Cant Start My Gixxer :( Help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cant Start My Gixxer :( Help?

Kramminn

Hey All,

So it all started yesterday.

I washed my bike in the morning and dried it off. It started no problem, left it running for a good ten minutes too. Everything went fine. Then I rode my bike to square 1 to get a hair cut and the bike started just like it always did. I parked it underground and when I got back the bike wouldn't start. I couldn't figure out why. I had to ask someone in the parking lot to give me a push start to her going. I ended up stalling it on the way home ( I know rookie move) and the bike wouldn't start again and needed to get a push to get her started.

I know its not a battery issue because when i turn the key the needle goes up and back down and the lights are on but when I got to press the ignition switch and give it gas... silence...

I haven't tried starting it since yesterday when I got back home. Could anyone think of anything issues of why she wont start?

My bikes a 2006 GSXR-600 with now 29,000 km on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I should also add which I just noticed the the CHCK is showing on the display. when the kill switch is turned off, you can hear the battery charge but the motor wont turn over.

Last edited:
Clarify this point: "but when I got to press the ignition switch and give it gas... silence..."

Do you really mean that when you press the starter button, the engine doesn't crank or rotate at all?

Is it a "doesn't crank", or is it a "cranks but doesn't fire"?

I have a funny feeling that the state of charge of your battery is high enough to make the lights and gauges operate, but not enough to start the engine.

If you can get the engine going using booster cables from a car, you need to check the charging voltage - the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should be 14.something volts.

If the charging voltage is 12-and-change, i.e. no higher than the voltage with the key switched off and possibly lower, your charging system is not working, and the number one suspect would be the voltage regulator.

If the charging voltage is OK but the engine cranks only slowly or only goes "click" and doesn't crank, your battery is probably done.

Clarify this point: "but when I got to press the ignition switch and give it gas... silence..."

Do you really mean that when you press the starter button, the engine doesn't crank or rotate at all?

Is it a "doesn't crank", or is it a "cranks but doesn't fire"?

I have a funny feeling that the state of charge of your battery is high enough to make the lights and gauges operate, but not enough to start the engine.

If you can get the engine going using booster cables from a car, you need to check the charging voltage - the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should be 14.something volts.

If the charging voltage is 12-and-change, i.e. no higher than the voltage with the key switched off and possibly lower, your charging system is not working, and the number one suspect would be the voltage regulator.

If the charging voltage is OK but the engine cranks only slowly or only goes "click" and doesn't crank, your battery is probably done.

What I mean is that when I go to press the start button it doesn't do anything.

I actually just went out to the garage and tried again and the CHCK disappeared and the bike started fine... I let it run for a a few min then turned it off and tried to start it again... Nothing... Back to where I was... Moved the bike around again, CHCK message was displayed again and would not start again.

The previous owners relocated the rectifier to the outside of the bike near the frame sliders. Could maybe this be the problem.

When it doesn't start, do you hear a click when you press the starter button?

Check your kickstand switch

Its a Suzuki so it is probably the stupid clutch switch, Suzuki's won't start unless the clutch switch is made even in neutral. Take the two wires off the clutch switch and connect them together. If this fixes it get a new clutch switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Does not sound like battery / charging system issue. Sounds more like an intermittent switch contact. Do ^that clutch switch test.

Most likely kick stand switch, seen it 100x with the gsxr kickstand switch. Since you washed the bike that points in that direction also as it's usually water and grime that makes them malfunction

Most likely kick stand switch, seen it 100x with the gsxr kickstand switch. Since you washed the bike that points in that direction also as it's usually water and grime that makes them malfunction

Awesome. I'll give thosr a try. Where is the clutch switch and the kick stand switched located?

When it doesn't start, do you hear a click when you press the starter button?

No I don't hear a click when I press the start button. It's so weird.

Alright so I figured out the problem... I think at least

I did some research and came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOH-nbOS7lQ&list=UUijcrf541uj-tuBb1IZPukg

I had my clutch on the lowest setting and the problem started when I did just that. For now its fixed and it starts fine on the 2nd setting.

I thought id post this incase anyone else has this issue.

Alright so I figured out the problem... I think at least

I did some research and came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOH-nbOS7lQ&list=UUijcrf541uj-tuBb1IZPukg

I had my clutch on the lowest setting and the problem started when I did just that. For now its fixed and it starts fine on the 2nd setting.

I thought id post this incase anyone else has this issue.

Are you sure you have the bushing installed in your aftermarket lever? I have seen many times people forget to remove the bushing from the OEM lever and install it into their aftermarket lever when they install it, or it falls out and they loose it. Without the bushing it does not operate properly and can cause what your having also. Might be adding to your problem

That would be a pretty badly designed lever if you cant use all the adjustment on it without it affecting your clutch switch operation

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smartass, but if you thought this through right at the start, and realized that the problem started right after you adjusted the clutch, look at the grief you would have saved yourself. But at least we (the forum) have all learned something, except for the guys that knew it was the clutch switch all along.

I agree it common with gixxer to have problem with their kick stand switch. Also the start button could also be the culprit due to rust and corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom