Honda 77 cb550f rear shock replacement | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda 77 cb550f rear shock replacement

Kyle_Bleiman

Hi everyone,

So after the electrical problems I had with this bike I now have a new issue. Driving today and went over a speed bump and it looks like the rear shocks have given out. Back of the bike is almost touching the rear tire. Anyone have experience with this and can someone recommend a decent set of shocks and where I can purchase them from - online is fine.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Good quality for the street, Hagon's. About $400 for a pair. Super high end, Werks Performance, about $800 a set

There's cheap china ones, KYC I think, they're ok and will last about a season or so. Not bad for $100 shipped. they come with a piggy back system vs the standard shocks that come with bike.
look on dotheton forum for rebuilds for them

You get what you pay for... They're, well it will still feel like a 35 yr old bike.

Spend as much as you can. Worth it in the end if you plan on keeping the bike.

I have a set of shocks from one of my cb550s if you need one. Unless you want to go for an upgrade. It's weird how your shocks are calling quits when these things never really give out. Have you adjusted the springs so it sits higher?

I don't know much about bikes but basically I went over a speed bump and the bike died or blew a fuse (main fuse was blown). When I got off the entire back section of the bike was much lower and almost sitting on the rear wheel. I assume the short happened when the wires for the rear light touched metal or something. It is possible it's not the shocks? I can't seem to raise the bike back to it's original position.

Those shocks you have do not look standard, and they may be too short. Look underneath and see if something is catching or is stuck. You can go on ebay and buy some shocks for your bike to get it back to standard. If hitting a speed bump can knock out your bike you really need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb, as the previous owner botched his mods. Bikes are meant to take more than a slight nudge before they break. I am sure there will be other hidden surprises on this bike. Learn to wrench.

Original shocks seem to last forever, but they will perform like 1977. If this is Ok with you then you need not upgrade.

Those are progressive springs. Aftermarket. Quality again is what you pay for.

What length are those? Stock is 12" I believe. And it shouldn't look like that at all.
I have 13 1/4" on mine (race bike) to speed up steering.

They have an adjustment at the bottom area from the pick. I cant really make it up with the distance, resolution and its all black. Maybe a close up pick? If u can swing by my
Place in scarb maybe i can help u out if the bike is ridable. Im free all day tom. Pm is key

I'm in Ottawa myself. Measure the length of the shocks via centre to centre of each bolt.

I'm betting you're at ~10". It seems that someone was going for looks for function.

order new shocks at least 12" in length. I would go for 12 3/4 if I were you.

I didn't realize these were aftermarket. Good to know. When the backside of the bike lowered it also blew a fuse so I'm assuming under the seat / rear fender a wire may have come loose so at this point the bike won't turn on and the backside is basically resting on the rear wheel.

The guy who built the bike for me is coming by tomorrow to take the bike for the winter. We will be doing small things to get it ready for next season and I guess part of that will be replacing the rear shocks.

It seems like dimecity sells hagon shocks although I'm not sure the exact model I need?

Last edited:
I'm in Ottawa myself. Measure the length of the shocks via centre to centre of each bolt.

I'm betting you're at ~10". It seems that someone was going for looks for function.

order new shocks at least 12" in length. I would go for 12 3/4 if I were you.

This is not how the shocks were before I went over the bump. Everything was sitting higher but since then it's like the shocks are compressed or have given out.

Back
Top Bottom