Automated cruise control and bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Automated cruise control and bikes

jcbarnar

My friend was telling me about his new car and how he uses the automated cruise control all the time.

My first thought was whether or not these systems detect motorcycles well enough?? The same question could be asked of lane departure warnings. The more more people rely on them the less they will actually LOOK.

It terrifies me that some people are not even driving their cars on their own anymore, just more reason to be distracted.

Are these good or bad for us?

I'd rather have some tech and a person who may or may not be looking, as opposed to just relying on an aging drivers who may or may not even be looking.
The systems can detect pedestrians, so bikes are ok.

We all know this, there are drivers who look into mirrors and will still turn into you.

This tech is all about keeping old people on the road, the current group of people that lead the stats in accident numbers.

If they keep giving out licenses in cereal boxes nothing will ever change. Look around, phones are still being used and they don`t care about other people. I always assume the worst till I can prove the best. That is never going to happen. I am sure we have all spoken to other cagers, "Get off the ****ing phone" Some it frightens the Jesus out of them, others just look at you and keep on talking/texting.

We must look after #1.

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your Turkey.

The sensors on the adaptive cruise control on most (expensive end) cars are 4 inches apart, bumper to bumper ,spanning the length of the bumper. They can detect motorcycles

No turkey today...health conscious mom made tofu! :mad:

Well then as long as the sensors see us then these systems aren't that bad of an idea. Of course there is no substitute for paying attention so I fundamentally disagree with these kind of driver aids, but at least the robots are looking out for us lol

Btw my friends car is an acura not even that expensive so I assume these systems will be on all new cars at some point soon

I thought one of the adaptive cc systems used a single sensor in the grille? Anyway, the sensors aren't nearly as important as the programming/logic behind it. You should test out your buddies system with you in each tire track to see if it trips (just keep the closing speeds low in case it doesn't work).

So Toyota has cars that can automatically brake. Several manufacturers have auto-speed adjusting cruise control. And I recently saw something about a Mercedes that can steer itself down a highway as long as you have a hand on the wheel.

I really like the idea of cars that can drive themselves but I'm not sure it would work well on the same roads as manually operated vehicles. In a world where cars can communicate with one another, and all drive themselves, then I think traffic could/should move a lot quicker but I think these cars would have to be on designated roads. For example, upon entering the 407, your car would switch into auto mode and you wouldn't be able to override it.

So Toyota has cars that can automatically brake. Several manufacturers have auto-speed adjusting cruise control. And I recently saw something about a Mercedes that can steer itself down a highway as long as you have a hand on the wheel.

I really like the idea of cars that can drive themselves but I'm not sure it would work well on the same roads as manually operated vehicles. In a world where cars can communicate with one another, and all drive themselves, then I think traffic could/should move a lot quicker but I think these cars would have to be on designated roads. For example, upon entering the 407, your car would switch into auto mode and you wouldn't be able to override it.

Look up the new Tesla D and it's auto-drive features.

I fail to see how a car driving itself is going to make traffic move any faster when you are in line 5 km long, 6 lanes wide, which is blocked at the other end by an accident, which is pretty much normal in the GTA. I guess it might prevent a bit of rubber necking but that won't make a huge difference.

I fail to see how a car driving itself is going to make traffic move any faster when you are in line 5 km long, 6 lanes wide, which is blocked at the other end by an accident, which is pretty much normal in the GTA. I guess it might prevent a bit of rubber necking but that won't make a huge difference.

At some future point when it's widespread enough I think it would be a huge help. Most traffic jams are because people are jerks always trying to jockey for position and cutting each other off. the human element is the biggest problem on our roads. That being said, i'll never turn over control of my motorcycle to a computer!

I have the radar cruise system on my truck. If the question is "Do these things detect motorcycles" the answer is not always. I have tested it out with a bike in front of me and at times it does, other times for some reason it doesn't. It detects cars alright, but bikes are hit and miss. So, can we trust them? No. These are only aids to help us drive, they don't do the whole job. The radar cruise is good in thick fog because it slows the vehicle down when there's a vehicle ahead you can't see. But don't get a false sense of security that the cruise will do it all for you because it won't.
For bikes, a rear radar warning of oncoming vehicles when we are stopped might prevent some rear-end collisions at intersections, otherwise I want to be in control of my motorcycle.

Last edited:
I have the radar cruise system on my truck. If the question is "Do these things detect motorcycles" the answer is not always. I have tested it out with a bike in front of me and at times it does, other times for some reason it doesn't. It detects cars alright, but bikes are hit and miss. So, can we trust them? No. These are only aids to help us drive, they don't do the whole job. The radar cruise is good in thick fog because it slows the vehicle down when there's a vehicle ahead you can't see. But don't get a false sense of security that the cruise will do it all for you because it won't.
For bikes, a rear radar warning of oncoming vehicles when we are stopped might prevent some rear-end collisions at intersections, otherwise I want to be in control of my motorcycle.

Wouldn't be bad to have the dash light up like a Christmas tree on your bike if someone is coming up too quickly, or better yet, have a grenade tossed at the vehicle behind you, something James Bond like. Wishful thinking I know....

That's not what I wanted to hear! If it doesn't detect bikes easily then I feel like writing someone to have this tested in more detail. Maybe a car mag?.. I dunno.

It all started with automatic transmissions. You cannot text, eat soup, do makeup, etc. with stick.
I once rode with a guy in high school that would smoke, eat a burger, drink a pop, and talk on the phone while driving stick, in the city.

I can easily do all kinds of things in my car while driving stick. Half the time I drive with only one hand simply because I'm lazy.

On the highway years ago I went so far as to change safety boots and another time got something out of the trunk. Pretty sure I've changed my pants while driving before. Not very smart but they were all done while driving manual.

You over estimate the affects of automatic transmissions.

Last edited:
I once rode with a guy in high school that would smoke, eat a burger, drink a pop, and talk on the phone while driving stick, in the city.

I can easily do all kinds of things in my car while driving stick. Half the time I drive with only one hand simply because I'm lazy.

On the highway years ago I went so far as to change safety boots and another time got something out of the trunk. Pretty sure I've changed my pants while driving before. Not very smart but they were all done while driving manual.

You over estimate the affects of automatic transmissions.

+1, In the past I've spent months driving a standard car without the use of an arm or leg (thankfully not down an arm and a leg at the same time).

If you can create a repeatable scenario, I would suggest that you set up a GoPro and record the circumstances of the system failing to detect the motorcycle in front. (Also record the circumstances of the system correctly detecting either the motorcycle or some other vehicle in front.) Find out who you should send the video to at the vehicle manufacturer, and also report it to Transport Canada here and to NHTSA in the USA. Given the potential liability, and provided that you find the right people to notify of this issue, they ought to be very interested in this.

All such systems have technical limitations, but a vehicle (of any legally-registered-for-the-road type) directly in its path and travelling steadily at a comparable speed should not be one of them.

My van has the back-up warning system, and it beeps at curbs, signs, bushes, etc.

The lane-departure warning systems have technical limitations because of the short range of the sensor. It cannot be a long range sensor because of potential interference and false-tripping issues. If you are sitting next the vehicle in traffic and gradually moving past it, they should work. They will NOT detect a vehicle approaching in the adjacent lane at a speed 100 km/h faster, until it's too late!

The good thing about the VW Group buying Ducati, and Mercedes buying MV Agusta, and BMW and Honda already making motorcycles, is that there is a substantial base of auto manufacturers who have an interest in their systems working across vehicle types.

Back
Top Bottom