401, gridlock, decent weather: which is safer? filter between lanes, or on a shoulder | GTAMotorcycle.com

401, gridlock, decent weather: which is safer? filter between lanes, or on a shoulder

401 lane filtering

• Left shoulder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right shoulder

• between lanes

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSRP

Hi folks,

Not really debating the legality of it. Say you're still alert and not fatigued, but are 5 hours into a return trip back to the GTA core.
You are going to filter, but which is the safest 'lane' or shoulder to filter?

I'm still pretty "green", only about 7k's in my first season, but a significant portion of that is on broken pavement up north on a street bike, so pavement is like a waterbed for me arse.

My bike has a loud exhaust and I imagine it's throwing up some decent DB's at 20km/h in first gear--probably not all that pleasant for a car with windows down.

I ask because I was filtering no more than 15-20km/h through traffic that was at a crawl, in high-viz gear, about a month back on my return trip from Ottawa, approaching Durham. The first 10 minutes went by without much issues or scowl from other cars, but the next 10 minutes was quite a big change. Perhaps people were increasingly agitgated from being stuck for some time, but at least 5 cars that saw me on approach would throw up their hands/flip the bird and 2 drivers even closed off the lane (which I simply switched lanes from).

I stopped splitting shortly after as my nerves were jacked way up, and while I wasn't red with anger, my arms and legs were shaking due to (adrenaline?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom