Too many kms? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Too many kms?

My belief and experience is there's nothing wrong with high mileage bikes, but don't expect them to be brand new either. Whenever someone pipes in that his 100k+ bike is better than new, please give them a swift kick in the gonads. It's just not true. It's equivalent to that classic car that is in excellent shape, but this doesn't work, that leaks, that's worn, etc.

Not that there is anything wrong with higher mileage bikes, they run and drive perfectly fine. Just expect that they will need a bit more upkeep, attention, and overall have more wear than a lower mileage equivalent.

Where it becomes advantageous is buying one. No one wants high mileage bikes for all the wrong reasons, it's an excellent buyers market. Now if the significant cost savings outweigh the additional maintenance, that's up to you.

That's incredible! I know that searching will yield results all...Just wondering if anybody has ever experienced any bikes like Brian. I guess it all boils down to maintenance as well. Good to know that bikes can do a lot of kms though.

A Dr. I once met many yrs ago had an article written in a major motorcycle publication about his 92 CBR 900.....more than 10 or 15 yrs ago, it already had 350,000+ miles (almost 600,000 kms) on it. He used it for commuting, canyon riding in California, and trackdays. It had all mistmatched fairings by the time the article was written, but other than charging system parts (stator/rectifier etc) a water pump, fuel pump and a couple of starters, the bike was still stock and engine had never been opened....and it used no oil and ran very strong. It also had a crack develop in the frame after a track crash, so he drilled the end of the crack so it couldn't keep telegraphing across the extruded beam frame, then had the crack welded up, and carried on riding it. Who knows how many miles that bike lived for.

Mines at 68k now. Hadn't had the chance to ride much the last couple years

Sold my Katana with 116,000 kms on it, Just rolled over 65K on my vfr 800 on the way home today. Take care of your bike and it will last you a long time.

Who buys a bike to not ride it? I brought my new 2013 home April 12th in snow and cold temps. In gta language does this mean it's now worth nothing?

ajagu9u2.jpg

Some sellers seem to think their riding should be subsidized by the next owner. How does one determine what a bike is worth on wear alone? Bike worn 50% is worth 50% of new cost?

Some sellers seem to think their riding should be subsidized by the next owner. How does one determine what a bike is worth on wear alone? Bike worn 50% is worth 50% of new cost?
Precisely!
I can see alot of high mileage owners hoping to get the same $ they purchased the bike for.

In gta language does this mean it's now worth nothing?

Not nothing, but certainly a good bit less than a bike with next to no mileage. That's the reality for anyone putting on some miles.

I have gone up to an indicated 167 on GPS, speedo was touching 180...

I didn't suffer any abnormal vibrations, maybe they fixed it on the newer model. Mine has been ridden HARD and is currently at 81xxx km.

300 did 173 kmph...ran outta road but she was still trying to push...

Perfect example. What about all the swingarm linkage bearings? Wheel bearings? Rotors? Fork bushings and seals? On and on. What if all that stuff is only half worn? Does one want to ride a 160hp bike with half worn everything? That's all easy peasy for the enthusiast. What's the cost taking all that to a proper mechanic? Do I have to buy chinese all balls to make it worth it? I'd want the selling price to reflect the burden, that's all.

Swingarm linkage bearings are roller Bearings on that bike , they would last forever as long as the grease is still in there.

Rotors - you'd be able to feel if they were warped.

Fork bushings / seals - if they are leaking replace - bike cant pass safety this way with them leaking.

The point is - its a machine - when something breakes or has excessive wear - replace it / fix it

Perfect example. What about all the swingarm linkage bearings? Wheel bearings? Rotors? Fork bushings and seals? On and on. What if all that stuff is only half worn? Does one want to ride a 160hp bike with half worn everything? That's all easy peasy for the enthusiast. What's the cost taking all that to a proper mechanic? Do I have to buy chinese all balls to make it worth it? I'd want the selling price to reflect the burden, that's all.

Korean All Balls bearings, not chinese. Every kit I've bought has had KBC bearings inside.

http://www.berliss.com/p/kbc-bearings

Not nothing, but certainly a good bit less than a bike with next to no mileage. That's the reality for anyone putting on some miles.

A older low mileage bike that has just been sitting there will also have issues and in need of serious maintenance, notably anything made of rubber would have started to dry out an crack and will have to be replaced. They are machines, they have to be maintained, if they have 100km or 100,000km on them.

I'm having steering head bearings put into my almost-78,000-km ZX10R as we speak.

Got the bike back from Z1 Cycletech last week but didn't get a chance to ride it until today. Stuff done: Throttle body sync, steering head bearings (Z1), clean brake calipers and replace brake fluid, engine oil and filter change (me). It feels like a new bike. It's quite apparent now that the throttle bodies have been off kilter and the steering head bearings have been on the way out for quite a while, but you tend to get used to little things starting to wear until it's obvious time for replacement, and then ... what a huge difference.

Swingarm linkage bearings are roller Bearings on that bike , they would last forever as long as the grease is still in there.

Rotors - you'd be able to feel if they were warped.

Fork bushings / seals - if they are leaking replace - bike cant pass safety this way with them leaking.

The point is - its a machine - when something breakes or has excessive wear - replace it / fix it

Why quote me and not address the issue? Yes, I know, anything can be fixed. Woop dee doo.

Back
Top Bottom