lets talk about mobile voice/data plans | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lets talk about mobile voice/data plans

I'm in a unique situation here and are looking for any recommendations.
I have an employee who lives in the UK and travels to our Toronto office on occasions.
He wants a GTA telephone number but the ability to use the phone wherever / whenever.
Rogers ONLY offers roaming plans on a monthly basis. As this phone is roaming almost the time, applying roaming packages on a monthly basis isn't really an option.
I need a phone plan that gives me a decent roaming rate in the UK all the time.
If anyone has suggestions, please pass them along.

Thanks.

GTA VOIP number forwarded to UK Cell phone?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm in a unique situation here and are looking for any recommendations.
I have an employee who lives in the UK and travels to our Toronto office on occasions.
He wants a GTA telephone number but the ability to use the phone wherever / whenever.
Rogers ONLY offers roaming plans on a monthly basis. As this phone is roaming almost the time, applying roaming packages on a monthly basis isn't really an option.
I need a phone plan that gives me a decent roaming rate in the UK all the time.
If anyone has suggestions, please pass them along.

Thanks.
get a Toronto magic jack number, $29 a year, a UK cell phone, then use the magic jack app to make and receive calls to and from Toronto

Last edited:
More testament to WIND's super signal quality. I am currently sitting in my kitchen in mississauga, yet somehow I'm roaming. I have not been out of a coverage zone all day.

1a13fc0c914bd2d6b098f1c0be2c0e04.jpg

Set your phone to manual mode and Select WIND. It will hold on to the signal longer.

I have been with wind for 4 years now. No major issues. Originally got it because I was traveling between Ottawa and the GTA a lot. When I leave the wind network in Ontario I roam on Rogers. I've had no issue roaming in the US, UK, Germany or Tanzania either. Roaming rates are reasonable.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Fongo will give a free Canadian number, too. Free calls to / from Canada no matter where you are as long as you have some kind of data connection.

It doesn't consider the territories to be part of Canada, though, not that that's a problem for most people.

I have a question then with my Wind service. I have an alert that audibly warns me when i lose cell phone signal. How can my phone have a full high speed signal, drop to 3g, drop to no signal and then go back to full. Phone is a nexus 5
caveat: this is with my phone sitting unmoved on my desk at my workplace in Scarborough. It will pop the alert up to a dozen times during my 9 hour day
weather does not change it, have not really checked if windy conditions affect it. are the wind transmitters mounted on kites?

I have a question then with my Wind service. I have an alert that audibly warns me when i lose cell phone signal. How can my phone have a full high speed signal, drop to 3g, drop to no signal and then go back to full. Phone is a nexus 5
caveat: this is with my phone sitting unmoved on my desk at my workplace in Scarborough. It will pop the alert up to a dozen times during my 9 hour day
weather does not change it, have not really checked if windy conditions affect it. are the wind transmitters mounted on kites?

Conduits running near your office area that are interfering?
Remember the AWS frequency has crappy building penetration. More can be done with that signal, but it's flaky. Huawei is the hardware provider for WIND tower antenna's.

Conduits running near your office area that are interfering?
Remember the AWS frequency has crappy building penetration. More can be done with that signal, but it's flaky. Huawei is the hardware provider for WIND tower antenna's.
This is true, if you're close to high powered transformers or electrical lines it doesn't matter who is your provider, your signal will drop & behave weird.

My ex lived 1km apart from cross country lines & we all lose reception periodically. I used to joke if I was hiding from CSIS, that's where I'd be, its like an electronic black hole

I had to bump this thread to ask: is anyone here with Mobilicity? How is it?
In particular, how is mobilicity with roaming?

I cannot use Wind because I'd almost always be roaming and it would cost me a lot.

Actually, I think I just found the answer -- it appears that mobilicity unlimited data is also only unlimited for the major urban centers, outside areas would be roaming. So it would appear to be off the list too.

They have a good deal at the moment though -- $29/month unlimited data talk and text.

Last edited:
I had to bump this thread to ask: is anyone here with Mobilicity? How is it?
In particular, how is mobilicity with roaming?

I cannot use Wind because I'd almost always be roaming and it would cost me a lot.

Actually, I think I just found the answer -- it appears that mobilicity unlimited data is also only unlimited for the major urban centers, outside areas would be roaming. So it would appear to be off the list too.

They have a good deal at the moment though -- $29/month unlimited data talk and text.

Mobilicity has filed for bankruptcy protection not too long ago, and has been purchased by Telus (deal finalizing). They are on their last legs.

Mobilicity is to Wind Mobile, what Hyosung is to Suzuki. Hope that makes sense.

Mobilicity has filed for bankruptcy protection not too long ago, and has been purchased by Telus (deal finalizing). They are on their last legs.

Mobilicity is to Wind Mobile, what Hyosung is to Suzuki. Hope that makes sense.

If your second line is true, @Diesel you would be better off trying to communicate the old fashioned way:

TINCAN_PHONE04.png

I'd post a screenshot of my download speeds on WIND, but I'm afraid the connection is so slow that I won't even be able to do that! :lmao:

Reviving this thread as I need to renew my phone plans. Been with Rogers since 1998, so will try the loyalty angle. I don't need a lot for me -- Fido has 500min/500mb which would work for me. Want to stay around $50/month. Happy enough with Rogers coverage. Customer service however....
Anyway, anyone have something similar that I can use as a bargaining tool? Thanks!

Reviving this thread as I need to renew my phone plans. Been with Rogers since 1998, so will try the loyalty angle. I don't need a lot for me -- Fido has 500min/500mb which would work for me. Want to stay around $50/month. Happy enough with Rogers coverage. Customer service however....
Anyway, anyone have something similar that I can use as a bargaining tool? Thanks!

$56.20/month
unlimited voice/roaming in Canada
10 gb data limit(throttled after)
unlimited messaging in Canada
rogers corporate plan-- some jerk tried to sell his line on kijiji.. so # of lines being restricted now.
they should be able to match that for around $80 to the public

Been with Rogers since 1998, so will try the loyalty angle

doesnt matter who your with, there is no company that cares about loyalty... all the cell companies have back door deals with each other so all the prices are almost identical.

I'm with virgin and have been for a long time my plan is Less than $40/month, but thats because it is the same plan ive had since i signed up. I just have to buy my phones outright, but whatever, at least im not stuck paying $80/month for the same service!

I need to figure out something with rogers.

Need 3 lines (bring phone with all three), but do hardware upgrade next year and the year after. Also need talk, text, vm, caller id and 15gb shared data. What can I hope to get?

Back
Top Bottom