ninja 300 engine cut out in middle of intersection ! | GTAMotorcycle.com

ninja 300 engine cut out in middle of intersection !

sid_for_speed

Today I experienced a weird thing with the ninja I normally put the bike in neutral at a stop light. Today i did the same thing but the engine cut out...I thought I had accidently stalled it but the I then realized , not only did the engine cut out, the dash had gone blank as well...as if I had turned the bike off...I turned the ignition off, waited 2 sec and turned it back ....nothing! All of a sudden the dash lit up on its own, but as I pressed the ignition, the same thing happened, the dash went out, as if i had turned the bike off...I did this for a coupl of times and the bike finally started...just in time for me to go ahead through the green light...

I did not put the trans. in neutral again fearing its my clutch switch.when I reached home, i put the bike in neutral. Nothing happened. I purposly stalled it in first gear. Still nothing. I took off the clutch switch while the engine was running.Still nothing!

I am unable to recreate the problem. I checked the battery terminals to see if they are loose and gave the bike a once over to check for any wire grounding but found nothing...any ideas what this problem could be about?

First off bad practice to put in neutral at a stop but that being said maybe a faulty ignition switch??

Different makes and likely different wiring schemes but I'll throw this out for you: I had electrical issues with my 2014 CBR500RA where the cluster would reset spontaneously, the MIL would come on, the ABS light would come on etc. This eventually grew into increasingly severe symptoms until one day I went out to start it and the key did nothing at all: no lights, no fuel pump, no nothing.

On mine it turned out that the starter relay had gone bad. On my Honda the starter relay not only switches the starter motor current it also acts as the main 30A fuse holder and to steer battery power to the ignition switch. On mine the internals became intermittent and failed over time and it eventually stopped sending current to the ignition switch.

Since replacing the relay the problems vanished and its been flawless since.

I think the EX300 uses a similar relay for a similar purpose. Might be worth checking (along with the connections at that relay...)

I'm going to check the relay...weird that the clock reset as well...as if the battery had been pulled out!

First off bad practice to put in neutral at a stop but that being said maybe a faulty ignition switch??

You should put your bike in neutral when at a red light. Ever had a clutch cable break? I have.
If you're in first gear at an intersection when it happens, you'd lurch out into traffic.

If this is the first year ninja I heard that there was an ecu problem where the bike would just die out of nowhere that the dealers could fix.

You should put your bike in neutral when at a red light. Ever had a clutch cable break? I have.
If you're in first gear at an intersection when it happens, you'd lurch out into traffic.

If your cable broke at the intersection it was going to break at some point soon. Holding your clutch in does not break the cable. A old fraying cable will break but if it is going to break it will break any of the 100 other times you pull the clutch in not only when at a red light.

That's correct, but it's still safer to keep it in neutral when stopped at a light just in case for reasons stated.

Seriously? Better not ride at all, then. Your tires could blow out.

i always keep my bike in gear since someone is usually coming up behind me and i don't want to get rear ended by some lazy/bad/distracted driver.

aren't there signs that a cable is going bad? like the wires coming apart and the cable getting sticky? wouldn't regular maintenance allow someone to see these things before they happen? i had to fix my sticky throttle cable recently and i heard from various sources that if proper lubing/adjusting doesn't fix it, then the cable should be replaced.

The whole reason for keeping in 1st gear at a light is exactly that to save your butt if someone is going to rear end you you can get out of the way quickly.

Back
Top Bottom