Clip-Ons positioning for track use | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clip-Ons positioning for track use

BenA

How high or low, open or closed do you want to setup your clip-ons for expert level track riding?
I never paid any attention to how high or low, open or closed i would want them, and i'm trying to sort out the benefits of either or.
I have been using stock setup on my R6 so far and have a new set of clip-ons on the way.

tnx,
Ben

when you reach expert level of riding, youll know. untill then, just use whats comfy. Everyone is different. everyone!

Last edited:
What he said ^. whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

....and doesn't have the bars, the controls or your hands making contact with the tank or the fairing at any steering angle. On some bikes that actually leaves a pretty limited range of adjustment.

The other guys are right, it's a very personal, comfort and control related question. I can tell you what position I like (woo!). I have my brake and clutch levers angled down quite far to help keep my wrists straight. The bars I like them turned out, again to try to keep my wrists a bit straighter. You have to be careful that your brake lever doesn't hit the fairing at full lock when turned left or you might end up tossing your bike in the pits or if a tank slapper starts it might end in spectacular fashion!

Whatever position is comfortable and doesn't hit fairing/tank.

One thing I saw carboncat do on his bike that is a good idea is to mark the position of your clipons, fork tubes, etc. with some dabs of white paint so you can visually see if they get knocked out of place in a crash.

Good point, great idea. I marked mine on the SV with marker. The ZX clipons are actually in a good position for me the way they are, which is great.

Don't listen to any of those nitwits. You want 18 degrees back and 3 degrees down. Do it now or you'll crash.

One thing I will add is that I've never seen a clip on that wasn't butted against the top triple clamp.

On my SV they were 10mm below the triple, but that bike was too tall in the front.

Examining my pics, I see that I hold my hands on the outer side of the grips, so I'm assuming I'll need a little longer and more open then stock setup.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413892524.516318.jpg

And since I spend most of the time with my chest on the tank, maybe I should lower them a little. It is currently 5mm under the triples.

I guess I'll try diff setups and make changes on the track, to find the best setup.

Tnx...

^ Sharp looking bike!

Stock handlebars? If you replace them with any aftermarket bars (woodcraft, vortex, etc) you can easily install longer bars and position your controls a little further outward.

How high or low, open or closed do you want to setup your clip-ons for expert level track riding?
I never paid any attention to how high or low, open or closed i would want them, and i'm trying to sort out the benefits of either or.
I have been using stock setup on my R6 so far and have a new set of clip-ons on the way.

tnx,
Ben

MY GOD MAN! The R6 clipons are plenty low and aggressive! You want more aggressive than that?!:(

MY GOD MAN! The R6 clipons are plenty low and aggressive! You want more aggressive than that?!:(

"Aggressive"

Define that in this case?

Anyway there are several reasons you change the position of the clip ons for racing

Examining my pics, I see that I hold my hands on the outer side of the grips, so I'm assuming I'll need a little longer and more open then stock setup.
View attachment 35970

And since I spend most of the time with my chest on the tank, maybe I should lower them a little. It is currently 5mm under the triples.

I guess I'll try diff setups and make changes on the track, to find the best setup.

Tnx...
Holding the end of the bar isn't an error that needs fixing, I do it and I've seen MotoGP riders that do as well. (until you get a blister in your palm, that is)
I think you'll find that there's little to gain and a lot of comfort to lose, but you should try a few things to learn what difference it makes and what you like best.

Back
Top Bottom