DIM tire change question | GTAMotorcycle.com

DIM tire change question

inreb

Site Supporter
Will be changing tires for one of our brethren and Doing It Myself. One thing I've not pinned down is tire orientation vis-a-vis the dot. Is the dot always the heavy spot going opposite the valve stem or is it the light spot sometimes? What's the deal?

Yellow spot to the valve stem is what I remember always doing. Sometimes I recall a red spot as well...

Different manufacturer, different coloured dots??

I could have sworn I read somewhere some tire companies put dot at belt connection? Does it make sense to test every tire for light or heavy spot?

Never really thought about it. I'd assume they'd test every one?

I'd hope at least.

I spoon on my own as well. I balance the front, (as long as its close, I call it good;) never bother with the rear. You bolt a sprocket and carrier on, so balance is off at that point anyways...

Balance front as well. Didn't once, could see the fork vibrate. Rear I sometimes do or not depending mood or time, doesn't seem to make too much difference.

After posting my question I googled around. Still a bit of indecision out there but general mood seems to be red dot on valve stem.

My latest set of Avon Road Riders didn't have any dots. No hints! Started out needing 60g for the rear. Rotated the tire and got it down to 5g.

Matt, can't you balance your rear with the sprocket and hub already in place?

Hmmm, I don't recall any dots on the Avon Distanzia rear I thru on the DR recently.......I think the most I've ever put on was 8x.25oz pieces, 2 ounces doesn't sound like much.

Sprocket and carrier are pretty close to centre. I wonder how a chain partially wrapped around the sprocket affects things?

Last edited:
The weights I have are 5g each. No way I was going to stick twelve of 'em on. That would look retarded!

You made the right call on that one. Even 8 little pieces(4 per side) didn't look so hot.

The dot is the lightest part of the tire. The valve stem puts additional weight onto the tire.

I'd highly not recommend using wd40. Seems like it dissolves your tire
5b64603eab3ca839b3445c5ce259ac02.jpg

RockerGuy - I googled it, some people are finding the stem is not always the heaviest. You would think so tho. I've used WD-40 for quite some time and you're right it does affect the tire. When I brush it on (I put it in a fridge-o-seal container) it turns black from dissolving rubber. I've never had any problems with a tire in fact I think it's helped me. Let me explain. I have the wider super moto rims on the DR650. This allows me to run a bigger rear tire designed for big heavy adventure bikes. The tire load rating is way above what the DR650 calls for. The dissolving rubber seems to glue the tire bead to rim, judging by how hard it is to break the bead when changing tires. I got a puncture 30kms from home and was pleasantly surprised that I got home with no air. Faster I went, it felt like no flat. The extra stiffness of the tire and vulcanizing of tire bead saved me that day I believe. Having said all that I am now using official tire mounting rim slip.

I put on my tire with no lube, lol. I think i'm getting better at this

I put on my tire with no lube, lol. I think i'm getting better at this

r u talking about a motorcycle tire on to a motorcycle rim that it is meant to go on because if yar I don't believe it

Balance front as well. Didn't once, could see the fork vibrate. Rear I sometimes do or not depending mood or time, doesn't seem to make too much difference.

After posting my question I googled around. Still a bit of indecision out there but general mood seems to be red dot on valve stem.

FWIW, from ADV:

If you're so inclined, you can check the wheel only on your balancer to find the true heavy spot. Do this with a valve stem or tube in place.

Last edited:
r u talking about a motorcycle tire on to a motorcycle rim that it is meant to go on because if yar I don't believe it

Yessir, took me a while to figure out the technique

Sent from my tablet using my paws

A spray bottle of soapy water is all you need.

What I need and what I want are two entirely different things:eek: There's something about introducing wetness into the rim-tube-tire interface that I can't square in my head. Moisture, I've never liked it trapped. I'm probably making a big fuss for naught. Thanks for the Advrider link, that settles it for me.

Back
Top Bottom