I took it easy with sore hands and a new ride but was enjoyable just from a scenery standpoint as it winds along a whitewater stream and some cliffs.

Tip Top cafe in Thomas worth the trip. Good food and high end coffee.

Met another rider and we swapped some stories ( he was in cage but saw my plate ).
Riding playground down here.

next up

http://goo.gl/maps/0TS6L

219 down to Lewisburg WV and then back to the motel.

Last edited:
The WV gang dropped by to say hello....

looking forward to joining them tomorrow. Vstrom looks positively tiny.

Small town America in a nutshell?? ;)

WV heaven for back roads...

These are some of the places Winding Roads led me today

much fun

Last edited:
Think that cold front stopped right over us....) - damn - chilly ride to McDs....might just stay here :D

The rest of the crew have arrived - smart enough to wait til it's all of 3 degrees
Put the scott jacket in the top case the last 40 miles - sign said 86F

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom