Non-Toxic way to clean the grease/grime off my chain/rear wheel | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Non-Toxic way to clean the grease/grime off my chain/rear wheel

I use "Super Clean industrial strength degreaser".
I mix it with water and brush my chain, then wash off with water. I do it my condo parking spot, no complaints and no damage so far. Bottle claims it's non-abrasive and phosphate free.

Isn't the grime itself sort of toxic? It's basically a putty of whatever ended up on the road: salts, rubber dust, oil, tar, fuel, coolant, brake fluid.

News footage of the day showed workers cleaning critters right on the beach. I think. Be that as it may, don't most people use dish soap to clean dishes? It all goes down the drain. Is the OP going to do the whole haz mat deal? I think we're trying to keep mineral spirits and the like out of the water treatment loop.

We started doing Storm Water training at work. Outside drains are storm water systems, inside are sanitary water systems, is what the training is saying.
Becoming an issue with MOL, you might start seeing more drains painted yellow in parking lots.

We started doing Storm Water training at work. Outside drains are storm water systems, inside are sanitary water systems, is what the training is saying.
Becoming an issue with MOL, you might start seeing more drains painted yellow in parking lots.

Thanks Tips:glasses6: Is there no place for the workaday joe to dump chemicals no mo'? What is this country coming to?

the light mist or kerosene
add in spray bottle

yes, let the pledge site for 2 minutes or longer then come back and wipe it off

"the light mist or kerosene" is that one smooth move or the two pronged attack?

I use kerosene - applied from small spray bottle, and work it in with cheap plastic-bristle brushes.
I place rags under the chain/wheel so it catches all the over-spray and gunk that falls off... I drop-off rags and all other toxic stuff at community recycling events - once or twice a year, they hold free recycle programs, so I bring all my used oil/filters/coolant and even old batteries and electronics... It is 100% free but I always make donation, it's a great program.

Since wax/chain lube is already toxic, I'm minimizing the impact, imo...

Spray 9 is the best degreaser I've ever used and its safe for the environment. I have white rims and they are clean clean

The cheap "As Seen on TV" car wax called Liquid Lustre. Can be had at CDN Tire etc.
Wipe onto greasy grimy wheel. Rub and wipe off. Cleans off existing mess, and leaves waxed finish to ease the wiping off of grime for next time as well.

Recently read somewhere that Simple Green will clean off the front sprocket goo so should work for the rear wheel.

Personally, I just use Pledge now and then. Cleans off the junk and leaves a kind of waxy/oily layer that helps make it easier to wipe off next time.

Back
Top Bottom