Some track exploring next week (Oct 20 to 27)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Some track exploring next week (Oct 20 to 27)?

Motorcycle Mike

I have another week off next week, and am planning on doing some exploration of some tracks I have if any one wants to join.

These tracks might be muddy, at least one water crossing, etc, so a bike with true knobbies is recommended, although a talented rider could possibly do it on less than aggressive tires depending on how muddy it gets. I did the water crossing on Sunday on my V-strom with Shinko 705s, so it is nothing serious, but is fun. I'd ride my DRZ though.

The route, although nothing is set... just following some tracks I have... would be mostly gravel if we can find it and would be somewhere between Orangeville to Creemore, maybe over to Fergus area, and finally a look at an area I know near Acton/Georgetown, so a few hundred kms, pavement, gravel, and some mud and unopened road allowances.

Pace: I would like to check out some of these areas in more detail, so I don't mind taking my time and going slow. The people I rode with when I was introduced to them knew the areas, so they took them in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have no issue taking them in first and taking time to stop here and there.

Anyone up for it? I am thinking Thursday or Friday of next week depending on how the weather works out.

This makes me want a dirt bike (or even a dual sport at the least ) soooo bad ..one day..

post pics if you can so I can remain infinitely jealous and have more incentive to add my pennies to the piggy bank :)

I do want to go on these rides with you Diesel, however I don't feel like my CB500X is ready for that yet. Still need some TKC's and a skidplate and some more dirt experience before I join you. I love that you're exploring Ontario though which is exactly what I want to do as well.

Hey Diesel, is that water crossing on the way to Creemore flanked by 2 up/down-hills (the north side being steeper maybe 40-50 feet, south less so but washed out right by the water), north of 89?

Last edited:
Hey Diesel, is that water crossing on the way to Creemore flanked by 2 up/down-hills (the north side being steeper maybe 40-50 feet, south less so but washed out right by the water), north of 89?

No, this is a very easy one -- close to Fergus. All of the gravel roads in this one area had signs saying 'Road Closed, Bridge Out'. I rode down one of them, and sure enough the bridge was an ancient wood and iron bridge that was falling apart. There was, however, a path through the river with lots of horse and buggy tracks -- so the Amish use it instead of going the long way around.

I went through on my Vstrom, and the base was fairly solid, not muddy. It really is nothing to sneeze at, but might be good practice for someone who has never done a water crossing before.

Anyone up for a mostly gravel run on Thursday heading East?

I downloaded the Bethany tracks the other day and I intend to investigate the 'Big bike run' on my Vstrom, so I will not be doing anything more than gravel. Supernam, you wouldn't need any dirt experience or a skidplate to do what I'm planning.

I am interested in Thursday, only 13 deg c high but I've ridden in -20 so it's not a problem for me. I'm located in Scarborough and I have the day off also so let me know what time you plan on heading out.

If anyone else is up for a gravel run tomorrow, we are leaving from the Sheppard and Morningside Tim Hortons at 11am.

I don't know the route that I plan to follow... just a track I got from ODSC that goes around Rice Lake and back, so it will be more exploring rather than I know where I am going. We will also be on heavy bikes (I'm taking the Vstrom) with non-aggressive tires, so if the route appears too much for these bikes (i.e, muddy, sandy, etc) then we will be bypassing that section.

If anyone else is up for a gravel run tomorrow, we are leaving from the Sheppard and Morningside Tim Hortons at 11am.

I don't know the route that I plan to follow... just a track I got from ODSC that goes around Rice Lake and back, so it will be more exploring rather than I know where I am going. We will also be on heavy bikes (I'm taking the Vstrom) with non-aggressive tires, so if the route appears too much for these bikes (i.e, muddy, sandy, etc) then we will be bypassing that section.

Great ride today! Finally got my first taste of dirt/mud/sand on the CB500X. Thanks Diesel for letting me tag along this route.

Anything planned for Friday? ;)

I might be heading to GP Bikes in the morning to buy some gear. After that... who knows!?

Anything planned for Friday? ;)

I might be heading to GP Bikes in the morning to buy some gear. After that... who knows!?

Yep, and I don't leave too early on these cold mornings... probably leaving around 11 and just going for a 4 or 5 hour tour. You're welcome to join -- I'll be taking the DRZ this time and heading North (from Mississauga) first, then loop to the West and back.

Back
Top Bottom