DRZ400sm? Is it for my style of riding? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

DRZ400sm? Is it for my style of riding?

...or Aprilia Shiver 750 thumper w/ABS..

2013-aprilia-shiver-750-a-2_600x0w.jpg

Thumper? The Shiver is a V-twin, not a single.

I loved my DR-Z. You would enjoy it.

You may even recall when I passed you around the outside into T2 on it at TMP a few years back haha.

The bike is fun. It isn't very comfy on long trips. It will encourage you to break many laws, none of which relate to speeding. The motor is bullet proof.

It is gutless stock but with some mods it will move pretty good up to 140. Tapped with a tail wind you'll be lucky to crack 170. Grab a set of dirt rims and take it dirtbiking.

Keep your SS and add the DRZ to your stable for ***** and giggles.

Last edited:
It is gutless stock but with some mods it will move pretty good up to 140. Tapped with a tail wind you'll be lucky to crack 170. Grab a set of dirt rims and take it dirtbiking.

Lets' not forget that the stock speedo is very, I mean very optimistic ....

I would hold off judgement on the FZs for a few years, forums are populating with problems.
And what problems would those be? I've experienced no problems at all with mine so far. The ones I read on forums are due mainly to faulty PDI from the dealers, or user error.

What surprised me about the DRZ was that in doing some research everything I read seemed to indicate it performs barely above a modern 250 engine. Why pay 400cc insurance for 250cc performance?

Maybe I had bad info, though, but that steered me away from it. Plus the 5 speed gear box.

And what problems would those be? I've experienced no problems at all with mine so far. The ones I read on forums are due mainly to faulty PDI from the dealers, or user error.

Just enjoy your bike ... :)

What surprised me about the DRZ was that in doing some research everything I read seemed to indicate it performs barely above a modern 250 engine. Why pay 400cc insurance for 250cc performance?

Maybe I had bad info, though, but that steered me away from it. Plus the 5 speed gear box.

I think you had a bad info ....

I am assuming you are comparing the 400cc single against 250 single (Yamaha WR250X or CBR250) or 250 parallel twin (Ninja). The 250's stand no chance up to about 120 ... after that the better aero and higher revs on the Ninja will pull past DRZ .... but until 120 or so it is no contest simply. The 250 singles have no chance under any condition, unless the DRZ is broken.

I think you had a bad info ....

I am assuming you are comparing the 400cc single against 250 single (Yamaha WR250X or CBR250) or 250 parallel twin (Ninja). The 250's stand no chance up to about 120 ... after that the better aero and higher revs on the Ninja will pull past DRZ .... but until 120 or so it is no contest simply. The 250 singles have no chance under any condition, unless the DRZ is broken.

Yeah it was the Yamaha I was comparing against. You're right that it's not as bad as I thought.

You know the DRZ is a great economical bike. If the KTM Duke or RC390 will ever be sold here, it might mean trouble for DRZ, because the 390 makes significantly more power stock and will probably cost the same money. Maybe that will make Suzuki update the bike finally after 20 years ... LOL .... maybe they will give it a 6th gear .... one can dream right?

I had a wr250x that was really fun but am loving my KTM duke. If you're staying on the roads, it, and a 690 SMC may work for you too.

You know the DRZ is a great economical bike. If the KTM Duke or RC390 will ever be sold here, it might mean trouble for DRZ, because the 390 makes significantly more power stock and will probably cost the same money. Maybe that will make Suzuki update the bike finally after 20 years ... LOL .... maybe they will give it a 6th gear .... one can dream right?
ACT makes a wide ratio gear set for it. However, I am not too keen on it as it requires grinding down the shift forks to fit the larger gears.

Back
Top Bottom