Any Smartphone experts here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Smartphone experts here?

-Maverick-

If you have an iPhone contract (not smartphone contract) with Rogers, can you swap sims between an iPhone and an Android phone If they're both micro? Will it work? I'm thinking of jumping ship on iPhone and want to test the waters. My iPhone plan is grandfathered with Rogers at 6 GB and I don't want to give it up. No conjecture please just experts. Thank you.

Last edited:
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]If you have an iPhone contract (not smartphone contract) with Rogers, can you swap sims between an iPhone and an Android phone? Will it work? I'm thinking of jumping ship on iPhone and want to test the waters. My iPhone plan is grandfathered with Rogers at 6 GB and I do t want to give it up. No conjecture please just experts. Thank you.[/COLOR]

As long as they are both Rogers phones and both use the same sim card size, yes. Even if they did not use the same sim card size, you could go to any Rogers store and have them put your info on a new sim card for the device you want. Sometimes they do it for free, other times it is around $10.

As long as they are both Rogers phones and both use the same sim card size, yes. Even if they did not use the same sim card size, you could go to any Rogers store and have them put your info on a new sim card for the device you want. Sometimes they do it for free, other times it is around $10.

What if the android phone is unlocled? I don't want them telling me I need a smartphone contract vs my iPhone contract (to run an android).

Last edited:
The (micro) SIM card itself is not restricted from being moved around, but there are a whole bunch of caveats.

-The first and most obvious one is, of course, the Android phone must be unlocked
-Carrier-dependent phone specific features will not work on the Android (e.g. Visual voicemail)... you *might* be able to call Rogers technical support and have those features activated for you, if you are currently paying for an iPhone equivalent
-The Android phone has got to be able to connect to Roger's cellular network. This is more of a problem with phones obtained from the US or overseas, than it is with phones sourced from within the country. AFAIK this means 850/1900MHz for GSM/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA+, and 700/2600MHz for LTE

Last edited:
Your contract provided you with data. They do not care what phone uses the data. Blackberry had device specific data plans but you do not need to worry about that. Unlocked phones might need some settings if data does not work immediately but that is easily fixed. If SIM card is different size you might be able to get adapter. Mostly it is just matter of size and simple plastic frame will be enough. Many SIM cards support different sizes by breaking out format you need out of plastic card. You have nothing to worry about.

All of the above.

Just swap and go.

Worst case, you might need to update the APN settings in your android device to get the data to work (that takes 2 seconds and is very straightforward). In fact, here they are (if your SIM doesn't have them picked up automagically on to the phone):

Internet APN Settings
APN: internet.com
Username: wapuser1
Password: wap

Rogers MMS(Picture Messages) Settings
APN: media.com
Username: media
Password: mda01
IP Address: 172.025.000.107
Message Server: http ://mms.gprs.rogers.com

If you are using a Smartphone and the above apn does not work.
Try the one below.
Name: Rogers MMS
APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
MMSC: http ://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN Type: mms

If you are looking for the LTE Rogers APN settings then here is it:
Rogers LTE APN Settings
APN: ltemobile.apn

(No need for a username and password)
Internet APN Settings
APN: internet.com

Rogers MMS(Picture Messages) Settings
APN: media.com
Username: media
Password: mda01
IP Address: 172.025.000.107
Message Server: http ://mms.gprs.rogers.com

If you are using a Smartphone and the above apn does not work.
Try the one below.
Name: Rogers MMS
APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
MMSC: http ://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80 MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APNType: mms

If you are looking for the LTE Rogers APN settings then here is it:
Rogers LTE APN Settings
APN: ltemobile.apn
(No need for a username and password)

GoRogers APN Settings
APN: goam.com
URL: http ://mymobilehomepage.rogers.com
Port1: 80
Port2: 9203
Port3: 9201
IP1: 172.025.000.107
IP2: 208.200.067.150
IP3: 208.200.067.151
DNS1: 207.181.101.4
DNS2: 207.181.101.5

Credits: rogers apn

Excellent. Thanks for all your answers. I buy my phones outright and do not see value in a $1200 IPhone 6 ($1500 for 6 Plus) vs an HTC One M8 at $400. So, after being a customer of Apple since the 3G, I'm jumping ship. Rogers is squeezing out grandfathered iPhone contracts by insisting that a minimum of $80 be spent on your contract to upgrade to an iPhone 6. I'm hoping android is an easy transition. It looks to be a lot more interesting (and fun) GUI experience. Frankly, iPhone is getting boring. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I don't even pay for my phones and get a new one every year. IPhones are targeting teens and students but for real work, the Note series is still the benchmark.
Phone contracts are still a complete ripoff in this country.

Excellent. Thanks for all your answers. I buy my phones outright and do not see value in a $1200 IPhone 6 ($1500 for 6 Plus) vs an HTC One M8 at $400. So, after being a customer of Apple since the 3G, I'm jumping ship. Rogers is squeezing out grandfathered iPhone contracts by insisting that a minimum of $80 be spent on your contract to upgrade to an iPhone 6. I'm hoping android is an easy transition. It looks to be a lot more interesting (and fun) GUI experience. Frankly, iPhone is getting boring. Thanks again!

Exactly like me last year. Apple can't be beat for ease of use. But the customization on the androids is awesome and will keep you entertained. I love the infrared blasters on the samsung's (can be used as a universal remote.) You will never look back : ). Also the features like floating your finger above folders to see whats in them before opening are cool.

Exactly like me last year. Apple can't be beat for ease of use. But the customization on the androids is awesome and will keep you entertained. I love the infrared blasters on the samsung's (can be used as a universal remote.) You will never look back : ). Also the features like floating your finger above folders to see whats in them before opening are cool.

I switched from iPhone 4 to note 3 because I wanted a larger screen and apple didn't have one at the time. I appreciate a couple things about android, but in general, I find it inferior to the iphone. Positives are the back button, browser lets you open 20+ tabs (my iphone was limited to 8) and easy data/battery tracking per app. My main problem is the GPS sucks and if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky, it constantly loses its position. Also, it randomly loses its cell connection and must be rebooted (also happens on both of my wifes S4s).

I want my devices to work, I don't want to constantly have to fiddle with them to keep them happy. I expect I will return to iPhone in a few years when this phone gets replaced, but I'll see whats out there at the time. Apple hasn't been doing anything exciting lately and they seem to be creating more problems with their ios updates.

Apparently fun game is going to sports bars and using the IRblaster to change all the channels

Apparently fun game is going to sports bars and using the IRblaster to change all the channels

I used this feature in my LG G3 to change channels at a friends place whose TV remote could not be found. Handy..
oh, and the bar thing can be fun too :) sometimes they have *interesting* channels on the line ip ;-)

I switched from iPhone 4 to note 3 because I wanted a larger screen and apple didn't have one at the time. I appreciate a couple things about android, but in general, I find it inferior to the iphone. Positives are the back button, browser lets you open 20+ tabs (my iphone was limited to 8) and easy data/battery tracking per app. My main problem is the GPS sucks and if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky, it constantly loses its position. Also, it randomly loses its cell connection and must be rebooted (also happens on both of my wifes S4s).

I want my devices to work, I don't want to constantly have to fiddle with them to keep them happy. I expect I will return to iPhone in a few years when this phone gets replaced, but I'll see whats out there at the time. Apple hasn't been doing anything exciting lately and they seem to be creating more problems with their ios updates.

Wouldn't both those problems you listed be hardware issues and not necessarily a problem with android itself?
I've never had any problems like that with my Nexus 4 -- the biggest problem with my phone is the limited battery life.
Compared to my wife's S4 though, I much prefer Vanilla Android and don't like all that crap that samsung includes.

Wouldn't both those problems you listed be hardware issues and not necessarily a problem with android itself?
I've never had any problems like that with my Nexus 4 -- the biggest problem with my phone is the limited battery life.
Compared to my wife's S4 though, I much prefer Vanilla Android and don't like all that crap that samsung includes.
That was my thought too. The GPS relies somewhat on cell tower signal, especially when you don't have a clear view of the sky. So bad reception and bad indoor GPS could likely relate to your reception, not the OS.

What anti-virus are you going to run on the new phone?

a few thoughts

just double check that you have a micro sim and not a nano sim

rogers should give you a new micro sim free of charge (koodo updated my sim w/o charge even though I still have a tab for the older phone still going)

if you prefer buying phone outright definitely check out the nexus 5 and the one plus - both amazing value

What anti-virus are you going to run on the new phone?

hahaha.. anti-virus... how cute. iPhone trolls are so funny.

That was my thought too. The GPS relies somewhat on cell tower signal, especially when you don't have a clear view of the sky. So bad reception and bad indoor GPS could likely relate to your reception, not the OS.

Yes, they are hardware issues, not android issues, but Apple (in the past, with a few exceptions) has done a great job making hardware that works. With the 50+ android models that are released each year all racing to market as fast as possible, I expect they care less about being perfect and just aim for good enough (or even not terrible if that's what it takes to catch the xmas rush). These aren't just indoor problems, with the phone in my car (without being on the dash), GPS works ~30% of the time in the country and doesn't work downtown, the iphone would work 100% of the time without being on the dash.

I did not change carriers (bell), so whatever differences there are are hardware related. I still don't understand how a phone 4 years newer gets worse reception (especially when it is theoretically the flagship phone for a major brand).

Back
Top Bottom