New Car Seatbelt Warning Beep QUESTION | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Car Seatbelt Warning Beep QUESTION

Apollo95

Site Supporter
Hello All,

I am buying a new car, and am requesting that when they set up the computer on the car that they shut off the seatbelt warning reminder beeping/sound.

I am being told that it is against the law. However, I know others who have it done on their new cars before leaving the dealership.

I would like some advice on the subject.

Would really like to have the seatbelt beep turned off.

I always wear my set belt. Please no responses on safety and seatebelts etc.
Sometimes when moving the car around parking/driveway, or doing maintenance etc. or putting belt on while moving the sound gets annoying. that is the reason I want the sound eliminated.

Isn't there a beeper speaker? At work we take butyl gasket and jam it in the speaker of the man lifts.

how do you know where the speaker is??

and i haven't received the new car yet. gonna pick it up next week.

Also,

Is it actually against the law for dealership to turn it off for me? it's so much cleaner and better to have them do it, cuz they know what they're doing. and most likely can do it with computer.

I agree some new cars are very annoying in this respect. My 2004 beeps eventually but I usually have time to get out of the parking lot or wherever before it reminds me

Omgsh I have the same issue with a 05 kia spectramy dad just bought. Im thinking there has to be a fuse somewhereyou can pull.

Its almost annoying as cars that beep when you go over 120...

The dealer is correct. The vehicle must be in compliance with Canadian motor vehicle safety standards at the time of delivery to the customer (you), and that seat belt warning system is part of the vehicle's compliance. So, legally, they are not allowed to disable it. That doesn't stop some people from doing it anyhow.

Unplugging speakers etc generally doesn't work any more; there is no dedicated speaker for the seat belt beeper. Some vehicles use the stereo speakers. Others have a dedicated speaker but they will use that for ALL the sounds the car has to make, including headlights left on, key left in ignition switch, parking brake left on while driving, oil pressure low, coolant temperature high, etc., and also the turn signal clicker (which is never a clicking relay any more - it comes through a speaker).

Frequently the seat belt warning system is enabled/disabled by a logic bit somewhere buried in the vehicle's controllers, and access to that bit requires software that interfaces with the on-board diagnostics. A simple code scanner is not going to cut it. If it is a VW/Audi product, you need either the official VAG scan tool or the aftermarket VAG-COM. If it is a Mercedes product, you need the STAR interface system that the dealer service department has. I don't know about others. Some manufacturers may make that bit "non-disableable".

Post up vehicle make-model-year, perhaps someone knows how to do it.

Omgsh I have the same issue with a 05 kia spectramy dad just bought. Im thinking there has to be a fuse somewhereyou can pull.

Its almost annoying as cars that beep when you go over 120...

Not that simple any more. The warning systems are generally part of the instrument cluster. While there might be "a fuse somewhere", that fuse is also going to affect a lot of other systems.

My van (which has no business going fast) has a speed-warning beep. It's user-configurable, and "off" is one of the choices. I have mine set to 110 and it seldom goes off ... Better gas mileage that way ... Read the owner's manual ... Some JDM vehicles have a speed-warning beep which is legally required in that market and it is "non-disableable".

The Spectra seat belt beeper is probably the same as the one on my 09 Accent. There's nothing fancy or computerized about it, which is one advantage of cheap, basic cars.

Open the glove box and squeeze the sides of it inward to release the glove box door from the stops. This lets the door flop all the way down, and allows you to reach in under the dash and unplug the stupid beeper. It isn't hard to find - it is loud and vibrates noticeably to the touch when it is sounding.

I wear my belt all the time, so it must have also beeped when the car started up or something, so I disabled it right away. I just remember that it was a really annoying sound.

Downunder We used to get cars from japan with beeper earnings when the speed was 105km/hr. You can imagine how annoying that was!. But seatbelt warning for moving around the driveway? Come on...

Btw - this is a motorcycle forum .

The dealer is correct. The vehicle must be in compliance with Canadian motor vehicle safety standards at the time of delivery to the customer (you), and that seat belt warning system is part of the vehicle's compliance. So, legally, they are not allowed to disable it. That doesn't stop some people from doing it anyhow.

Unplugging speakers etc generally doesn't work any more; there is no dedicated speaker for the seat belt beeper. Some vehicles use the stereo speakers. Others have a dedicated speaker but they will use that for ALL the sounds the car has to make, including headlights left on, key left in ignition switch, parking brake left on while driving, oil pressure low, coolant temperature high, etc., and also the turn signal clicker (which is never a clicking relay any more - it comes through a speaker).

Frequently the seat belt warning system is enabled/disabled by a logic bit somewhere buried in the vehicle's controllers, and access to that bit requires software that interfaces with the on-board diagnostics. A simple code scanner is not going to cut it. If it is a VW/Audi product, you need either the official VAG scan tool or the aftermarket VAG-COM. If it is a Mercedes product, you need the STAR interface system that the dealer service department has. I don't know about others. Some manufacturers may make that bit "non-disableable".

Post up vehicle make-model-year, perhaps someone knows how to do it.

Thanks. It's a Mini Cooper 2015.

On my 2011 Ford Ranger, it tells you how to do disable the beeper in the owners manual, and I did it. A sequence of ignition switch and seat-belt insertions.... The dash lamp still comes on though.

Take apart the seatbelt where your belt clips in. Grab a piece of tape and tape over the little switch. Re-assemble seatbelt and you're good to go.
Downside is if you forget to put on the seatbelt the airbag will still deploy if you wreck possibly making your injuries worse.

^ The advantage of doing it correctly is that you can disable the beeper alone, and leave the warning lamp on the dash, and still keep the airbag/seatbelt controller functioning properly so that it knows whether or not you are belted in.

On a VW, you can independently turn on or off the beeper or the lamp. Default is both on. But it requires either the VW scan tool or the aftermarket equivalent (plus knowing where to look in the vehicle's controllers).

Mini will use BMW electronics. Look on the Mini owners forums. Guarantee that someone there knows how to do it.

Last edited:
wow. thanks for all the tips and advice.

Ill see if i can find a bmw/mini mechanic with to do it after I get the car from the dealership.

Maybe if I'm out messing with the computer or spending $60 on a cable etc… don't' think mechanic would charge much more to do it properly. and takes away the risk of me messing things up in computer ;P

just do a good google search , or look on a car forum that has to do with the vehicle your buying and you can prolly find your answer with doing some homework

Isn't it just a contact that gets shorted when you put the blade into the receptacle that triggers that? Should be as simple as shorting out two wires to make it go away.

The trucks up north just have the belt shoved through the space between the bottom and back of the seat and the belt connector plugged in.

wow. thanks for all the tips and advice.

Ill see if i can find a bmw/mini mechanic with to do it after I get the car from the dealership.

Maybe if I'm out messing with the computer or spending $60 on a cable etc… don't' think mechanic would charge much more to do it properly. and takes away the risk of me messing things up in computer ;P

Save your money for the eventual transmission replacement :D

Back
Top Bottom