Niqab ban at Citizenship Ceremony | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Niqab ban at Citizenship Ceremony

What is that supposed to mean?
Btw, why are you out of Chicks with bikes thread?

Couple things come to mind, in keeping with thread theme perhaps guy in gif should be kneecapped (when in Romania do as the Romanians do) and there's a chicks with bikes thread? I bet I haven't posted there yet. Will correct this oversight soon.

I agree that if you are in Canada and our law contradicts your religious beliefs, you should have never moved to Canada. Pretty arrogant to take the advantages of living here and try to change the country to suit the things you don't agree with, take the good and the bad.

I agree that if you are in Canada and our law contradicts your religious beliefs, you should have never moved to Canada. Pretty arrogant to take the advantages of living here and try to change the country to suit the things you don't agree with, take the good and the bad.

Exactly, people leave their ****** countries to come here, then try to bring the same bs they left form here...

Don't like it go back home.

For the record im an immigrant myself ;)

Couple things come to mind, in keeping with thread theme perhaps guy in gif should be kneecapped (when in Romania do as the Romanians do) and there's a chicks with bikes thread? I bet I haven't posted there yet. Will correct this oversight soon.

It's about equality right? If you gonna protest they can't discriminate against you when a beat down comes...

this came in my email recently, does it suit this thread...

Excellent letter!! Keep it going..

Congratulations to our fellow Canadians in Quebec who had the courage and
conviction to exhibit their common sense in officially banning the hijab for
certain transactions where identity is mandatory. It's a start. It's a
privilege to be allowed to immigrate and to live in this country - not a
right. When this hit the e-news a few weeks ago, there was overwhelming
support by the readers who AGREED with Quebec's action.

The letter below says it all. Keep it going.

A Letter to the Editor (excellent letter)!!!

So many letter writers have explained how this land is made up of
immigrants. Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to
people why today's Canadian is not willing to accept the new kind of
immigrant any longer.

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to
Canada, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in Halifax and
be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss
the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new
country in good and bad times. They made learning
English a primary rule in their new Canadian households and some even
changed their names to blend in with their new home. They had waved good bye
to their birth place to give their children a new and better life and did
everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one
culture.

Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labour laws to
protect them. All they had were the skills, craftsmanship and desire they
had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. Canadians
fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany,
Italy, France, Japan, China, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Sweden, Poland and so
many other places. None of these first generation Canadians ever gave any
thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Canadians
fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the
Freedom as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages
was looking for the Ukrainian-Canadian or the German-Canadian or the
Irish-Canadian. The people of France saw only Canadians.

And we carried one flag that represented Our Country. Not one of those
immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag
and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to
their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly
knew what it meant to be a Canadian. They stirred the melting pot into one
red and white bowl.

And here we are in 2013 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same
rights and privileges, only they want to achieve it by playing with a
different set of rules - one that includes a Canadian passport and a
guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not
what being a Canadian is all about. Canadians have been very open-hearted
and open-minded regarding immigrants, whether they were fleeing poverty,
dictatorship, persecution, or what ever else makes us think of those
aforementioned immigrants who truly did ADOPT our country, our flag, our
morals and our customs, and left their wars, hatred, and divisions behind. I
believe that the immigrants who landed in Canada in the early 1900s deserve
better than that for the toil, hard work and sacrifice of those legally
searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are
being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags, fighting
foreign battles on our soil, making Canadians change to suit their religions
and cultures, and wanting to change our countries fabric by claiming
discrimination when we do not give in to their demands.

Its about time we get real and stand up for our forefathers rights.We are
CANADIAN. I am a Native of this Country and proud of it!

NO MORE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

Last edited:
Any religion I looked at had some form of sacrifice. Baptists couldn't drink or serve alcohol for example. Catholics gave up things for Lent and had to follow the Pope's instructions. Jews couldn't eat pork. (I could live without ham but not bacon)

If I wanted to be a baptist and was offered a million dollars a year to run the LCBO I would have to turn the job down and work at Walmart.

That is what commitment to your religion means. If I chose a religion that said I had to evangelize in a country where doing so meant the likelihood of being stoned to death I would have to accept it or forgo my faith.

If my religion said I couldn't look at scantily clad buxom women and the law of the land said it was legal for women to be scantily clad I would have to wear a blindfold when walking Wasaga Beach or stroll at midnight on a cloudy night.

If the law says Photo ID required then the photo has to match the person not the set of drapes in front of their face.

Maybe a Catholic can confirm but some Nuns have similar strict rules and they meet their commitments by entering a convent and never coming out. You have the right to build a wall around yourself but not around me.

You can't have it both ways. The laws that give you rights also give me rights.

As an immigrant myself, I didn't choose to come here, I was a kid, but I'm glad I did and wholly embrace being Canadian. I applause for Quebec as well...at least for this issue. Interesting that the province that wants to leave is the one upholding some of it's standards. Religious freedom should be kept separate from the state. i.e wear your hijab all you want, but where ID or whatever is required be prepared to remove it. If you have a problem with not being covered up....don't go to the beach and complain that the women are in bikinis.

In the reverse....what are the chances a woman can freely stroll down the street in a crop top and booty shorts in say, Iraq or similar?

Last edited:
I'm also an immigrant who came to this country not by choice, but because my parents brought me when I was 9 years old.

Best decision they could've made for us at the time, and I'm glad they did at a huge burden for them to start fresh. They left their entire families behind, jobs, property, and everything they had to come here.

I'm all for people keeping their religion, traditions, customs alive and well as it brings diversity which makes this country strong. HOWEVER...I am also of the belief that once these traditions, customs, and religious beliefs clash with the fabric that comes with being a Canadian you must decide which is more important to you, and either accept the CANADIAN version, or go back home as clearly that is more important to you.

One of the things I disagree within Canada is that people can go 10, 20, 30 years without a need to learn English...that's ******** in my opinion because they are no longer in their homeland and they came here and should integrate with the country. You elected to come to this country, which means that in some way you wanted out of your own land for whatever reason. We cannot keep pandering to each and every nationality that comes here....MERRY CHRISTMAS being a perfect example.

One of the things I disagree within Canada is that people can go 10, 20, 30 years without a need to learn English...that's ******** in my opinion because they are no longer in their homeland and they came here and should integrate with the country.

I fully agree except I don't. I came here at age seven(7) when my father was forty six(46). He is now 94, and after a full working life and doing all the normal things can barely understand or speak English. I know if I move to another country now I would never pick up the language unless it was Ireland or maybe Scotland. How do I know this? Because I lost my native language very quickly despite others with same experience did not.

I fully agree except I don't. I came here at age seven(7) when my father was forty six(46). He is now 94, and after a full working life and doing all the normal things can barely understand or speak English. I know if I move to another country now I would never pick up the language unless it was Ireland or maybe Scotland. How do I know this? Because I lost my native language very quickly despite others with same experience did not.

My dad was about the same age when we came to Canada, he can understand and speak English just fine. Did your dad have a job which required him to communicate in the English language during those 50 years?

All 4 of us came here without a word of English in our vocabulary...yes it took a long time for my parents to learn English but they did. They can communicate just fine in English, with an accent of course. Around the home it's always been Polish for us. I am fully bi-lingual in both English and Polish and I credit my parents for that as I'm glad that I can still communicate in my native tongue.

As for my statement, as I said I don't agree with people living here their entire life without learning English (or French) as that is the common language in Canada. To me it shows a lack of respect for the country you chose to make your home, similar to crying foul when the country you move to won't bend on your wishes to respect YOUR culture.

Keep your language for tradition and culture if you want, but learn the language of your new 'home' otherwise it just seems like a temporary place to visit IMHO.

I guess my point is that it's not within everybodys' grasp. A lot of times all I see is lips moving and hear noise. That's not conducive to learning a new language. If somebody willfully refuses to learn, that's another thing and probably what you're referring to. My father worked for 19 yrs. to 65 at a factory production job which might have been beneath him but after POW in Russia and 8 kids he kind of boxed himself in. He should have been in a trade. He built 2 houses with his bare hands.

Getting back to the thread topic, wearing a niqab at the citizenship ceremony, I have to point out that the niqab isn't necessarily a mandatory part of the Islam; it a choice of clothing. A woman who chooses to wear a niqab isn't any more "Islamic" than a woman who chooses not to. While the choice to wear the niqab is condoned within some sects of Islam, the headwear isn't mandatory.

On that fact alone, lawyers for the woman involved would first have to prove the headwear is a mandatory and crucial part of the religion (it isn't) in order to argue that taking it off would countervene her rights as a Canadian citizen (which she isn't yet).

I'm fairly liberal about religion and don't care if you worship pasta (see Flying Spaguetti Monster) as long as you don't impose any of that on me. But, if you want in as a citizen you need to prove you are willing to say the oath in the presence of others. I can't see how one can do that from behind a mask. After the oath, wear whatever floats your boat.

FSM's official headgear: upside down spaghetti strainer. Awesome.

Getting back to the thread topic, wearing a niqab at the citizenship ceremony, I have to point out that the niqab isn't necessarily a mandatory part of the Islam; it a choice of clothing.

Oops ya sorry about that. Good information in your post. It doesn't appear she has a leg to stand on. Crazy bish.

That she wants to wear her niqab at the ceremony doesn't really bother me. What DOES bother me is a how a new immigrant has the financial ability to take this to court. I think others may have spoken/written about it previously, but I think certain people in Canada within Islam were spoiling for a fight to legitimize the more "extreme" version of Islam so they can use it against others.

For example, most within the Islam religion know the niqab isn't part of the religion; it is just a way to further marginalize women. However, if this lawsuit is successful, the more "extreme", and dare we say intolerant, parts of Islam will use the victory to further push for more women to be vailed after having somehow proved it is an important part of that religion. It's a slippery slope because the next step will be to push for legitimacy of Sharia law within Canada. The lawsuit over the niqab is just a trojan horse.

That she wants to wear her niqab at the ceremony doesn't really bother me. What DOES bother me is a how a new immigrant has the financial ability to take this to court. I think others may have spoken/written about it previously, but I think certain people in Canada within Islam were spoiling for a fight to legitimize the more "extreme" version of Islam so they can use it against others.

For example, most within the Islam religion know the niqab isn't part of the religion; it is just a way to further marginalize women. However, if this lawsuit is successful, the more "extreme", and dare we say intolerant, parts of Islam will use the victory to further push for more women to be vailed after having somehow proved it is an important part of that religion. It's a slippery slope because the next step will be to push for legitimacy of Sharia law within Canada. The lawsuit over the niqab is just a trojan horse.

Most religions end up with leaders that misquote their religious texts. The tea totalling Christians ban the consumption of alcohol but I don't recall the Bible banning it. What is condemned is the abuse of the stuff. It seems that we all need an outlet for one form of hate or another.

There's good money in stirring up hate. Get a bunch of people riled up and tell them you need their money to help fight the devil.

Back
Top Bottom