Popping clutch bake into Neutral (stalled in 1st) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Popping clutch bake into Neutral (stalled in 1st)

RainRider

I have an old bike (Honda Nighthawk 1983) and it doesn't start unless it's in Neutral. Problem is, it also sometimes hates going into Neutral if it is stationary.

On occasion, I have had the issue of it stalling in 1st (usually when I'm trying to park) and then I am stuck trying to pop it back into Neutral. It doesn't like to do this (since it's stationary then, obviously).

I have discovered a few small tricks that can make the task easier (usually involving waiting overnight, seems to work better once the bike has cooled down), but if it decides to do this when i'm parking downtown someday I'm going to be SOL.

Anyone else had experience with this? Is there a trick i'm missing?

Sounds silly, but next time try rocking the bike back and forth a little before you try shifting.
Works for me on my oldie.

Something is wrong you should be able to start that bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. Check the clutch switch and get it fixed. My 1980 nighthawk and my friends 83 would start in gear as long as the clutch was pulled

sent from a device using a program

I've had 2 bikes that does the same. Especially if I'm using dino oil. My bike does this when the temp reaches above. 104*C. Both my bikes have high mileage though.

I recommend changing it to synthetic & give it a try. Come to think about it, I need an oil change

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Most bikes will start if the trans is in neutral OR the clutch is pulled and the sidestand is up. Don't know if an 83 Nighthawk has a sidestand switch but it might be worth looking into.

If yours is only starting in neutral you should check the clutch switch (as mentioned above) and the sidestand switch (if equipped.) Both should be "closed" when the clutch is pulled and when the stand is "up."

Clutch switch needs replace to solve your not starting in neutral

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sounds silly, but next time try rocking the bike back and forth a little before you try shifting.
Works for me on my oldie.

So, clutch out, push forwards and backwards a few times, then try shifting?

To the others: Thanks, guys. I'll have to talk to my mechanic.

gentle rocking while lifting on the gear pedal, it will pop into neutral with no problem. Practice out of traffic first, you don't want to be learning new things in the middle of an intersection.

What size engine?

So, clutch out, push forwards and backwards a few times, then try shifting?
To the others: Thanks, guys. I'll have to talk to my mechanic.

Try this the next time you can't get the bike into Neutral when you are stationary.

Clutch in (since you're in 1st gear presumably)
Move bike a few inches fwd/back
Try shifting into N again.

Hopefully it's as simple as that and there isn't a mechanical problem.

/Old bike problems.

Back
Top Bottom