lets talk about mobile voice/data plans | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lets talk about mobile voice/data plans

Did your contract expire with Telus a decade ago? How are you going month to month with them?

Yes it did. I simply didn't renew. You lose any free stuff, though, if you don't sign a contact.

I received a great text from Rogers informing me on a new plan I should sign up for:

Rogers msg: XXX, this summer, use your phone like you're at home with ROAM LIKE HOME in over 35 countries across Europe for $10/day when roaming within an eligible country and $5/day when roaming in the U.S - on a Share Everything Plan. Switch today for $110 /mo. and get 8GB of data and more, which is about $41.32 more /mo. than your current average spend. Call 1 855 824-1437 or visit a Rogers store to learn more. Reply STOP to opt-out of Rogers text msgs. Reach us at http://rogers.com/reachus

Great plan, only $41.32 MORE a month!

This is why I do not do contracts. If I were to take Rogers up on that plan, I would pay $2500+ in 2 years for a phone that I paid outright for $1000. I have a great plan, 6 gigs of data, unlimited text, free after 6, free weekends, etc etc etc.

LOL ^^^
Same idea, a little off topic-- Last August, Bell calls me and offers me FREE lite internet for a year, no strings attached (40gb, as compared to the 25gb plan I had with Rogers). So I call Rogers and ask what they can do to compete. Goes away, comes back and offers me the same service as Bell for....$17 MORE a month than what I was paying!
I asked if they ever have anyone take them up on a deal like that, when someone else is getting something for free. He responded most people just lie about stuff like that to get a deal. So I cancelled my service with them.

Back on track-- we'll see what they tell me when my wife's $24 plan expires this month (no data, 100 text-- last month she used 6 mins and sent 35 texts)

Also, so cool that they refer to your as "XXX"! ?

I carry 2 phones ... 1 work and 1 personal...

my personal is with Bell and I pay $55 tax incl. 3 yr contract (ends this yr) gets me :
250 min daytime
unlimited text CAN only
unlimited incoming
6 gig of data (about 1 gig used on this phone)
message centre, etc. etc.

my work phone is with Rogers and is 70+tax / month ... I get :
unlimited daytime minutes incoming or outgoing
unlimited text CAN to global (USA or International)
unlimited pic / video messages
unlimited north america long distance
unlimited usa roaming minutes
unlimited data (I find on average I use about 30-40 gigs a month)
unlimited north america data roaming
voicemail, etc. etc. etc.

some will ask why bother carrying the personal phone. Reason ? Everything i do on the work phone is tracked and logged. If it isn't work related (other then streaming netflix on the Rogers phone) then I do not use the work phone for personal use.

Since I don't use very much, I'm waiting to move to my new house and possibly switching my Bell plan to a Wind $35 plan. I can take a few dropped calls for a 35-40% reduction in cost.

Last edited:
Your work pays for that phone and not you, right?

That's a pretty good Rogers deal and the Bell one isn't bad either.

I also carry two phones because my personal phone is basically an Internet device and I'm also paranoid the work phone might be tracked. I know if I connect it to BES it is but we can put our SIM into other devices. If I were to do that I'm not sure if they'd bother tracking what the data is being used for. Our plan is also only 1 gb but that's out of a pool of everyone so it's not a huge deal if I go a bit over as long as not everyone is using it. I'd drop my personal phone but there are the rare occasions where I will use all my 6 gb data. Such as when I was in Wrigley, NT and the entire town's Internet was down and I wanted some movies.

Your work pays for that phone and not you, right?

Correct.

History / Process :

The phone (iPhone 6+) was ordered through Apple by our communications department and had extra security software added on and our internal email app installed. The phone plan bill is put in my name and I get a bill each month and hand it to the office secretary who pays it out on our department credit card each month.

Since the plan is in my name, I am told that if I were to leave the company I can take the plan with me but the phone (iPhone) stays in the company.

That's a pretty good Rogers deal and the Bell one isn't bad either.

I also carry two phones because my personal phone is basically an Internet device and I'm also paranoid the work phone might be tracked. I know if I connect it to BES it is but we can put our SIM into other devices. If I were to do that I'm not sure if they'd bother tracking what the data is being used for. Our plan is also only 1 gb but that's out of a pool of everyone so it's not a huge deal if I go a bit over as long as not everyone is using it. I'd drop my personal phone but there are the rare occasions where I will use all my 6 gb data. Such as when I was in Wrigley, NT and the entire town's Internet was down and I wanted some movies.

I was told by the communications guys that everything is logged and tracked but they rarely do anything with it. Since I work in the financial services industry, I am being told it would only be used for some internal audit, an investigation (insider trading, etc. etc.). Still I'd rather not have anything on there that is too personal. They can look at the logs of my Netflix video's all they want. All 30-40gigs a month of it hahaha

@Chiller, I would not give up that Bell plan ever. You will never get that back. And everything is getting data hungry. I would gladly take that plan over, if there was a way.

I was told by the communications guys that everything is logged and tracked but they rarely do anything with it. Since I work in the financial services industry, I am being told it would only be used for some internal audit, an investigation (insider trading, etc. etc.). Still I'd rather not have anything on there that is too personal. They can look at the logs of my Netflix video's all they want. All 30-40gigs a month of it hahaha

No, that's completely fair. I would do exactly the same thing... maybe use a VPN tunnel with tethering. Since it would have potentially valuable data/company communications on it, you wouldn't want to be the guy that gets their phone jacked after installing questionable Flappy Bird knockoffs anyway

It's the opposite in my company. No one wants a busted old phone so as long as you didn't just start a term it's yours to keep. Plan is lost as soon as you no longer work there. We even get special rates for personal phones through work and even those are lost if you leave the company and the company has no involvement in those besides negotiating the group rate.

Have to bump this up as I think I need to find a better plan.

I am a bit of an odd phone user -- I need next to no voice minutes at all, almost all of my usage is data or text.

Right now I just use Koodo prepaid which is $15/month for unlimited texts and then you add-on from there. I put 100 talk minutes on more than a year ago and still have 37 left. I do, however, end up putting 1gb of data on every month -- so an extra $30 a month. Total: $45 a month.

All of the major companies don't have plans that suit me. A lot of them match the data to the voice... 500mb and 500 minutes... I don't need the voice, just give me more data!

I've even somewhat considered getting a tablet plan with data only... just use hangouts dialer for outgoing calls, whatsapp for texts... but I doubt that would work as I don't know how I would receive incoming calls.

Any suggestions? Or just stay how I am now -- essentially $45/month with 1gb of data that rolls over if I don't use it and unlimited texts.

If you want to do some phone Kung fu, Fido offers that plan for $35 (in quebec) but there are some loops to make it work in Ont.

There's a $39 Fido retentions plan that has 2 GB included.

Aside from that, anything more and you're over what you're paying.

If you go data only, you can run a voip number from freephoneline or voip.ms.

Have to bump this up as I think I need to find a better plan.

I am a bit of an odd phone user -- I need next to no voice minutes at all, almost all of my usage is data or text.

Right now I just use Koodo prepaid which is $15/month for unlimited texts and then you add-on from there. I put 100 talk minutes on more than a year ago and still have 37 left. I do, however, end up putting 1gb of data on every month -- so an extra $30 a month. Total: $45 a month.

All of the major companies don't have plans that suit me. A lot of them match the data to the voice... 500mb and 500 minutes... I don't need the voice, just give me more data!

I've even somewhat considered getting a tablet plan with data only... just use hangouts dialer for outgoing calls, whatsapp for texts... but I doubt that would work as I don't know how I would receive incoming calls.

Any suggestions? Or just stay how I am now -- essentially $45/month with 1gb of data that rolls over if I don't use it and unlimited texts.
There are no good data plans anymore and most companies will not let you have a tablet plan without mating it to a voice plan.

Fongo will let you sent/receive calls to/from any phone. Texting costs money.

Text Plus (I think it changed its name to Next Plus) does free texting but costs for phone calls.

Freetone is completely free for both. I use it and it works great.

My phone has some kind of issue where regular calls have no audio but all those voip apps I just mentioned work fine through the same mic and speaker (makes almost no sense).

All of these services give you a normal phone number that works like any other cell phone. You just have to use their app. They are all ad supported.

If you find a good data only service I'd also be interested.

I'm paying about $62/month right now. I'm on a $25 minimal voice plan with $30 for 6 GB added on (then there's some tax and access fees on top of that). I only use the data as voice doesn't even work on my phone and I had all texting blocked as I only use Freetone. This is through Telus.

I have heard of a private network option through Telus that only costs $10/month (to my company, anyway) for unlimited data but my understanding is you'd have to pay for a device on each end and it only connects to two ends together. Still, if I could somehow utilize a plan like this to connect to my home network and get on the Internet that way, $20/month for unlimited bandwidth piggy backing off my home Internet would be a good deal (although when home Internet went down I'd be SOL) but I have no idea if that would work, if Telus would sell it to someone for the same price, or how to set it up. But it makes sense in my head, lol!

so my 'contract' for my Bell phone officially ends at the end of the month. I'm thinking I'll give up my Bell personal plan and port my number over to Wind for $35 / month. Anytime I am out of the city that the Wind service may want to charge me roaming I'll just use my work phone :) ~~ I know not everyone else has that option.

On that note :
- They also have some BYOD work negotiated rates for our personal phones with Rogers / Telus ... Telus gives unlimited everything (calls / text / LD in CAN) and 3 gigs of data for $44 / month with no contract. I just need to give them my employee ID and I can get 6 devices for my address.

HAVING SAID THAT ... i read the last 2 posts about wanting Data more exclusively over anything else. I have an iphone 3gs here at work that's unlocked. I also have a Rogers Rocket stick that uses the same SIM. I was able to plug the SIM into the 3gs and use the data just fine. If you think of using it that way and using data only would it be cheaper for you to just get a rocket stick from them and just use the SIM in your phone ? the only calls you can make would be VOIP calls ?

Last edited:
I received a great text from Rogers informing me on a new plan I should sign up for:

Rogers msg: XXX, this summer, use your phone like you're at home with ROAM LIKE HOME in over 35 countries across Europe for $10/day when roaming within an eligible country and $5/day when roaming in the U.S - on a Share Everything Plan. Switch today for $110 /mo. and get 8GB of data and more, which is about $41.32 more /mo. than your current average spend. Call 1 855 824-1437 or visit a Rogers store to learn more. Reply STOP to opt-out of Rogers text msgs. Reach us at http://rogers.com/reachus

Great plan, only $41.32 MORE a month!

This is why I do not do contracts. If I were to take Rogers up on that plan, I would pay $2500+ in 2 years for a phone that I paid outright for $1000. I have a great plan, 6 gigs of data, unlimited text, free after 6, free weekends, etc etc etc.
So your plan is $69 a month, I pay 48 I get 5 GB data, unlimited talk text and video messaging in Canada for $48. I have 5 phones on that plan, all pooled, without the $5 per line pooling , and non of those nonsense government fees.

so my 'contract' for my Bell phone officially ends at the end of the month. I'm thinking I'll give up my Bell personal plan and port my number over to Wind for $35 / month. Anytime I am out of the city that the Wind service may want to charge me roaming I'll just use my work phone :) ~~ I know not everyone else has that option.

On that note :
- They also have some BYOD work negotiated rates for our personal phones with Rogers / Telus ... Telus gives unlimited everything (calls / text / LD in CAN) and 3 gigs of data for $44 / month with no contract. I just need to give them my employee ID and I can get 6 devices for my address.

HAVING SAID THAT ... i read the last 2 posts about wanting Data more exclusively over anything else. I have an iphone 3gs here at work that's unlocked. I also have a Rogers Rocket stick that uses the same SIM. I was able to plug the SIM into the 3gs and use the data just fine. If you think of using it that way and using data only would it be cheaper for you to just get a rocket stick from them and just use the SIM in your phone ? the only calls you can make would be VOIP calls ?
Start away from wind, their service is garbage now. It used to be good when they first started out, now getting a signal in most places is hard.

@chiller that Telus plan sounds pretty good. If you go that way and have any room on that plan...

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

@MotorcycleMike I'm no expert, but I think you would have a hard time finding a better deal that what you have.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom