Chain and sprocket kit for gsxr | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain and sprocket kit for gsxr

Kramminn

After having my bike looked at by Frekeguy I was advices I have the wrong type of chain on my bike and need to change it a suitable chain for my bike. Also there is a 8th of slack in the chain.

This is my first bike so I don't very much about this stuff. Is there a kit any of you can recommend. What makes one chain better then another. I hear doing a 520 conversion is what everyone is doing. Not sure why, I hear it gets more torque at lower rpm and is more responsive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also in the gta area if anyone can recommend a shop to get the kit from..

After having my bike looked at by Frekeguy I was advices I have the wrong type of chain on my bike and need to change it a suitable chain for my bike. Also there is a 8th of slack in the chain.

This is my first bike so I don't very much about this stuff. Is there a kit any of you can recommend. What makes one chain better then another. I hear doing a 520 conversion is what everyone is doing. Not sure why, I hear it gets more torque at lower rpm and is more responsive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also in the gta area if anyone can recommend a shop to get the kit from..

call snow city, get a -/+ 1 520 DID

call snow city, get a -/+ 1 520 DID
Negative.

Call Tony @ Bluestreak Racing, he'll hook it up. Or if you want it right away, go visit Rider's Choice in Mississauga.

520 refers to the distance between the pins/barrels. It will not affect anything if you just go from a 525 to a 520 pitch other than losing a few ounces and I doubt that matters.
What makes the bike more responsive/torquey is changing the gearing, which means changing the tooth count on your sprockets. To achieve this people either reduce the teeth on the front sprocket, increase the teeth on the rear sprocket or both.

I went with -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear on my 750 and it made a noticeable difference, by far the best bang for the buck modification.

Changing the gearing will throw off your speedometer so look into a speedohealer, I have a SpeedoDRD and it works well. Easy to install, program and quite accurate.

Good luck.

Negative.

Call Tony @ Bluestreak Racing, he'll hook it up. Or if you want it right away, go visit Rider's Choice in Mississauga.

520 refers to the distance between the pins/barrels. It will not affect anything if you just go from a 525 to a 520 pitch other than losing a few ounces and I doubt that matters.
What makes the bike more responsive/torquey is changing the gearing, which means changing the tooth count on your sprockets. To achieve this people either reduce the teeth on the front sprocket, increase the teeth on the rear sprocket or both.

I went with -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear on my 750 and it made a noticeable difference, by far the best bang for the buck modification.

Changing the gearing will throw off your speedometer so look into a speedohealer, I have a SpeedoDRD and it works well. Easy to install, program and quite accurate.

Good luck.

if your looking to save some money go with snow city.

Negative.

Good luck.

It may fit but that dont make it right

Along with different pitch, the roller widths generally get a little wider with the change in pitch also. So in alot of cases running a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket will have more side to side play, but yeah it will fit.

Here you can see 520/525 have same pitch (distance between rollers) but the 525 is a wider chain with wider rollers....

Chain
size / type Chain pitch mm Roller Width (E)
mm Chain pitch inch Roller Width (E) inch
415 12.7 4.76 1/2 3/16
420 12.7 6.35 1/2 1/4
428 12.7 7.94 1/2 5/16
520 15.875 6.35 5/8 1/4
525 15.875 7.94 5/8 5/16
530 15.875 9.53 5/8 3/8
532 15.875 9.53 5/8 3/8
630 19.05 9.53 3/4 3/8

520 is generally cheaper, and depending on the size of the bike anything bigger is not required. So there is a balance there between life and cost, as bigger chains and sprockets cost more, but should last slightly longer

Sorry I read your post wrong I thought you were saying you could run 520 on 525 sprockets and vise versa

Last edited:
It is apparent that the original poster doesn't know much about his bike. Why don't you get Frekeyguy to order and install the right parts for you? Having seen what you have on your bike, he is in a much better position to know exactly what needs changing than the rest of us are.

For a "first bike", and for a rider who doesn't seem technically oriented (yet?), you don't need shorter gearing for better wheelies ... just stay with stock.

This is probably what its going to result to.

I am technically oriented with cars but have no clue about bikes.

Thank you everyone for their input.

This is probably what its going to result to.

I am technically oriented with cars but have no clue about bikes.

Thank you everyone for their input.

Think of the sprockets as your differential gear ratios then. And if you have a bicycle with more than one speed it's exactly the same.

do what brian says...

Last edited:
I usually do -1 front, +1 back for brands; DID and Regina is what I usually use. Most of the time I get the kit from 4wheelonline, less hassle and cheaper that goes with my offroader and atv upgrades.

_1 +3 gearing on your GSXR is like going 3:55 to 4"10 on your Mustang.
For a streetbike, I wouldn't bother with 520. Just shortening the lifespan for unmeasurable performance gain. And I would use steel sprockets on a streetbike, again longevity, and alloy ones tend to be noisier than steel ones too.

Our racebike has been on an EK ZZZ 530 chain and OEM stock sized steel sprockets for 3 yrs....only ever needed to adjust the chain once, and the sprockets look the same now as they did 3 seasons ago.

Back
Top Bottom