Unable to change ownership on a Alberta v-rod 650 with rebuilt title | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unable to change ownership on a Alberta v-rod 650 with rebuilt title

TNrider

I recently bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 from a guy who had it registered in Alberta. It has a Re-built title. I went to the ministry to transfer it to my name and they initially asked me to do a Structural Safety but later found out that the bike is deemed "irreparable" in their system. Even though it has a "rebuilt" title, apparently there's NO way I can transfer ownership here in Ontario.
Has anybody faced a similar scenario? Is there a way to put it on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nope send it back to Alberta as it is not road legal in Ontario. Rebuilt motorcycles are not able to be plated in Ontario. You are not the first to have this issue.

sent from a device using a program

Exactly what that guy said ,pretty much buy a clean frame and transfer everything to it, hopefully you can do the work yourself because a shop would probably charge like 7-10 hours to do so would be my guess

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Start with the frame of another bike of the same model which has a clean title. Disassemble your bike and swap everything over to the good frame. Register the complete bike using the VIN of the frame that has the clean title and which is now within your freshly reassembled bike.

Depending on what the bike is worth, it may not be a worthwhile exercise, compared to selling it complete as-is in another province.

Start with the frame of another bike of the same model which has a clean title. Disassemble your bike and swap everything over to the good frame. Register the complete bike using the VIN of the frame that has the clean title and which is now within your freshly reassembled bike.

Depending on what the bike is worth, it may not be a worthwhile exercise, compared to selling it complete as-is in another province.

What Brian said. Because the bike has been registered as 'rebuilt' in another Province you will be unable to simply buy a new frame from the manufacturer, as these are VIN-less and use the bike's original VIN. You will need a frame with a clean VIN as a donor. Ontario only has two states for motorcycles; clean and written off.

Thanks luffy
I called sonic, turns out the bike they are selling is only for parts other than the frame. It does not have a clean title, I guess that's why they are selling it for parts.
Appreciate the links.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I've spoken to several people @ the MTO; branding, licensing and a whole lot other people. I was asked to write to "special enquiry" as a final try. Have written to them, let's see what they say.
In regards to frame swap it's gonna cost me at least $2K to do it so that's not really an option for me.

Back
Top Bottom