Automated cruise control and bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Automated cruise control and bikes

If you can create a repeatable scenario, I would suggest that you set up a GoPro and record the circumstances of the system failing to detect the motorcycle in front. (Also record the circumstances of the system correctly detecting either the motorcycle or some other vehicle in front.) Find out who you should send the video to at the vehicle manufacturer, and also report it to Transport Canada here and to NHTSA in the USA. Given the potential liability, and provided that you find the right people to notify of this issue, they ought to be very interested in this.

All such systems have technical limitations, but a vehicle (of any legally-registered-for-the-road type) directly in its path and travelling steadily at a comparable speed should not be one of them.

My van has the back-up warning system, and it beeps at curbs, signs, bushes, etc.

The lane-departure warning systems have technical limitations because of the short range of the sensor. It cannot be a long range sensor because of potential interference and false-tripping issues. If you are sitting next the vehicle in traffic and gradually moving past it, they should work. They will NOT detect a vehicle approaching in the adjacent lane at a speed 100 km/h faster, until it's too late!

The good thing about the VW Group buying Ducati, and Mercedes buying MV Agusta, and BMW and Honda already making motorcycles, is that there is a substantial base of auto manufacturers who have an interest in their systems working across vehicle types.

The truck is a 2013 Cascadia by Freightliner, who are owned by Mercedes last time I checked. For legal reasons my employer forbids any recording by employees on company property, so no, I can't start experimenting and producing videos interesting as they may be. For those here who are concerned make sure when these trucks are behind you, that you stay in the CENTRE of your lane where the apex of the radar signal is. The device tries to eliminate falsies from other lanes by taking a narrow view and doesn't seem to cover an entire lane until about 100 feet. Closer than that and the radar beam tends to be focused on the centre of the lane, leaving a motorcycle riding to the left or right somewhat vulnerable. I doubt, even with this knowledge any action would be forthcoming from any government agency, simply because manufacturers warn that these devices are not foolproof and a driver's alert attention is needed while they are operating. I could go on about the flaws in the system, but overall it does have its merits making it an overall asset to drivers.

Back
Top Bottom