At the gas pumps | GTAMotorcycle.com

At the gas pumps

inreb

Site Supporter
It happened again today. Nozzle in the tank, hit the trigger, slight delay, money and fuel meters start spinning but I can't feel anything thru the handle. Rolling past a $buckfifty and I finally feel that satisfying sensation of fuel gushing out the nozzle. Did I just get hosed for $buckfifty? I'm not sure. Feels like it tho. Anybody else have that feeling?

Am tempted to take a completely M/T gas can and seeing how much the money meter spins before a drop comes out.

Report it

What's wrong with reporting the station?

What's wrong with reporting the station?

I haven't confirmed that it's actually happening. I suspect it is because it feels like it is but I tend to be wrong from time to time. Need to confirm before caving in skulls.

any chance the station was low / out of gas..?
that happened to me twice.. but it didn't really ever start to flow fuel.. so at $5.. I shut is off.. and went inside to complain... the attendants immediately looked at something on the wall, said,, oh, the station is out of gas.. sorry,,, you don't have to pay for what you didn't get... lol.. so I said.. I didn't get any gas.... so they said no charge...
when i got to the next station... they told me station1 runs out of fuel all the time.. and the pumps act that way....
the second time ,, I was in USA... and when I went to the attendant.. I asked.. you out of gas... and they said ,, yup. so I said... I'm not paying what the pump says if I didn't get gas.. so he punched 0.00 into the till,, and printed it to say I paid what I was asked to pay... lol... so i had a receipt and didn't get busted for pump and run

Roomie - looks like there could be a set up/calibration issue with pumps in general.

meester jamie - were you thinking that's a scam....customer complains, they have a ready answer?

This is one reason why I generally wait until my truck is damn near empty and I fill it up. That way I have a ballpark idea of how much fuel should have gone in and can cross reference it against what the pump says. If it filled over 60L something is up.

I e noticed the same result at more than one. That said I only use shell or esso. Definitely never had what you're having happen.

I e noticed the same result at more than one. That said I only use shell or esso. Definitely never had what you're having happen.

Ok. Thing is, when pumping fuel I'm usually thinking of more weighty matters or pressing personal concerns/girl watching so by the time I sense something's amiss it's too late to verify. That's going to change. Will report findings here.

Roomie - looks like there could be a set up/calibration issue with pumps in general.

meester jamie - were you thinking that's a scam....customer complains, they have a ready answer?

Well,, I just assumed it was the pumps cavitation, it would pump air, then gas, then air.. and eventually just nothing... but I wondered why the $$ would ring up without fuel flow... as I also assumed there was a flow meter,, like the old pumps with the spinner in the glass bulb..
as for customer complaining.. well.. they put signs on all the pumps as I was leaving... out of order... and the other station confirmed , so I assumed I was being told the truth..
lol
but assuming is what a con artist wants me to do... soooooo.... I don't know who to believe any more.. it is a conspiracy to get at my money!!

on the calibration... twice [different stations] I knew I was almost out of gas.. just made it to a station... and put in 68 L ... in a tank I had measured to confirm it was 60 L... and the hose is only about 10in long,, so it might hold a liter..
that is greater than 10 percent error,,, and unacceptable... but I just didn't have the time or effort to contact measurement canada..
this was recently too.. with electronic pumps... I know there was tricks they did to the mechanical pumps to screw the customer.. but usually not self serve stations..

one thing measurement canada found in the fishing industry... the weigh scale was near the dock.. the display was at the scale house... so they would use 2way radio's to indicate they had put XX kilo on the scale... and they found the scale would read accurate ... until the radio was transmitting... so the scale house could key a 2way radio ,, and it would read 1000 kg lower...... good for the buyer! not the fisherman selling his catch! ... I am sure they have ensured this has been fixed...

suggestion,,, carry a 1 liter bottle with you.. fill the bottle,, compare the readings.. dump the bottle in the tank,, keep filling.. I just figure that is extreme to worry about a few bucks once in a while..

I give up taking beer bottles back to the beer store ... those clerks always short change me!

I take it as a challenge at the corner store... that clerk tries to forget about the $5 bill when giving the change for a $20... almost always I have to say... hmm,, I gave you a 20,, she says... no no,, it was a 10... then I say.... hmm,, then you gave me too much change... lol..... one day... she didn't have a 10 in the till... bah hahahaha... so,, where is the 10 i gave you???

scams everywhere!

I want to take my little jerry gas can totally empty and see how much the money meter moves before I get a drop of gas comes out. Then take gas can inside and say "da fuq??"

Then take gas can inside and say "da fuq??"
misc-jackie-chan-l.png

Well,, I just assumed it was the pumps cavitation, it would pump air, then gas, then air.. and eventually just nothing... but I wondered why the $$ would ring up without fuel flow... as I also assumed there was a flow meter,, like the old pumps with the spinner in the glass bulb..
as for customer complaining.. well.. they put signs on all the pumps as I was leaving... out of order... and the other station confirmed , so I assumed I was being told the truth..
lol
but assuming is what a con artist wants me to do... soooooo.... I don't know who to believe any more.. it is a conspiracy to get at my money!!

on the calibration... twice [different stations] I knew I was almost out of gas.. just made it to a station... and put in 68 L ... in a tank I had measured to confirm it was 60 L... and the hose is only about 10in long,, so it might hold a liter..
that is greater than 10 percent error,,, and unacceptable... but I just didn't have the time or effort to contact measurement canada..
this was recently too.. with electronic pumps... I know there was tricks they did to the mechanical pumps to screw the customer.. but usually not self serve stations..

one thing measurement canada found in the fishing industry... the weigh scale was near the dock.. the display was at the scale house... so they would use 2way radio's to indicate they had put XX kilo on the scale... and they found the scale would read accurate ... until the radio was transmitting... so the scale house could key a 2way radio ,, and it would read 1000 kg lower...... good for the buyer! not the fisherman selling his catch! ... I am sure they have ensured this has been fixed...

Gas volume is calibrated to 15 degrees C IIRC, if the temperature is different than that, they compensate in the pump (so you could pump 60L of fuel at a higher energy density so they charge you for 68 ). Not saying this is what happened, but it could account for some of the error.

Back
Top Bottom