Looking for good USA to Canada bike shipping company | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for good USA to Canada bike shipping company

RicoChet

Hi All. I am looking to buy a motorcycle from my brother, who recently moved to the US and took his bike down with him. He's up for selling it to me (thats what having 2 kids in 3 years does!) and I'd like to transport it back here to Toronto.

The bike is still registered and plated for Ontario, but is just physically located down there. Would I have to deal with import fees and stuff for bringing a Canadian bike over the border through a 3rd party?

Is it possible to get it safetied wthout coming back to Canada? I can get insurance and registration done, but I'd rather not bring it back to canada just for that since I eventually want the bike down there so i have something to ride when I visit.

Only one company got back to me so far and it was quite pricey.. $850 from North Carolina to Ontario. Trying to see if thats a reasonable cost. Technically I could ride the bike back but its not really meant for long distance travel, has a small tank... not very fuel efficient and I tend to fall asleep after being on the road too long... so I really want to go with a shipping solution.

No import fees, it's a Canadian registered vehicle coming back to Canada.
Double check, but I think transferring vehicles between family members does not require a safety. I may be thinking of tax, so double check.

Failing that, you would have to find a mechanic willing to safety the bike without seeing it.

Double check, but I think transferring vehicles between family members does not require a safety. I may be thinking of tax, so double check.

Failing that, you would have to find a mechanic willing to safety the bike without seeing it.

The person I spoke to on the phone today told me that it cost $120 for a broker to get my bike across the border. When I asked him if I were to ride the bike across the border, would there be a fee? He said no, but then claimed that it's different because my bike would be on a transport truck. I don't know if that's true or not. I asked if I can even do the brokering myself and he said no, but he could just be a lying SOB.

I probably could find someone who would safety it with out seeing it. The bike is in perfect working order except maybe for a run down battery by now since its collecting dust.

I probably could find someone who would safety it with out seeing it. The bike is in perfect working order except maybe for a run down battery by now since its collecting dust.
That's definitely the way to go, saves you from the hassle of bringing it back.

Tax. You don't have to pay tax if the vehicle is being transferred from one relative to another. There's a PDF on the service ontario website that you print and fill out.

As for ownership transfer, it's like any other Ontario transaction because the bike is still plated/registered in Ontario.

You are allowed a one time tax free transfer of ownership on the vehicle between family members. (at least a few years ago when I transferred mine from my dad). If you ride it back there is no fee as it already registered here.

You're allowed to transfer that vehicle once a year without paying tax less the cost of safety, plates, stickers, and ownership change if the person is a direct family member (grandmom/dad mom/dad sister/brother son/daughter granddaughter/grandson)

If you do need to go get it and it must be shipped, look into having it delivered to one of the receiving companies at the border and you can go pick it up yourself, ride it across or trailer. Like others have said it plated/registered etc in Ontario, should not need brokerage.

I would suspect that the shipping cost would be greatly reduced if the transporter doe not have to bring over the border. We all know that shipping in the states is pretty cheap, once shipping in Canada becomes involved the cost shoots up.

A friend of mine owns/operates the place, http://www.parceldonkeyusa.com/, they have the capability of receiving vehicles/motorcycles. Give them a look. They are one exit outside of the Queenston/Lewiston border crossing.

It may even be possible to ship back from them when you are ready.

Good Luck

Who's crating the bike if you are shipping it? If you want it back in Canada, I would just get a trailer and pick it up. By the time you crate it and ship it, I would be surprised if you could get it to the border for less than $500.

Someone just shipped their bike back from BC to ON using a harley dealer, maybe you could inquire with dealerships in your brothers area. They have crates and are used to shipping bikes.

You're allowed to transfer that vehicle once a year without paying tax less the cost of safety, plates, stickers, and ownership change if the person is a direct family member (grandmom/dad mom/dad sister/brother son/daughter granddaughter/grandson)

yup. More details and form here -> [URL="http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/AttachDownload?openagent&TM=10_23_2014_10_36_59_AM&ENV=WWE&NO=013-1157E&SEQ=1&VER=2"]Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario[/url]

You can transfer ownership without paying the retail sales tax when receiving a vehicle from a:

• spouse
  • parent or step-parent
  • grandparent or step-grandparent
  • son or step-son
  • daughter or step-daughter
  • grandson or step-grandson
  • granddaughter or step-granddaughter
  • son-in-law
  • daughter-in-law
  • father-in-law
  • mother-in-law
  • sibling
  • half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
  • adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption), or
  • siblings-in-law (siblings of a spouse or spouse of a sibling)
https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/how-do-i-transfer-ownership-vehicle

Tried to switch ownership of a car between me and my dad this year - required safety and test. Pretty sure its the same for bikes.

Tried to switch ownership of a car between me and my dad this year - required safety and test. Pretty sure its the same for bikes.

Bikes just need a safety cert, they don't do e-tests for bikes.

No need to crate bikes for most shippers. They have bike specific skids and just strap them down.

This guy can ship it
Roy-Garber-Best-Shipper.jpg

Take a friend for a road trip to NC....drive down in a car and ride it back up. Cheapest way and you get to see your brother and nieces and nephews! Win win!

Back
Top Bottom