M1 Exit Course (Learn to Ride - Humber North Campus) Done... Now what? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Exit Course (Learn to Ride - Humber North Campus) Done... Now what?

seanguy

Morning all,

Just passed the M1 Exit course at Humber this past weekend. It was an amazing course, highly recommend for any prospective (no experience) riders to people looking to refresh the basics from some time away. Such a diverse group all weekend, most with no experience (myself included) - came out feeling great! (zero out of 11 - perfect score!) Amazing group - hopefully I will see some of them again next spring.

Taking the course so late in the year, however, has left me with some questions for how to stay sharp and start on the best foot in the new year.

My plan is to buy in the fall/ winter to take advantage of some deals to be had. When it comes to starting up next year on the roads, how do you suggest is the best way to build/ maintain the confidence that was inspired by the safety course?

I figure parking lot for a little bit with the new bike to refresh my touch, etc. After that?

Small roads/ suburbs? I want to give myself the best chance to learn and continue to build confidence so I don't ruin the hobby for myself by being a bonehead.

Cheers all - and if anyone here took the course this past weekend shoot me a PM!

Yes parking lot---but more than a little. I took the M1 exit when I had a scooter, bought motorcycle the following year and needed several hours in parking lots. I did much of what was in the course: figure 8s; swerves; braking; etc. But as I didn't get up to third gear in the course I took some time to go 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and so on until I was comfortable shifting and knew I could do it on the road without too much thought. I will be honest, it gets boring. But it is very, very helpful.

I then stuck to familiar residential roads, first with a route thought out then just roaming quiet streets. When I was very comfortable, and itching to get out on the open road, I ventured on to highways and busier streets.

About 6 weeks in I went on a group ride with RTI. We started in a parking lot--more circles--then headed out for many hours in city and country, getting feedback every so often from the instructor. I was lucky in that I was the only student so it was very valuable, and very enjoyable. It cost a couple hundred dollars though, but for a full day of one on one instruction that's good value.

All of the above was in the context of being a bit older (in my 40s) so things don't come as naturally as they used to, and I have an increased awareness of danger.

You can also read good books in the winter such as Proficient Motorcycling by Hough.

Great tips, thank you! I will definitely be picking up that book. I am currently watching ride like a pro and twist of the wrist II - both are great if you haven't seen them already.

I would try to ride by myself for the first while. Being in a group is a complete change of riding environment. Not only will you have to ride your bike but you will have to be aware of those in your group around you. It does complicate things for you and can be very distracting. Most of the dumb things that I've seen in my time on a bike (since about 1971) have taken place in group rides.

Pops

I would try to ride by myself for the first while. Being in a group is a complete change of riding environment. Not only will you have to ride your bike but you will have to be aware of those in your group around you. It does complicate things for you and can be very distracting. Most of the dumb things that I've seen in my time on a bike (since about 1971) have taken place in group rides.

Pops

Thanks that is a good tip. Mob mentality and all that stuff, I can definitely see how that would be true.

Going to checkout a CB500F tomorrow. Price is right, low mileage, etc. very excited.

Back
Top Bottom