Brake lever guards | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake lever guards

Maraujo

What kind of brake lever guards do you recommend or use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious, do these guards get in the way of the "screw driver" grip?

What do you mean by that?

I have the Woodcraft guard. It doesn't get in the way of anything, and it's adjustable for how far out your brake lever is from the handlebar. The bad thing is that it clamps onto the bar, which means the handlebar needs to be long enough. Not an issue with aftermarket Woodcraft handlebars ... probably an issue with stock handlebars.

The Sunny-and-Drew (Slightly Stoopid Racing) guard uses an expansion gizmo that clamps it to the inside of the handlebar. Should work with most tubular aftermarket handlebars. May or may not work with stock handlebars that are threaded for screw-in bar-end weights. (Drew may have another solution if your handlebars are like that, ask him)

The ebay made-in-China one looks flimsy.

The Dion device is fancy but very expensive.

What do you mean by that?
During turns, I got into the habit of holding the bars as I would a screwdriver. I feel if I put on a standard (Woodcraft and the like) lever guard that the outside of my hand would rub against it and it won't allow me to get my upper body properly positioned.

The Dion device is a nice piece, but I don't think i can squeeze any more room on my right clip-on.

Last edited:
During turns, I got into the habit of holding the bars as I would a screwdriver. I feel if I put on a standard (Woodcraft and the like) lever guard that the outside of my hand would rub against it and it won't allow me to be "light" on the bars.

The Dion device is a nice piece, but I don't think i can squeeze any more room on my right clip-on.

Maybe using a woodcraft type will force you away from that wtf grip.

On second thought, I think the lever guard is facing down enough that it wouldn't rub against my hand.

Maybe using a woodcraft type will force you away from that wtf grip.
LOL, look at his left hand, you'll know what I'm talking about:

5pedrosa-marquez-r01-2013-10.jpg

LOL, look at his left hand, you'll know what I'm talking about:

5pedrosa-marquez-r01-2013-10.jpg

I know exactly what you mean, but since were talking about brake lever guards we're talking about your right/throttle hand. You can hold the left bar with your palm up if you really want to

p01.jpg

The major problem I see with them is the guard part is made of plastic which looks like it would break easily on impact. Otherwise the design looks decent.

For the price I'm going to order one anyway just to see how it is. Spiderman uses the mount and just made his own guard out of metal.

I got a Chinese set off eBay and they are all metal. No plastic at all, even the black end cap is metal. Nicely adjustable too. Didn't survive the very first mud nap though, so it's good that they come in a set of 2.

Edit: Looking at that set again I don't think it's the same as mine. The seller I got mine from doesn't have them (kaokangtang). Those ones say aluminum and plastic... :(

Last edited:
The guards that come off the bar end are most likely to protect your fingers in a crash. Loosing a pinkie finger is least likely with this model.
So they are not just a brake guard but can protect your hand in a crash. The "screwdriver" bar hold is most likely going to cost your much more in a crash then a pinkie finger..
I like the Mikey Moto style as it's easy to install and can be used on both side.
Yes,, if you run one on one side then you should run one on the clutch side. If you tag your clutch leaver on someone it could casue you to crash as well.
But the secondary aspect of "some" guards is to help protect your hands when you're on the ground. More to think about. Plastic is not probably going to help here.

As the guy who mandates them I dont really care what model you use or why as long as it protects from an accidental hit on the lever its good. We have a few good home. There is an argument for and against for crash protection I have no opinion. Here is the reason that we want them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7M3azuIWM

I was using a Woodcraft clamp-on type at the beginning of the season, but I had it attached to a custom bar-end because the bar wasn't long enough. It tore out in a crash. Then I had one of the Chinese ones with the expander in the end of the bar. It was never as secure as the Woodcraft (i.e., you could rotate it pretty easily), and it also tore out in a crash. In that case the exposed end of the clipon ran across my finger and tore it up so bad I ended up losing part of my finger.

With that experience, my objective is to have a setup that maximizes the likelihood of the brake lever guard doing its job, but also of the bar end staying in so it doesn't leave the end of the clipon exposed. Current setup is a Woodcraft clamp type guard on custom (i.e., long enough) Woodcraft bars with the Woodcraft bar ends installed.

What I am saying is that the lever guard is important for safety, but so is a good secure bar end, so don't sacrifice one for the other if you don't have to.

I am convinced the Woodcraft I had (bar end) was the cause of my broken thumb on Round 1.

As my crash was a low side making a left, the brake guard didn't allow my right hand to slide off the grip and caused the handlebar to crush my thumb against the frame of the bike.

I now use the Dion device and will not use any bar ends again.

There are pros and cons to all the styles. Just pick one you like the most that you think will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom