Kids learning to ride in the dirt? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kids learning to ride in the dirt?

SLaP

Site Supporter
Anyone here starting their kids riding dirt? Trails, MX or both?
Where do you go with your kids?

So far I have taken my son to a big grass field and an open area with a small 'track' in the Ganaraska Forest (Thanks Xhumeka!).
Going to try to get him on the small track at RJs Motorsport (Barrie) this Saturday, depending on the weather.

Check out Steel city Riders. They have a property outside of Brantford with two mx tracks and some single track. I will be joining them next year with my daughter.

RJ's is good too, but I've only been there for the annual SCORRA family fun day.

^ Nice! Thanks Robp, Steel City Riders looks good also and the same distance for us from Toronto!
How long has your daughter been riding?

She's only been out a handful of times on her JR50. She outgrew it though so I had to sell it. I'll be buying her a new bike over the winter.

Right on! What are you looking to get next for her?

My son is 10, riding a crf70f (Semi-automatic). Next summer, I will look for something with a clutch.

I was thinking about a 70, but I like the 2 strokes better because they are usually lighter. I started racing cross country's this year and she wants to do them too. She's 8 years old and not super outgoing so I'm not sure how she'll do.

My son has a ktm 65 but he doesn't want to ride anymore.

I am sure she'll do fine! Tell her to just have fun... that's what it's all about!

Maybe we'll see you at SCR next year!

Anyone here starting their kids riding dirt? Trails, MX or both?
Where do you go with your kids?

So far I have taken my son to a big grass field and an open area with a small 'track' in the Ganaraska Forest (Thanks Xhumeka!).
Going to try to get him on the small track at RJs Motorsport (Barrie) this Saturday, depending on the weather.

Getting my son into dirt biking as well. He just turned 4 in September. Santa is bringing him crf50 for Christmas. The track at RJ's is really nice, lots of kids ride there on the weekends.

Can't wait for next season so he can have fun on his track and i can have fun on mine! lol

^ Nice! Awesome present!

We passed by RJs a couple of weeks ago to check it out, does look good. Should give the kids a good challenge!
Maybe we'll see you guys there next year!

Here's a video I found on youtube, if anyone wants to see what the JR track looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrle6uxYO50

I'm a bit late with my daughter (she's 30).This was her first time on two wheels a couple of weeks ago.Pretty good teacher btw.Anyone recognize him.She was thrilled and I was holding back tears.[video=youtube;QX_3mNnhePw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_3mNnhePw&list=UUbi-gw3JZMul-VzYTRmMN2Q[/video]

My kid started when he was 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son just turned 3. Loves everything about my bike. Want to bring him to one of the courses. Wife is NOT on board with this. Any suggestions? (and yes, get rid of wife is a consideration ?)

My son just turned 3. Loves everything about my bike. Want to bring him to one of the courses. Wife is NOT on board with this. Any suggestions? (and yes, get rid of wife is a consideration )

Both my kids started at age 3, mom wasn't happy either. I made sure they had full gear, and explained what a throttle limiter is for, she reluctantly gave in... The first injury was a little hard to get past, but we managed. My son is 8, daughter is 7, every time he upgrades, she takes his old bike and we sell hers to help finance his.

Both my kids started at age 3, mom wasn't happy either. I made sure they had full gear, and explained what a throttle limiter is for, she reluctantly gave in... The first injury was a little hard to get past, but we managed. My son is 8, daughter is 7, every time he upgrades, she takes his old bike and we sell hers to help finance his.

Thanks. I'm hoping to make it happen. And hopefully it will entice my 11 year old to spend time with his old man too.

Thanks. I'm hoping to make it happen. And hopefully it will entice my 11 year old to spend time with his old man too.

I joined the OFTR, we do a bunch of one and two day trail rides in the summer, the kids love it, and it really helps bring them into the community. Sometimes I take them to Off-road ontario race events and we volunteer to help out. Again, a fun experience that opens up the biking world to them. Every year we participate in the Scorra clean up day, collecting trash and cleaning up trails, they love it running through the woods.
Don't forget to remind mom of the peace she gets when you and the kids are in the woods! Lol

^ Nice! Awesome present!

We passed by RJs a couple of weeks ago to check it out, does look good. Should give the kids a good challenge!
Maybe we'll see you guys there next year!

Here's a video I found on youtube, if anyone wants to see what the JR track looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrle6uxYO50

Just picked up his fifty last night! So stoked for Christmas! Picked some riding gear, goggles and two helmets for him as well!

Hid his bike in the garage and I'm thinking I should test it out myself a few times... you know... just to make sure it runs well! ;)

I think I'm one of a few mom's that actually is thrilled about their kids riding!

My son just turned 3. Loves everything about my bike. Want to bring him to one of the courses. Wife is NOT on board with this. Any suggestions? (and yes, get rid of wife is a consideration ?)

You can try playing the "if they learn on dirt early on they will have more respect for motorcycles if they ever decide to ride street" card. lol :D

We didn't end up getting to RJs. Something came up! :( And now the weather is not looking good! Hopefully there is a warm spell before we winterize his bike!

I'm a bit late with my daughter (she's 30).This was her first time on two wheels a couple of weeks ago.Pretty good teacher btw.Anyone recognize him.She was thrilled and I was holding back tears.

That's awesome! Never too late to learn! How did she like it?

My kid started when he was 3

How old is your kid now? What kind of riding is he doing? What's he riding... Trails? MX?

My son just turned 3. Loves everything about my bike. Want to bring him to one of the courses. Wife is NOT on board with this. Any suggestions? (and yes, get rid of wife is a consideration &#128521

Bring your son and wife to the Honda Rock the Red event next year. They can check out the free introductory Junior Red Riders program they have at the event (not sure if they will allow someone that age however). Your wife will be able to see how slow the kids are starting out, how tame the bikes are, and the great training they receive. This may make her more receptive to the idea.

I joined the OFTR, we do a bunch of one and two day trail rides in the summer, the kids love it, and it really helps bring them into the community. Sometimes I take them to Off-road ontario race events and we volunteer to help out. Again, a fun experience that opens up the biking world to them. Every year we participate in the Scorra clean up day, collecting trash and cleaning up trails, they love it running through the woods.
Don't forget to remind mom of the peace she gets when you and the kids are in the woods! Lol

Sounds like good times!

Just picked up his fifty last night! So stoked for Christmas! Picked some riding gear, goggles and two helmets for him as well!

Hid his bike in the garage and I'm thinking I should test it out myself a few times... you know... just to make sure it runs well!

I think I'm one of a few mom's that actually is thrilled about their kids riding!

Sweet! And the awesome mom award goes to... YZFoxxy! :)
For sure, you'll definitely have to ring it out a bit to make sure it's in tip top shape!

Back
Top Bottom