2015 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

One I know of blew up at 53 KM's. Some blew up on demo day while the media were riding them!!

RSV4's aren't within their "Italian problems" either (pistons).

I just want to change my oil and ride. Suzuki allows me to do just that.

Don't look at an EBR1190...Motorcyclist put the bike on the dyno and it blowed up.

Looks like Suzuki is remaining quiet in the R&D department once again. A lot of Suzuki owners were expecting great things from them, and they deliver a paint job and ABS. Oh well, still the best bang for your buck at $14,000

Afraid not. As a Suzuki guy for most of my life, I have to say that the Aprilia RSV4R is a better, more exciting bike and comes with TC/WC/ABS/LC/QS in the package for about the same money, along with Brembo brakes front, rear as well as Brembo master cylinder. And as a chassis and engine package, if I had to choose Japanese I'd choose either the ZX10R and invest money in unlocking its potential (although I think it's kind of boring as a street bike) or a CBR1000R despite it not being changed for years.

Again, as a Suzuki guy in general (hey, I own four Suzuki products right now) I wish I wasn't saying that. Mind you, the GSX-R is still an excellent bike. 10 years ago we'd have been out of our minds for the current bike, but times have changed.

Better yet, if you're buying a street bike, get a Tuono v4R (awesome), a S1000R (awesome but inline-4) or a Street/Speed triple for the street. The naked bikes work better on the street in general and the supernakeds are a riot.

Last edited:
and the MOTO GP version......

The 2015 GSXRR1000 Moto GP bike.

[video=youtube;JcGSiaW1Isc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGSiaW1Isc[/video]

The new Suzuki MotoGP program's coming along nicely. I see they put the rear stand spools on the passenger pegs like I did on my Buell.

Long answer; If you're buying the bike to actually ride it, the R is more then you'll need for any occasion on the street. The sachs suspension is damn good and unlike the Ohlins comes with progressive rate springs which make for a better street ride.

This is true. And also not true. The Factory is a bit lighter and the Ohlins suspension gives you the "magic carpet ride" meaning it soaks up the little things like only a top shelf suspension can but remains stiff for honest track pace without even adjusting the suspension. And it gets better from there on. I've never worn out a *front* tire at Deal's Gap in a week before but I did this year. :) There is some value also in the variable stacks but it's marginal, TBH.

If you track a lot, for just over $2500 you can buy 30mm Ohlins Cartridges for the front forks and the TTX rear shock as a kit.

Yes. And this is a better track setup than stock, marginally. The original shock can be re-valved to be 98% as good and both shocks are equally well understood by suspension experts. The TTX is not a "big upgrade" although anyone trying to sell you one will tell you different... the original Factory Ohlins is what they used on WSB/GP bikes in the early 2000s, far from poor. You won't need to do much to the Factory to get near this level of performance from the suspension but on the other hand you won't save any money getting the Factory as far as this is concerned so if you're looking to build a track bike, it's a crapshoot AFA which direction to go.

The lighter wheels and frame adjustments do make a difference, particularly for a pro rider. Don't discount them, moving to the suggested track settings for the frame geometry and the lightweight wheels will give you more than a second off your laptime on most tracks and let you do things with the bike that no other stock-ish bike can match. The magic of the bike is in its engine tractability and its chassis flexibility (Factory or R, both are great). With another 20hp nobody'd even talk about other bikes, in my opinion.

The RXV / SXV fiasco was enough to scare me away from Aprilia

Why? Aprilia sells a race ready Supermotard bike and a pile of people buy it and try to use it like a long-term general street bike, and they blow up in 100 hours. Surprise! Anyone who races 4 stroke motocross/motard bikes will tell you that they would kill for 100 hours out of a race motor, but people tried to fit a square peg into a round hole because they had a model that came with mirrors and lights. However I will agree that the original ones (2006.5?) came to the dealerships with the wrong oil level recommendation as a result of the North American distributor, and that caused engine failures for the early bikes - this was really the NA distributors fault but it will forever remain in people's minds. Sadly.

RSV4's aren't within their "Italian problems" either (pistons).

Go home. You're drunk. And, you're wrong. The very early "R" models, of which virtually none were sold, had an issue with rods that were manufactured to the incorrect spec by a contractor. Almost all of them were never sold to the public and the few that were had their engines replaced.

I have about 10K on my Factory that includes 4 track days, a week at Deal's Gap and a lot of high speed running in an indeterminate place - the only issue that I have had is that the sprocket carrier on the wheel saw the bolts loosen up. Fairly common for that make of wheel and Aprilia has issued a TSB that they should be inspected with every tire change. It's annoying but not something I can't live with.

My Tuono, on the other hand, has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned in 38 (yeah, I'm old) years of owning bikes. It's had seven seasons of pure abuse from me including some track days and a lot of chasing faster bikes down roads without losing ground which requires one to really use the bike to its potential. It's been to Deal's Gap for five weeks of riding. It's been crashed at 80km/h on black ice. The battery is the original, more than seven years old. I could go out and fire it up right now and go for a ride, just like always. It needed a slight valve adjustment at 23500km, just like my GSX-R.

FYI, third party information isn't always accurate.

IMO (in my opinion), you'd have to be out of your mind to own anything on wheels made by Italians. They can't even get their supercars right.

I don't think you're drunk but that statement was definitely amusing. I see you're not a car guy either obviously.

This is true. And also not true. The Factory is a bit lighter and the Ohlins suspension gives you the "magic carpet ride" meaning it soaks up the little things like only a top shelf suspension can but remains stiff for honest track pace without even adjusting the suspension. And it gets better from there on. I've never worn out a *front* tire at Deal's Gap in a week before but I did this year. :) There is some value also in the variable stacks but it's marginal, TBH.

Yes. And this is a better track setup than stock, marginally. The original shock can be re-valved to be 98% as good and both shocks are equally well understood by suspension experts. The TTX is not a "big upgrade" although anyone trying to sell you one will tell you different... the original Factory Ohlins is what they used on WSB/GP bikes in the early 2000s, far from poor. You won't need to do much to the Factory to get near this level of performance from the suspension but on the other hand you won't save any money getting the Factory as far as this is concerned so if you're looking to build a track bike, it's a crapshoot AFA which direction to go.

The lighter wheels and frame adjustments do make a difference, particularly for a pro rider. Don't discount them, moving to the suggested track settings for the frame geometry and the lightweight wheels will give you more than a second off your laptime on most tracks and let you do things with the bike that no other stock-ish bike can match. The magic of the bike is in its engine tractability and its chassis flexibility (Factory or R, both are great). With another 20hp nobody'd even talk about other bikes, in my opinion.

Why? Aprilia sells a race ready Supermotard bike and a pile of people buy it and try to use it like a long-term general street bike, and they blow up in 100 hours. Surprise! Anyone who races 4 stroke motocross/motard bikes will tell you that they would kill for 100 hours out of a race motor, but people tried to fit a square peg into a round hole because they had a model that came with mirrors and lights. However I will agree that the original ones (2006.5?) came to the dealerships with the wrong oil level recommendation as a result of the North American distributor, and that caused engine failures for the early bikes - this was really the NA distributors fault but it will forever remain in people's minds. Sadly.

Go home. You're drunk. And, you're wrong. The very early "R" models, of which virtually none were sold, had an issue with rods that were manufactured to the incorrect spec by a contractor. Almost all of them were never sold to the public and the few that were had their engines replaced.

I have about 10K on my Factory that includes 4 track days, a week at Deal's Gap and a lot of high speed running in an indeterminate place - the only issue that I have had is that the sprocket carrier on the wheel saw the bolts loosen up. Fairly common for that make of wheel and Aprilia has issued a TSB that they should be inspected with every tire change. It's annoying but not something I can't live with.

My Tuono, on the other hand, has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned in 38 (yeah, I'm old) years of owning bikes. It's had seven seasons of pure abuse from me including some track days and a lot of chasing faster bikes down roads without losing ground which requires one to really use the bike to its potential. It's been to Deal's Gap for five weeks of riding. It's been crashed at 80km/h on black ice. The battery is the original, more than seven years old. I could go out and fire it up right now and go for a ride, just like always. It needed a slight valve adjustment at 23500km, just like my GSX-R.

FYI, third party information isn't always accurate.

Hearing a lot of smack here. The RXV / SXV is one of, if not "the" largest F ups in motorcycle history. They actually invited media writers to ride these things. They were blowing up left right and center. On the Aprilia forum there are several owners stating that they are wanting to "burn them to the ground." So plagued with problems...Aprilia should've purchased these bikes back instead of unloading their F up on innocent customers who each lost their $10K In fact, they were forced to buy them back in California. California enacted it's lemon law. Everyone else was SOL and lost their $10,000

Yet the DRZ, while not an exotic, is a grenade of a supermoto. You can't break them.

From Cycle World:

"Things that are wrong with this Aprilia RSV4 include: Looking at the exposed wires and the back of the headlights in the cockpit reminds you why we used to call Aprilia “the Kawasaki of Italy.” The traction-control left-thumb toggles are great when you’re closing on Checa in the final laps, but a pain in the butt every time you want to find the turnsignal button. Forget about finding the horn in a hurry. The mirrors might work for a giraffe. Stuck in traffic, the temp gauge wastes little time in registering numbers above 200 degrees (but the current bike does a better job insulating the rider than the original one did). There. That’s about it."

The RSV4's were recalled for "pistons!" At least Aprilia owned this F up and gave the dealers crate motors.

Seeing a pattern here?

Just because something is exotic, it doesn't mean it's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you're drunk but that statement was definitely amusing. I see you're not a car guy either obviously.

Remember FIAT? The acronym fix it again Tony?

Top Gear quote:

"The Italians make a great car that will run for a while, a very short while."

Italians DO make great furniture though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said supercar. Since when is a fiat a supercar? And top gear is the bible on cars now? Excuse me while I get the popcorn

Last edited:
The same videos could be found for any brand of car. Anything else?
I'm with you on gixxers. I love mine. However there are some Italians I would. Easily take over a suzi (gixxers have also had issues in the past)

So plagued with problems...

Uhm... yes there were problems, especially the very early ones. A lot of people didn't have problems, but I know for a fact that many people didn't know what "racing 4 stroke motocross" engines meant, as that was also the early days for 4 stroke motocross engines in general. Want to know how many people I know just in my circle of friends that felt the same way about their Honda CRFs? Oh wait, that would be all of them.

Yet the DRZ, while not an exotic, is a grenade of a supermoto. You can't break them.

They have about half the horsepower output. They are not even remotely a competitive racing bike, except - maybe - at trail riding.

"Things that are wrong with this Aprilia RSV4 include: Looking at the exposed wires and the back of the headlights in the cockpit reminds you why we used to call Aprilia “the Kawasaki of Italy.”

Those wires let you disconnect the lights in about 30 seconds to do a track day. Philosophies differ.

The traction-control left-thumb toggles are great when you’re closing on Checa in the final laps, but a pain in the butt every time you want to find the turnsignal button.

Actually no. They're a pain in the *** when you're on the track and find you've inadvertently turned up the TC to "5" when you wanted "1". I have to shift my hand to avoid them. But this is nitpicking to the nth level.

The mirrors might work for a giraffe.

Like every other full-fairing sportbike I've owned.

Stuck in traffic, the temp gauge wastes little time in registering numbers above 200 degrees (but the current bike does a better job insulating the rider than the original one did).

So did my GSX-Rs (remember them?). The RSV4 does get warm (even the frame), but not as hot as probably 10 other bikes off the top of my head. The S1000RR is one of them. My Sprint ST was another.

You must really hate a current-gen R1. They're awful. Hot as a buttered @#$^, problems with the clutch, camchain tensioner issues, ECU is neutered from the factory, weird rough transitions in engine response, sometimes the engine won't pull over 7,000 rpm, and the list goes on.

I could also bring up lots of other things but I'll just leave this here

FBK285_cover-01.jpg

Sounds like my vacuum - on a serious note, i think it is really pretty
and the MOTO GP version......

The 2015 GSXRR1000 Moto GP bike.

[video=youtube;JcGSiaW1Isc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGSiaW1Isc[/video]

Yes. And this is a better track setup than stock, marginally. The original shock can be re-valved to be 98% as good and both shocks are equally well understood by suspension experts. The TTX is not a "big upgrade" although anyone trying to sell you one will tell you different... the original Factory Ohlins is what they used on WSB/GP bikes in the early 2000s, far from poor. You won't need to do much to the Factory to get near this level of performance from the suspension but on the other hand you won't save any money getting the Factory as far as this is concerned so if you're looking to build a track bike, it's a crapshoot AFA which direction to go

In the context of the original question, I stand by my original statements. In my eyes it's only worth the extra if you're into having the top spec available for bike night. Why would one spend the extra 5K to have to re-valve to get as good a setup as can be had for $2k on the base? Use the savings for a Pipe and Race ECU and you're still not at 5K. As for the TTX; twin tube vs single, big upgrade in my eyes.

If this was the Triumph Daytona Base vs. R discussion I would say R hands down, not even a second thought, but the 675R is a much much bigger upgrade from base, with less of a price gap.

Not discounting anything, but "for a Pro Rider" says it all, and lets be honest, they'd likely ditch the wheels for something lighter still. I do however completely agree with your last statement.

Neil, you'd have to be a very good rider to care much about the difference between a TTX and a revalved original Ohlins, but I'm not debating whether the TTX is a better shock because it is. Also a more expensive one to own, incidentally. I don't even think I'm arguing against your points in general, TBH, more that subjectively the Factory isn't such a bad deal when you look at the other items you get - lighter wheels, lighter CF body panels, variable intakes and that intangible... air of difference. Anyone in the market has to decide what's important for them and clearly you have. Based on objective points, motorcycles don't even make sense, lol

Last edited:
Neil, you'd have to be a very good rider to care much about the difference between a TTX and a revalved original Ohlins, but I'm not debating whether the TTX is a better shock because it is. Also a more expensive one to own, incidentally. I don't even think I'm arguing against your points in general, TBH, more that subjectively the Factory isn't such a bad deal when you look at the other items you get - lighter wheels, lighter CF body panels, variable intakes and that intangible... air of difference. Anyone in the market has to decide what's important for them and clearly you have. Based on objective points, motorcycles don't even make sense, lol

Touché

Afraid not. As a Suzuki guy for most of my life, I have to say that the Aprilia RSV4R is a better, more exciting bike and comes with TC/WC/ABS/LC/QS in the package for about the same money, along with Brembo brakes front, rear as well as Brembo master cylinder. And as a chassis and engine package, if I had to choose Japanese I'd choose either the ZX10R and invest money in unlocking its potential (although I think it's kind of boring as a street bike) or a CBR1000R despite it not being changed for years.

Again, as a Suzuki guy in general (hey, I own four Suzuki products right now) I wish I wasn't saying that. Mind you, the GSX-R is still an excellent bike. 10 years ago we'd have been out of our minds for the current bike, but times have changed.

Better yet, if you're buying a street bike, get a Tuono v4R (awesome), a S1000R (awesome but inline-4) or a Street/Speed triple for the street. The naked bikes work better on the street in general and the supernakeds are a riot.
Different strokes. In comparison I found the 'Blade lacking excitement compared to my GSXR. Found the STR boring. They're great bikes I'm sure but I prefer mine still. I need to try out some supernaked's.l

Mladin - The RSV recall was indeed for rods for the reason stated. And compared to current Japanese litres, most of which have had their own major recalls, the RSV hasn't shown to be any less reliable.

Based on objective points, motorcycles don't even make sense, lol

Scintillating. Based on objective points life makes no sense, why should anything in parentheses make sense? I'm waiting for 300hp riding on air cushion with magnetic brakes, not wasting time on niggardly Apes.

Back
Top Bottom