Snow tires | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

I love my Blizzak WS70's, I'm sure the new generation is even better. Beware though, they wear like pencil erasers on warm asphalt but I think that's why their ice grip is phenomenal.

I didn't know that. Now I am getting second thoughts!

I have used two sets of Michelins X Ice, the original and the X2. Both were used, the first set from Kijiji and the second came with the car.

I didn't want to get the Michelin X3 because I saw the reviews on the Blizzak. But the wear on the tire is a concern... and these are expensive... I'll have to think about it

My blizzaks lasted 4 seasons. Take them off when it gets warm, put them on when it's cold, and don't drive 140km/h while taking sharp turns when you have the odd warm winter day.

Might as welI ask this here. BMW drivers; run flat winter tires
Aye or nay? The car doesn't come with a spare so I can see an issue if I ever get a puncture on non-runflats with no spare handy.

If you are just driving locally, that's what CAA is for. Otherwise you don't have much choice, except for spare in your trunk ...

I had Gislaved Nordfrost winter tires on my Jetta, and they were really good. I think I got 4 seasons out of them, but the last one was the year before last, which wasn't much of a winter (and they had seen better days by that time).

Current car has Continental WinterContact which, at the time that I bought them, was all the tire place could get in the correct size. They are OK but no match for the Gislaveds. Got through last winter with the Contis, so they are not all bad.

Might as welI ask this here. BMW drivers; run flat winter tires
Aye or nay? The car doesn't come with a spare so I can see an issue if I ever get a puncture on non-runflats with no spare handy.

I'm in that boat, too. The lousy selection of run-flats and the inherent compromises involved suggest Nay, to the run flats. You can use regular tires but either make sure your TPMS works or watch tire pressure like a hawk, and have CAA just in case. Throw one of the summer tires in the trunk as a spare if you are venturing beyond CAA free-tow distance.

The same for me .... Bought regular winters. Luckily the TPMS on my car has been pretty reliable and I have CAA. The car doesn't leave GTA much anyways ....

I've literally never had a flat in the winter. Only used the spare in my car once and that was only because the CAA guy they sent said "That's a Porsche. I'm not towing it. Let's put your 25 year old collapsible spare with the flat spot on it." Fun drive to Can Tire at 70 kph on the 401 while the car feels like it's going to shake itself apart. Unless I were driving out to the boonies I'd just buy non-run flats, but that's just me.

As for winter tires, I tried some cheapo "Triangle 777" tires a few years ago. Used them on two different cars through 2 different "snowmaggeddons" and did fine. I was surprised. I'd buy them again.

Nokian Hakapalitta R2, X-ice 3, Toyo Is5 in that order for the best. Blizzaks are really good to but will wear much faster then the others.
Firestone winter force, Altima, Hankook icebear, Dunlop Graspic, the worst in that order.
We do thousands, and I mean thousands of tires a season, these are my findings and general personal opinion.....

Last edited:
the best or next to the best in class for wet/snow/ice traction,

I heard these are great in ice but rated a lot lower for in snow......

I put the Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires on my Kia Sorento AWD last November. They were amazing in the snow. I've only had them for one winter, and now that I've been driving on them all year, I'm curious to see how they perform this coming winter. I think they are rated for 60,000 to 80,000 kms.

I need to pick up a set of rims & snows this winter for a new vehicle. Just some mid level ones as I mostly drive around the city and don't drive a lot if the weather is bad. Tires are 235/60/18 and I was finding selection a little limited and thought about going down a size to 17" rim and larger side wall etc (need to find one of those calculators) to give more options. Any suggestions of places around the GTA other than Can Tire that have decent prices and selection?

Those General Altimax Arctic look like a great mid priced option but I can't seem to find the right sizes.

I usually go to Tire Terminal near Britannia and Dixie. Mostly just because they're close to work but they seem reasonable.

Just order from Tire Rack to your favorite place that accepts packages. Or direct to a shop to have them installed while you're there.

They will be much cheaper than in Ontario.

Anyone recommend any tire places in US? Going to NYC in December maybe get from there if cheaper.

I'm going to the USA in December and had the same idea. Prices here are only ~$10 more per tire (compared to the Tire Rack) for the tire that I want (Blizzak WS 80).

So I will be happy to pay $40 more to get them locally now (before my trip to the USA), and that way I do not have to bring my summer tires back in the trunk.

Nokian Hakapalitta R2, X-ice 3, Toyo Is5 in that order for the best. Blizzaks are really good to but will wear much faster then the others.
Firestone winter force, Altima, Hankook icebear, Dunlop Graspic, the worst in that order.
We do thousands, and I mean thousands of tires a season, these are my findings and general personal opinion.....

I don't know man. Maybe WS-60s. They wore quick. I don't see WS-70s wearing MUCH faster than any other higher end winter tire. The new generation (WS-80) should be even better, it is also quite cheap compared to Michelin for example. Not to say anything bad about Michelin X-Ice 3, just the price; Michelins are generally my favorites, depending on the size and model of course. I'll also agree with Nokian being up there. Those 3 would be my top three. I'm talking about city/highway driving. If you intend to drive in deep snow, up north, then more aggressive tires are recommended. (No comment on Toyo from me, because my personal experience with them is minimal)

Roasted - winter run-flats are generally stupid expensive. I would recommend getting regular winter tires and keeping a spare, mounted on the rim for the duration of the season.
For an excellent and affordable all-season run-flat, try Bridgestone Driveguard. It's a Serenity with reinforced sidewalls. Not as heavy, nor stiff as older gen run-flat tires. Not for SUVs or trucks though.

Just order from Tire Rack to your favorite place that accepts packages. Or direct to a shop to have them installed while you're there.

They will be much cheaper than in Ontario.

Canadian prices have been steadily getting closer to American for the past few years. It's basically not worth it any more to drive down there when you factor in time and gas and a chance to get nabbed with taxes. When you see crazy sales across the border, it's usually old gen tires or simply old DOTs. Buy locally from a place that gives a good warranty, not just manufacturer's.

I need to pick up a set of rims & snows this winter for a new vehicle. Just some mid level ones as I mostly drive around the city and don't drive a lot if the weather is bad. Tires are 235/60/18 and I was finding selection a little limited and thought about going down a size to 17" rim and larger side wall etc (need to find one of those calculators) to give more options. Any suggestions of places around the GTA other than Can Tire that have decent prices and selection?

Those General Altimax Arctic look like a great mid priced option but I can't seem to find the right sizes.

225/65r17 is one of the most popular sizes overall nowadays. Great selection.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 - $770 installed, balanced, tax in. Costco.

I had Nokian Winter Tires on the Venture, they didn't last long.

i might have to wait to raise some cash to buy some tires.

What about Costco? Problem is it's hard to get in for the free swapping, and you have to buy the rims separate.
Will other places price match them though?

Back
Top Bottom