Upgrading next year. Need to know a few things | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upgrading next year. Need to know a few things

Sup123

Hey guys,

So this past season was my first riding season. I bought a 13 Ninja 300 used and have ridden it for 8k+ kms. I have my mind on upgrading next year. I am still riding right now(Ill keep riding until it gets unbearable) but I plan to buy my next bike in the winter season due to the lower prices. Anyways, the two bikes that I had in mind were the 848 EVO and the Daytona 675R. Both 2012+ models. After some very THOROUGH researching I have decided to go ahead with buying the 675R. I am preferably looking to buy a 2013 or a 2014 model. The two questions I had were about insurance and the chance of it being stolen since I have heard stories of newer, more rare bikes being stolen.

In regards to insurance:

On my 300, being 21yo(turning 22 soon) and with an M1 I paid 140$ to SF. I have since then got my M2. I have had my G1 for more than 5 years and G for about 3. Clean record. So I was wondering if any of you would have an idea on how much I should expect to pay(ballpark figure) for a 2013-2014 675R ? I have heard that since its European it will be cheaper than the Japanese bikes. I am not too sure about that. This was one of the reasons I ruled out the 848 since I know it will be more expensive to insure than the 675R.

In regards to possible theft:

Aside from installing disc locks etc, I wanted to know how often do people have their bikes stolen? Does basic insurance cover the bike cost in case of theft?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

$140 / year sounds good. Is there a reason that you don't want to stick with it?

Cross country trip or something?

As as for theft, get it insured, use one of the disc locks, and try to keep it where there's lots of witnesses.
If a pro decides they want it, they'll get it.

Motorcycle ratings for insurance aren't as granular as they are for cars. There's generally two main factors: 1) is it a "sport" bike? and 2) how big is the engine? That's it. So it not being a Japanese bike won't make the insurance more expensive, the replacement cost might. And that extra 75ccs will actually make a difference on insurance.

Keep in mind for theft coverage that you will have a deductible: you will chose what it's set at, but it'll be something like $300-1000.

My take on bike theft is thieves want bikes that they car part out and sell. Rarer bikes like Triumphs are not big on the theft radar because they are harder to find buyers for the parts. That being said it does not mean it won't get stolen. Carry theft insurance it is not that much extra on most policies.

675 costs 750 insurance money. Not worth it unless you're getting the 750 and as others have said, I'll bet minimum you get 4k quotes. Owning a ss before 30 here is expensive.

Disc locks are absolutely useless from what I understand.

They're good for forgetting that you have it on and bending your brake rotor.

Generally speaking, people that want to steal your bike will lift it, people that want to sit on your bike will sit on it, and people that knock bikes over and run away will do just that.

I guess it prevents people from rolling it down the block pulling a "HA! You thought your bike was stolen" prank.

You can always just call your choice of insurance companies and get a hypothetical quote for the bike that you're planning to get. Though I think they tell you that they can only guarantee that price for 30 days or something.

Also, you'd be an idiot to not get fire and theft on your policy on a nice shiny expensive bike around Toronto. It would probably only raise your premium by like $200/yr at most.

You can spend all the money on anti-theft as you want, but those anti-theft devices won't help you recover your losses if the bike were to get stolen.

Last edited:
Your first bit of research should have been insurance quotes. If you can swallow $4k+ a year, it's a fantastic bike.

Call around. We are all guessing rates from previous experience.

Lastly, the 300 is an awesome bike. $140 is dirt cheap for a 21 y/o.

Your first bit of research should have been insurance quotes. If you can swallow $4k+ a year, it's a fantastic bike.

Call around. We are all guessing rates from previous experience.

Lastly, the 300 is an awesome bike. $140 is dirt cheap for a 21 y/o.

grind it out on the 300 for another season or 3, get to 25, and your SS will be the same as your 300 on insurance.
Chicks don't know the difference between bikes anyway, so your street cred is safe.

Back
Top Bottom