Snow tires | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

Last edited:
Had to go to the US to get Hakkapeliitta R2s for my car. All out of 255/35R19 versions in Canada and it seems Kal Tire is the only distributor. :(

^ my bald P6s were downright sad. I kept putting off installing winters with the warm weather.

Just tested out Blizzak WS80 in deep snow and unplowed roads with FWD VW and they are a dramatic improvement over the stock all seasons.

But, new winter tires for most brands typically perform well. We'll see how they do after some wear.

I was thinking about this thread recently when I confidently held my little pick up truck at 80km/hr on a marked 40km/hr ramp at well below zero c. Today I did the same ramp in a blizzard at 40km/hr. All season tires. Winter tires are better but you gotta drive like a 'tard to use them.

The VW I drive is pretty low and can get hung up or drag its undercarriage in the deep stuff. The all seasons did ok but, I had my finger ready to disengage the traction control as I was losing momentum.

The snows cut right through without any worry.

I've gotten by on all seasons many years but, I'm a convert to winter tires the last decade or longer.

I had to drive the VW with all seasons through some poor weather just until the shop was ready to do the install. So, I had a bit of a comparison back to back.

I was thinking about this thread recently when I confidently held my little pick up truck at 80km/hr on a marked 40km/hr ramp at well below zero c. Today I did the same ramp in a blizzard at 40km/hr. All season tires. Winter tires are better but you gotta drive like a 'tard to use them.

Or live/visit frequently in the snow belt. Last year I drove on All seasons during the winter. On side streets in Barrie, on icy snow, I had troubles getting car moving from parking spot. I had to rock back and forth, or shovel the ice/snow from in front of tires to get out. This year, gas and go on winter tires. Much better grip on the road too, making the trip to the slopes easier.

So far, I am liking the Blizzak WS80. We'll see about wear over time.

I drive the same way all year which generally means that those yellow signs on ramps get almost doubled.

Yes, generally the people that claim they don't need snow tires drive slow as hell whenever it snows.

Another update on the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80: After 3,000 kms of use they are getting slightly noisier. It could be my imagination, but IMO now there is noticeable noise over certain roads surfaces.

I hope the noise does not get worse. If it does, I am going back to Michelins next time.

Update on the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

The snow is here and there's no salt on the roads yet. I can tell the tires do better and better as it gets colder and colder. But this means the tire is very much a hard core snow and ice tire. Michelins were more balanced, IMHO, for a wider range of temperatures.

Another update on the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80: After 3,000 kms of use they are getting slightly noisier. It could be my imagination, but IMO now there is noticeable noise over certain roads surfaces.

I hope the noise does not get worse. If it does, I am going back to Michelins next time.

There is definitely more salt on the ground than when you first put them on in November... just sayin' ;)

Michelins have been great in snow and on Ice so far.

Michigan could use some snow tires.... and maybe driving at sane speeds in the snow

Yeah, saw that on the telly. That's the southern MI twits. The winter driving skills improve rapidly the farther North/North West you travel, just need to get out of Detroit in one piece...

All seasons have occasionally failed the "drive into slightly uphill unplowed driveway" test. Takes a lot more snow for the winter tires to have a problem.

A certain website owner's VW Golf with all-seasons failed the "unplowed cottage access road" test. My Jetta with winters got in, and back out. Only vehicle to get in and out successfully that wasn't all-wheel-drive.

I'm on my second winter with Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072's on my Tacoma 4X4.Best snowtire I've ever used.It does hurt the fuel economy tho.

Back
Top Bottom