Snow tires | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

I talked to a few subaru people in ut/co that swear by conti DWS even in the winter. To keep snow performance when they get to 50% thread I sell them for 80% of the purchase price on kijiji. Sound plan.

I tried the ecsta on my supra. Sucked big time in rain.
You're smoking some good stuff if you think used tires will sell for 80% of their original purchase price. Or your buyers are.

Unfortunately no snowflake symbol on those DWS tires so no discount for snow tires, which almost every insurer offers these days.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Continental DW (not DWS) if you have a dedicated winter setup.
Terrific price, for marginally less communication/ultimate grip than Michelin PSS, comparable ride quality, but with more durable treadware.

I

I tried the ecsta on my supra. Sucked big time in rain.

What were you running before?
I still think they perform remarkably better in the rain than all seasons

You're smoking some good stuff if you think used tires will sell for 80% of their original purchase price. Or your buyers are.

Unfortunately no snowflake symbol on those DWS tires so no discount for snow tires, which almost every insurer offers these days.

Lol I was kidding, making fun of kijijidiots. There's a guy selling four "slightly" used DWS for $100 more than what CT sells them for including taxes. He got pissy when I sent him a good offer with the link.

I put an order on CT website for the altimax hp. Got an email that they are discontinued and out of stock. Now I am considering the general AS-3, conti DW and falken azenis fk-453 and the ziex ze-950. Dunno much about falken, but the ziex seems to be pretty similar to the dws in purpose.

You can read reviews on tires on tirerack. Very informative, just look at reviews where the person seem knowledgeable

Salium :p (dunno, forgot)

I think you mean Sailun, which I'm starting to see on a lot of cars these days. Not sure about them, but I looked at an Audi TT convertible in the Costco parking lot that had them on, the sidewalls were cracking. If the owner was that freakin' cheap what else did he skimp on?

You can read reviews on tires on tirerack. Very informative, just look at reviews where the person seem knowledgeable

Dunno I dont trust reviews that much these days. Marketing departments caught on that buyers value user reviews. Not sure how it is for most things, but the outdoor equipment and ski industry is one nasty marketing machine. Forums and paid off, independent reviewers give positive reviews to continue getting free samples. I am not it's the same for tire reviews.

Now with that in mind I found a place that sells conti PureContact

235/45R17 - 94 H ---- $640.00 - Less $65.00 mail in-rebate(March 15/15) = $575.00 ... tax included

just buy Michelins, no need to look at clueless people giving reviews. You'll automatically know you are getting the best tires on earth...

Sort the surveys based on "highest mileage driven on tires" on tirerack. That's where all the useful reviews are.
Not that treadware ratings are uniform, but the Conti DW will easily be the stickiest (340 vs 480+ on the other tires you listed).
They are super quiet too! Great reviews even in the 60,000+ mile reviews in the aforementioned method ^^

Bump. What is a good place to re-balance tires in central Toronto. Somewhere between 427/DVP. Does the shop and it's equipment matter much?

just buy Michelins, no need to look at clueless people giving reviews. You'll automatically know you are getting the best tires on earth...

On any car, or just Honda's ... want to clarify that so I don't make a mistake.

Bump. What is a good place to re-balance tires in central Toronto. Somewhere between 427/DVP. Does the shop and it's equipment matter much?

If your getting your tires balanced, the shop more so then the equipment is very important. If the tech does not use the proper hub adapter, or does not make sure the wheel is properly mounted on the balancing machine the balance will be off. I'm not trying to say it's rocket science but high school kids working at wal-mart or canadian tire either won't know to be careful or will just not care.

For car tires I would suggest Kipling Tire, for anything larger I use Blu-Jay tire now a Ok tire franchise. Both are in the west end Kipling/Dundas area. OK tire also has a car location, but I've never been there so I can't comment on them.

On any car, or just Honda's ... want to clarify that so I don't make a mistake.

It's hard to beat a Michelin radial tire.. on a Honda or otherwise.

Well this is a clusterfuck. One of the rims I got is bent in the back. My luck is that they are some very rare A4 rims. Its pretty hard to find a spare one. I drove 200km to a salvage yard that had one... it was also bent.

Carcone straightens rims. Pretty highly praised location, but how good really are straightened rims?

We use carcones all the time at work, never an issue. +1 for the guys at Kipling tire, good people with a road force balancer.

Well this is a cluster****. One of the rims I got is bent in the back. My luck is that they are some very rare A4 rims. Its pretty hard to find a spare one. I drove 200km to a salvage yard that had one... it was also bent.

Carcone straightens rims. Pretty highly praised location, but how good really are straightened rims?

If it's the wheel you posted previously I have yet to see an OEM AUDI wheel with a multi-fit bolt pattern...

I know Wheel Covers Unlimited has a restoration service as well.

But is it a good idea to restore them? I found spare rims on ebay, but it's a hassle to get them.

Back
Top Bottom